Disney Stores to start offering World of Disney Store-like merchandise

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
I too liked the Disney Stores in the beginning that had items for Disney enthusiasts as well as for families and kids. They did it right back then, until they overexpanded, then they rebranded everything to be cheap kids' things. I liked the books about Walt and Art of Animation, the real MM watches, the adult T-shirts, all along with the kids' things you would expect.

It was classy. I remember that Michael Eisner had envisioned them as a little bit of the parks in your local area. And the imagineers had designed the fixtures that way, as a mix of practical and exceptionally detailed. They were destination stores, and should still be today.
^ 1,000 times this. Man I remember being so excited as a kid when ever we ventured just to the mall because the Disney Store felt like being right back in the parks. They even had animated AAs in the front display windows!

dreamfinder

Since they stopped selling stuff like original production used cels it's gone down hill. And fast. Normal Disney Stores get about 45 seconds of my time, just long enough to walk straight to the back and out again. The outlets usually get 5-10 minutes while I dig through all the Disney Parks merch. DLR only, but the prices on that stuff is great.

aladdin2007

I understand this thread is more about the physical disney store, but I noticed disneystore.com is gone, and its now shopdisney? is this the same as the app now? my complaint with the app is the majority of disney world items are all in store purchase only anymore, you cant order nearly as much from it like you could a few months ago.

wwmmd

The stores need stuff for all ages. My tweens have ZERO interest in going into a Disney Store since there is nothing inside that they want to look at. Everything is for little kids with the exception of the mugs. Now it sounds like they'll have merchandise for the older crowd, but what about those inbetween?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I too liked the Disney Stores in the beginning that had items for Disney enthusiasts as well as for families and kids. They did it right back then, until they overexpanded, then they rebranded everything to be cheap kids' things. I liked the books about Walt and Art of Animation, the real MM watches, the adult T-shirts, all along with the kids' things you would expect.

It was classy. I remember that Michael Eisner had envisioned them as a little bit of the parks in your local area. And the imagineers had designed the fixtures that way, as a mix of practical and exceptionally detailed. They were destination stores, and should still be today.
There's no ROI on fixtures that don't sell. It's MBA 101.

BrowncatP

I agree with most of you. I always stop and go in to see what is in the Disney store and leave. I then mutter under my breath how I could run the stores SO much better. It is NOT just the little ones that the merchandise should be for.

montyz81

Are you referring to current Disney Store outlet shops?
The outlet store up here in NH is the only Disney store in all of NH. It is pretty kid focused. They have parks stuff there, but mostly from Disneyland. They don't seem like they are moving in the direction described in article.

Obobru

I think when they sold them to Children's Place was the lowest point with bland stores only focused on plush and clothes for kids. Since they bought them back they haven't done much with them and I half expected them to go the way of Kmart with gradual closings but it seems someone in the company has remembered that they own the stores and has decided to make them a pet project, lets see how long they get some focus and if this will be short lived. The stores could do with some updating but it could be up being half assed with only some stores getting updates and new products rather than having a consistent store brand.

Disney-Trains

I know this won't happen but if Disney made at least some stores unique "flagship" stores, perhaps themed to a unique part of the Magic Kingdom (think a Trader Sam's but as a store) with SFX, maybe a few show pieces like an imagineering model or original artwork... People would flock to the stores. I know I would go out of my way to see them when I travel.

Look at how apple spends so much money on unique flagship stores, they get it. It's not just about getting money from that store, it's about the brand image.

the.dreamfinder

I know this won't happen but if Disney made at least some stores unique "flagship" stores, perhaps themed to a unique part of the Magic Kingdom (think a Trader Sam's but as a store) with SFX, maybe a few show pieces like an imagineering model or original artwork... People would flock to the stores. I know I would go out of my way to see them when I travel.

Look at how apple spends so much money on unique flagship stores, they get it. It's not just about getting money from that store, it's about the brand image.
Ron Johnson, the executive who created the Apple Stores with Steve, is a free agent.

seabreezept813

Are the only Disney store outlets the two in Orlando?
We have one in Mass, I'm sure there are others outside Florida. But it was odd, almost all of the mall Disney stores closed (at least 3 I know of across the state), but one outlet opened. I miss when the stores were easier to access...

Disone

There's no ROI on fixtures that don't sell. It's MBA 101.
That's a little bit too black and white. The adult merchandise sold, it just didn't sell as well as the children's merchandise. It did however give the adults a reason to visit the store. In doing so it increased foot traffic and the likelihood of some sort of sale. Maybe the adult did end up buying a plush toy and a child's clothing item, but they originally came in because that snow globe and artwork caught their eye.

Tavernacle12

Is it ok to point out the new website is utterly terrible and not user friendly at all here? Why split Pixar and WDAS stuff? Why does everything now require 2 to 4 more clicks and scrolls to locate? Why is nothing scalable if you want to zoom in or out? Why are the sale and new product pages so poorly designed? Why is everything so big so you can't see more than four items on your screen at any time? Why is everything so utterly devoid of personality?

Stitchon

In a way, the new store format seems to summarize Disney as a whole: it's no longer a distinct brand, it's just a holding company for various franchises and IPs. Imagination Park fit the classic Disney branding of the castle, magic, pixie dust, and so on. This new store is a blank slate where brands can come and go without any notice.

Once upon a time they did exactly that. The old Disney Store flagships in San Francisco, New York, and Vegas were sights to be seen. The only store left with that flagship format (I think) is State Street in Chicago, and the merchandise is the same as every other Disney Store out there.

Ron Johnson, the executive who created the Apple Stores with Steve, is a free agent.
After the JCPenney debacle he's damaged goods. Though IIRC he was in charge when the company brokered the Disney / JCPenney shop-in-shop deal.

Last edited:

anchorman314

We have one in Mass, I'm sure there are others outside Florida. But it was odd, almost all of the mall Disney stores closed (at least 3 I know of across the state), but one outlet opened. I miss when the stores were easier to access...
If it's the outlet store I'm thinking of, it's not a true "Disney Outlet". It's just a Disney Store that happens to be in a "Premium Outlet" shopping center and carries a very small selection of discount goods. I'd say that 90% of the merchandise there is regular Disney Store stuff.

Cmdr_Crimson

Are the only Disney store outlets the two in Orlando?

Nope.. Out here in Illinois are big mall Gurnee Mills has a Disney Store Outlet that sells a Mix of WDW & DL merchandise in a back corner area dedicated for park stuff...There's also an Outlet out in Wisconsin Dells as well...

However the one's in the Premium's in Orlando I do believe are run by Disney as it's exclusive to Orlando..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom