Disney Stores to start offering World of Disney Store-like merchandise

Pixieish

What was wrong with the old website for the Disney Store?....What was wrong with the old website for Walt Disney World?...Why is it so freakin complicated to put things straight forward like anymore??...

Ugh. I really don't like the websites at all. I completely agree. It is not user friendly. It feels like I am trying to go through a kids toy box to find my dish towels...honestly.:banghead:

Disney is making the same mistake most of the news outlet websites are making - they're trying to make a "one size fits all" website for computers, tablets AND phones. Unfortunately, that makes for a very poor user experience on the computer end. A smarter move would be to develop an app for the mobile devices and leave the website usable for computers. Too many people making decisions like this forget that contrary to what advertising would like you to believe, tablets and phones aren't the only way people access the net, and computers aren't going anywhere.

Last edited:

dreamfinder

Disney is making the same mistake most of the news outlet websites are making - they're trying to make a "one size fits all" website for computers, tablets AND phones. Unfortunately, that makes for a very poor user experience on the computer end. A smarter move would be to develop an app for the mobile devices and leave the website usable for computers. Too many people making decisions like this forget that contrary to what advertising would like you to believe, tablets and phones aren't the only way people access the net, and computers aren't going anywhere.

Except when people browse to a site using their tablet/phone and are told they need to download an app, a lot of the customers navigate away and don't return. Forcing someone just browsing to stop looking, switch to their app store, locate and download the app, and then use the app to shop is too involved for alot of people. They don't want/need whatever item that much.

A well designed website can serve multiple platforms, without having to force people to do things like that.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Except when people browse to a site using their tablet/phone and are told they need to download an app, a lot of the customers navigate away and don't return. Forcing someone just browsing to stop looking, switch to their app store, locate and download the app, and then use the app to shop is too involved for alot of people. They don't want/need whatever item that much.

A well designed website can serve multiple platforms, without having to force people to do things like that.

Keyword is 'Well Designed' too often websites are now designed by graphic artists with no thought given to usability

cosmicgirl

Agreed. There are plenty of websites that send you to a different version depending on the device that is detected. That is the only way everybody wins if you ask me: not yet another app to install and a user-friendly interface on all devices. The mistake that some make is to make their mobile site too simplistic, resulting in a url hidden under something along the lines of "view this page on our full site". At that point it becomes annoying for mobile users yet again when you need to access something that is impossible to get to on the mobile site.

MissM

If you want to use an app on mobile, just install the Shop Disney Parks app. At least there you get Passholder discount which doesn't apply to the shopdisney.com site.

Goofyernmost

What was wrong with the old website for the Disney Store?....What was wrong with the old website for Walt Disney World?...Why is it so freakin complicated to put things straight forward like anymore??...

Ugh. I really don't like the websites at all. I completely agree. It is not user friendly. It feels like I am trying to go through a kids toy box to find my dish towels...honestly.:banghead:
Seems to be the trend everywhere. I noticed the other day that even Walmart, just updated their DIY, self checkout screen to a jumble of words with no pattern. I have been using sites fairly successfully for years now, but, that one frustrates the hell out of me. Just trying to find the location to move on is crazy. I don't usually complain about things like that, but, my guess is that they want you to go back to the tellers again. Couple that with bags that take a team of lawyers to open and self serve is not appealing to me anymore.

Man, I miss the old Disney Stores and Disney Catalogue. So many great adult oriented items we ordered from there, Mickey statue for the garden, clocks, my old Eeyore denim jacket that I wore for a decade...

I actually went inside a Disney Store a few months ago, there was literally nothing for adults there. Insane. It's as if they completely forgot that adults are Disney fans.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Seems to be the trend everywhere. I noticed the other day that even Walmart, just updated their DIY, self checkout screen to a jumble of words with no pattern. I have been using sites fairly successfully for years now, but, that one frustrates the hell out of me. Just trying to find the location to move on is crazy. I don't usually complain about things like that, but, my guess is that they want you to go back to the tellers again. Couple that with bags that take a team of lawyers to open and self serve is not appealing to me anymore.

With the sole exception of fuel, Self serve has never appealed to me, Yes items cost a bit more but it also provides badly needed jobs for people so i always militantly refuse the self serve lanes

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
With the sole exception of fuel, Self serve has never appealed to me, Yes items cost a bit more but it also provides badly needed jobs for people so i always militantly refuse the self serve lanes
Self serve is my go to when I have had a long day at work and don't feel like talking with a cashier at the grocery store.

Pirate Magic

I know this won't happen but if Disney made at least some stores unique "flagship" stores, perhaps themed to a unique part of the Magic Kingdom (think a Trader Sam's but as a store) with SFX, maybe a few show pieces like an imagineering model or original artwork... People would flock to the stores. I know I would go out of my way to see them when I travel.

Look at how apple spends so much money on unique flagship stores, they get it. It's not just about getting money from that store, it's about the brand image.

We had a Flagship store in New York on 5th Avenue. It was my favorite store, I loved going in there. It was like going back to Disney ( I use to go there for my Disney fix), but they closed it and opened their carbon copy store (like the one in our mall here in Queens). Those stores are disappointment they all look alike there is no imagination in them at all.

UpAllNight

Not impressed with the quality of some of the stuff I bought from Disney World this year. I mean, I know there’s a load of cheap tat, but when you spend $40 on a pen you expect it to write. The pair of us got one, in different styles, and neither worked. We bought 2 of the large coffee travel type cups too for $20 each and water got down the side of both and couldn’t be fixed....a load of absolute trash to be honest. Lesson learned.

cosmicgirl

They've added a filter option for parks merch under the "new" and "sale" section. Maybe someone read my survey results ;). Then again, the images are still awful.

Cmdr_Crimson

The closest "Park related" merch I had seen at my local store so far is a small corner that has Mickey Gloves and assorted character hats...

Nemo14

We were at our closest Disney store today (out of state) and the only park merchandise we saw were some Disneyland shirts and ears. Rather odd, considering we were in Massachusetts at the time...

brb1006

I still miss when Disney Stores was called "The Disney Store" and looked like this. That was back when the store had more variety for kids and adults.
25de1be46002856c31c678f8f93b3486--disney-magic-disney-cruiseplan.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom