Disney Studios to get Lucas-Land?

primetime52

Posted today:

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/index.html?t=678587#678587

Second article down... and yes, it does say Jim Hill... so not sure if that's where the info came from.

Just being observant. :D

You totally got my hopes up when I clicked on that link. I thought MGM was about to add Scarlett Johannsen land! They would definitely be on to something if that was the case.

As for the real MGM news, I was most surprised to read that they are turning the backlot tour into more of an Indiana Jones themed attraction. That's one rumor that I've never heard bofore.

If they do make a Star Wars restaurant they should theme it to be like the Moss Eisley Cantina (SP???.... sorry, I'm not much of a Star Wars nerd so my spelling might be way off.)

comics101

You totally got my hopes up when I clicked on that link. I thought MGM was about to add Scarlett Johannsen land! They would definitely be on to something if that was the case.

As for the real MGM news, I was most surprised to read that they are turning the backlot tour into more of an Indiana Jones themed attraction. That's one rumor that I've never heard bofore.

If they do make a Star Wars restaurant they should theme it to be like the Moss Eisley Cantina (SP???.... sorry, I'm not much of a Star Wars nerd so my spelling might be way off.)

I think you may be a tad confused. They'd turn the Backlot Express Restraunt into an Indy themed backlot restraunt, with props from the Indy films.

WDWEric

As I stated in another post, I don't think disney would use up a huge area to do a Lucas themed area. Not everybody is into Star Wars so for them to dedicate a huge section of the park to it might not appeal to non Star War fans. I've done Star Tours, I will take my kids on it when they are big enough but other than that I am just not interested in Star Wars. If they did a Star Wars themed land, I would not be interested and would rather go to Pixar Place. :)

Krimedog

this would ruin MGM for me. I have watched some of the Star Wars movies, and have never finished them, too boring. So if this land does happen, MGM will not be the same to me.

LudwigVonDrake

This would be great news...a "Lucas Land", add in a Pixar area and (hopefully) a more fully realized Muppet area. The Studios would be a full day trip!!!

MickeyJman06

Rumor Alert: What's Up With Disney And George Lucas?
pixel.gif

Posted By Mike on August 19, 2007

Jim Hill recently reported a number of Lucas/Disney happenings over at his site. Not sure if everything being reported is confirmed so we will treat it all as rumors...at least for now. See below for the short, short version:

1. Does not look like Disneyland's "Indiana Jones Adventure" Ride will be coming to Disneys Hollywood Studios. (the renamed MGM Themed Park)
2. Look for George Lucas' presence to expand within the park to coincide with the "Star Tours" update and additions to the "living shcaracter initiative." (Get your picture taken with Mickey and Vader)
3. A new scene or two might be swapped out in the "Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular" to add a couple scenes from Indy 4.
4. Many props in the Backlot Express eatery are to be swapped out with Lucasfilm replicas and props.
5. Lucas and Disney may be talking about broadcast rights to the live action TV series. Why not when you can introduce the characters at Star Wars Weekends. News Corp may also be in the running.

Well that is it in a nutshell. Again, please remember that this is all rumor until official anouncements come out...though it is fun to think of the possibilities.
that was from The Force net

princessmommy

This would be great for my family as I am married to the biggest Star Wars Nerd there is! Our son is even named Lucas....Sometimes I think it is after George Lucas, but other times I think it is just so that my husband can say "Luke, I am your father."

jedimaster1227

As I stated in another post, I don't think disney would use up a huge area to do a Lucas themed area. Not everybody is into Star Wars so for them to dedicate a huge section of the park to it might not appeal to non Star War fans. I've done Star Tours, I will take my kids on it when they are big enough but other than that I am just not interested in Star Wars. If they did a Star Wars themed land, I would not be interested and would rather go to Pixar Place. :)

Lucas isn't just known for Star Wars. Mind you, Indiana Jones is partially his property. Also, Iger is working relations again with Amblin Entertainment- Steven Spielberg's company. The area wouldn't be exclusively Lucas. More like Lucas/Spielberg land... :animwink:

Ausdaddy

Lucas isn't just known for Star Wars. Mind you, Indiana Jones is partially his property. Also, Iger is working relations again with Amblin Entertainment- Steven Spielberg's company. The area wouldn't be exclusively Lucas. More like Lucas/Spielberg land... :animwink:

Does Spielberg have rights to the character? I was under the impression that Indiana Jones was solely owned by Lucasfilm. Spielberg is the director and George would never do a movie without his buddy (and he gets a cut), but I was under the impression the characters and movies belong to George. After all, he came up with Indiana Jones (well, OK, Indiana Smith).

Epcot82Guy

That sounds much more plausible. Disney has some ins with some huge franchises, and this area could be well suited to put you in the middle of these major films (sort of a "epic movies area" or something). That also allows other things to be incorporated.

I sort of feel the same way about Pixar Place, but it will connect to Animation Ct., so the land could easily just become one big Animation area.

WDWEric

I think that is Spielberg is envoloved with George Lucas it could work, what do you think they could call this area?

JLW11Hi

Hmmm...why are the rumors of expansion to DHS limited to 2 film franchises that are already showcased in the park (and have been for over a decade)? Are there no other popular movies Disney can take advantage of?

Dragonrider1227

Hmmm...why are the rumors of expansion to DHS limited to 2 film franchises that are already showcased in the park (and have been for over a decade)? Are there no other popular movies Disney can take advantage of?
I know, surly you'd think they'd do SOMETHING with the Pirates of the Caribbean films. They've put them just about everywhere else :lol:

jedimaster1227

Does Spielberg have rights to the character? I was under the impression that Indiana Jones was solely owned by Lucasfilm. Spielberg is the director and George would never do a movie without his buddy (and he gets a cut), but I was under the impression the characters and movies belong to George. After all, he came up with Indiana Jones (well, OK, Indiana Smith).

The movies are owned by Lucasfilm, but Spielberg plays a major part in their production, and is therefore considered part of the process. Spielberg has the rights for Amblin. Lucas has the rights to Lucasfilm.

That sounds much more plausible. Disney has some ins with some huge franchises, and this area could be well suited to put you in the middle of these major films (sort of a "epic movies area" or something). That also allows other things to be incorporated.

I sort of feel the same way about Pixar Place, but it will connect to Animation Ct., so the land could easily just become one big Animation area.

The way it has been described to me is that the park would basically be three main areas- animation (Pixar Place), Studios Production (LMAX, Streets of America and all included) and Lucas/Spielberg Epic (Indy, Star Wars, etc.).

I think that is Spielberg is envoloved with George Lucas it could work, what do you think they could call this area?

I'm not sure, though I've heard a few titles including Epic or Adventure in them.

They aren't limited to two franchises. These two franchises already have a presence in the park and they are both going to be expanded upon. There is more to the expansion in that area than just the two franchises but the two that are already known get the publicity simply because they are already known. There are many different franchises that fit the frame of what the area will become, but don't go expecting any THX-1138 based attractions anytime soon. Mind you, this is still a movie park, so anything that gets made will be based on successful films/franchises. Money talks, failures walk. Simple enough. Disney's investment in the restructuring of Disney's (temporary) Hollywood Studios is being handled in a very fine manner and every move made will be done with the mentality that it can remain like that (once finished) for at least 10-15 years. The park will be updated accordingly, but the reason I give that timeframe of how long something should last is because this expansion will take a good period of time, and some of the final portions of the project are a few years out, so the entire project's completion will take time (not 10 years, but at least 3-5).

Enigma

Account Suspended

Spielberg has a good working relationship with Universal Studios and that is why all rides based on his movies (Jaws, Jurassic Park, E.T., etc.) reside in their parks.

The only exception has ever been Roger Rabbit which was co-owned/co-financed by Disney but because of the negotiation meltdown with Eisner in the early 90s as well as the fact that since Roger Rabbit animation has exploded with pixar, zemeckis, dreamworks, etc. and the charecter has kind of faded into obscurity I dont see them ever reviving the charecter.

A Lucas/Henson land seems much more likely because between them they have many timeless properties including Star Wars, Indiana Jones, The Muppets, as well as fantasy films such as Willow, Labyrinth, and The Dark Crystal (believe it or not these movies have quite a following). So it would definatly make sense to play up the Lucas and Henson aspects of the park to boost attendance.

TroyMcClure

I'm with you, but there's no movie or franchise that doesn't have SOME non-fans. That's like saying Universal shouldn't invest in a Harry Potter land because some people don't like Harry Potter. The Star Wars movies, though I prefer PIXAR's films, are far more successful in general.

Jekyll_Baker

The way it has been described to me is that the park would basically be three main areas- animation (Pixar Place), Studios Production (LMAX, Streets of America and all included) and Lucas/Spielberg Epic (Indy, Star Wars, etc.).

How would Sunset & Hollywood Blvds. fit into these 3 areas, or would they make up a fourth?

I'm not sure, though I've heard a few titles including Epic or Adventure in them.

Well, we know it couldn't be "Adventureland"

Enigma said:
A Lucas/Henson land seems much more likely because between them they have many timeless properties including Star Wars, Indiana Jones, The Muppets, as well as fantasy films such as Willow, Labyrinth, and The Dark Crystal (believe it or not these movies have quite a following). So it would definatly make sense to play up the Lucas and Henson aspects of the park to boost attendance.

Agree wholeheartedly. I used to love Dark Crystal myself. In fact, I think its just about to be re-released on DVD as a 20th or 25th anniversary set.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom