Disney, Storms Blamed For Universal Earnings, Attendance Decline

jcraycraft

Original Poster
Looks like Disney put a hurt to Universal this year!

http://www.local6.com/news/5348511/detail.html

POSTED: 3:08 pm EST November 17, 2005
UPDATED: 3:13 pm EST November 17, 2005

One of Central Florida's largest employers, Universal Orlando, saw its profits drop 25 percent from July until October, according to a Local 6 News report.

Attendance at Universal Orlando's two theme parks, Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure was also off 16 percent.

Universal Orlando blamed skyrocketing gas prices, a record hurricane season and Disney's Worldwide 50th Anniversary Celebration of Disneyland for the drops, Local 6 News reported.

The new numbers do not include Universal's profitable Halloween Horror Nights, Local 6 News reported.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
jcraycraft said:
Looks like Disney put a hurt to Universal this year!

http://www.local6.com/news/5348511/detail.html

POSTED: 3:08 pm EST November 17, 2005
UPDATED: 3:13 pm EST November 17, 2005

One of Central Florida's largest employers, Universal Orlando, saw its profits drop 25 percent from July until October, according to a Local 6 News report.

Attendance at Universal Orlando's two theme parks, Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure was also off 16 percent.

Universal Orlando blamed skyrocketing gas prices, a record hurricane season and Disney's Worldwide 50th Anniversary Celebration of Disneyland for the drops, Local 6 News reported.

The new numbers do not include Universal's profitable Halloween Horror Nights, Local 6 News reported.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

Of course they blame any and everything else excpet the fact that they have an inferior product.....

PaisleyMF

Of course blame it on someone else, when is a park that is kinda unatended (and i was there the Saturday before Wilma) it looked dirty and outdated (and the last time i was there was 1996) and Islands of Adventure not even get me there (yuck).

But thats my opinion i could be wrong

:hammer:

mickey04

Universal seems to have dropped the ball after IOA opened by not adding to it and delaying/ dropping any sort of plans for resort expansion. Oh well, can't say I'm too disappointed about it, to paraphrase their ad campaign, I guess people just go for the "pixie dust and fairytales." :rolleyes:

lewisc

Probably some truth. DME reduces the number of guests who rent a car. MYW ticket pricing encourages guests to purchase tickets for every day of their stay. For the extra $3 you might as well visit a park the afternoon you arrive.

No car and an already paid for ticket. That has to have some impact on Universal.

nyfrenchy

But kudos to Universal for offering a 50% discount on the renewal of the annual pass. Got mine renewed last june for less than $100 (and no, I'm not talking about FL resident pass, it was a general annual pass for both parks with plenty of perks)

I know that Halloween Horror Nights wasnt fixed into those #'s but you have to say that Universal does bring in loads of money on that event.

Islands of Adventure does have a new ride opening though soon. Not that this will help the parks attendance b/c its not a major ride. Its a ride comparitive to TTA. It will be over in Suess Landing. The track has been there since park opening but they are just now getting to the point of installing the operating system and stuff like that. So look for that to open up sometime next year. Not sure on the date.

coln84

Universal has every right to blame Disney for a loss in projects this past year and lets look at a few things.

New Attractions/Shows at Disney:
Cinderellabration (sp?)
Soarin'
Lights, Motor, Action Stunt Show
Lucky the Dinosaur (for a little bit)
Ralgan Road (sp?)

New Attractions/Shows at Universal:
The Mummy
A 2nd theater for Shrek

Gee, lets think where the people are going to go that come down often. I don't pity Universal at all, maybe its about time they finally open a new attraction at Islands. Plus look at the park hours, why spend the same amount of money to be a park that closes 3-4 maybe even 5 hours earlier!

Plus after the rude comment that Universal made about the Western Way opening up, well obviously Universal's guests aren't smart enough to follow maps and signs (or just want to avoid I4 and horrid customer service)

And the saddest part about this is that I have a annual pass to that evil company and it is definitly the worth $16/month investment have ever done. (but I've had horrible experiences with there employees)

RIPHorizons

Mickeyman819 said:
I know that Halloween Horror Nights wasnt fixed into those #'s but you have to say that Universal does bring in loads of money on that event.

Islands of Adventure does have a new ride opening though soon. Not that this will help the parks attendance b/c its not a major ride. Its a ride comparitive to TTA. It will be over in Suess Landing. The track has been there since park opening but they are just now getting to the point of installing the operating system and stuff like that. So look for that to open up sometime next year. Not sure on the date.

McBean's something or other?

Woah they are finally going to open that? Rumors were flying as to why it was never opened and if it was ever to open. Last time I looked, maybe a year and a half ago, they were most likely never going to open it because there was no way to get people off if it were ever to break down. That and because there was no walkway next to the track it was a safety issue.

Im not saying your wrong, it just took me by surprise that it even popped up. Thats cool though if they are going to finally open it.

Thanks you Mickeyman819for reminding of that :wave:

Bobble

My family was able to do everything that we wanted (all major rides) in two days. This probably adds to the decline. Disney, as we all know takes years to do everything so families take longer visits and spend more while there. The one upside to Universal is the express line available to resort guests.

tigsmom

Didn't ownership of Universal change hands at least once in the last few years? Maybe that could be part of the problems everyone has cited.

I've never been and probably never will, but thats just me.

The_CEO

Just think how screwed Universal is going to be even more in April when Expedition Everest is opened to the public.. Uh oh

DizneeFanatic

tigsmom said:
Didn't ownership of Universal change hands at least once in the last few years? Maybe that could be part of the problems everyone has cited.

I've never been and probably never will, but thats just me.

Oh and yeah, the French company Vivendi sold it to NBC, which is owned by GE.

wannab@dis

lewisc said:
Probably some truth. DME reduces the number of guests who rent a car. MYW ticket pricing encourages guests to purchase tickets for every day of their stay. For the extra $3 you might as well visit a park the afternoon you arrive.

No car and an already paid for ticket. That has to have some impact on Universal.
:lol:

Based on all your posts against DME, you really have a problem with it, don't ya?!? According to you, everyone's problems in central Florida is because of DME. :rolleyes:

imagineer boy

Maybe if IoA actually added more rides instead of going on and one about how awesome spider man is, maybe they could actually raise their attendance!

djronnieb

I have only been to Universal twice, once in 1986 and again in March 2005. Both times the park was dirty, looked liked it need lots of work done and pretty much just sucked. When I went in march we arrived at 10am and had gone on every single ride/show besides the mummy (it was broken that day) by 2:30pm. So 4 1/2 hours to do almost everything.... talk about needing to add some stuff...

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
I like universal, but they just cant compete on the level that disney can. Especially with the ownership change

pat_naughty05

There are also heavy rumors concerning an upcoming announcement. This announcement is expected to coincide with the announcement for the 4th Jurassic Park film (maybe this one won't suck terribly). Looks like a BIG attraction is coming to the Jurassic Park area over at Islands of Adventure. Of course, this is all speculation and rumor, but a lot of us Universal fans are expecting the announcement before the end of the year.

By the way, I'm sure you guys can see I'm just as much a Universal fan as I am a Disney fan. I really do enjoy both resorts for different reasons. If I'm traveling with family, I'd probably prefer a trip to Disney. But if I'm with friends my age, it's Universal hands down. I went to Halloween Horror Nights and it was PACKED. I do believe that this is Universal's highest profiting event for the year. By the way, for anyone who cares, it was friggin awesome.

That being said, you guys seem to really dislike Universal as a whole. While Universal Studios itself doesn't compare to many of Disney's parks, Islands of Adventure is beyond Disney on every level. Of course, that is only my opinion. I will not try to force it on anyone else, but I would simply like to state it. The theming throughout IOA is nothing short of incredible. Disney theming is not bad, but I don't think it quite compares to this. I do believe the theming of the upcoming Expedition Everest will be comparable, however, to the theming seen at IOA. But aside from that, IOA has the top theme park spot on my list. I do often wish that it was a little bigger, and that they would add another big attraction, but the rides and theming already there are incredible.

Okay, I'm done.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom