Disney Stores to start offering World of Disney Store-like merchandise

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Hmm, in Marketing 101 (since MBA is not a subject but instead a degree), they usually teach that, besides "location, location, location," another big determining factor in return on investment is PRESENTATION.

High quality presentation helps increase traffic AND supports a higher price point and perception of value... which increases ROI.

Did I throw out enough MBA terms and lessons to help you understand why more attractive design would help ROI... kind of like Walt Disney taught us with his attention to detail at Disneyland itself?

MBA is a degree but its a mindset as well and a bad one at that

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Why are they doing away with colors?:arghh:

Everything is going to a plain white background, looks so very boring and like you guys have said. No personality.

Gawd I really hope this isn't the World of Disney store's demise that will soon be Shop Disney store. :cry:

Flounder-Is-Upset-In-The-Little-Mermaid-Gif.gif

Because a monochrome color scheme is CHEAP, Multiple colors need priming undercoats and topcoats necessitating skilled painters.

White means that you can pick up a crew at the local Lowes/Home Depot/Labor Ready

Like everything else at Disney today its all about the benjamins

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
There's a video walkthrough of one of the new flagship "Shop Disney" stores in California on youtube:

They're changing over from "Disney Store" to "Shop Disney" and are trying to make it a more upscale experience. They are even going to have the Disney Dooney & Bourke bags apparently (which were previously in park, online, or in Shop Disney Parks App only. NOT in physical stores.)

Screencapture:
View attachment 234337

Slatwall does not make a 'High End' experience.

Disney is aping apple which does have a white vibe. BUT every surface and finish in an Apple store is top qualiity. No cheap particleboard with melamine laminate anywhere unlike Disney

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Hmm, in Marketing 101 (since MBA is not a subject but instead a degree), they usually teach that, besides "location, location, location," another big determining factor in return on investment is PRESENTATION.

High quality presentation helps increase traffic AND supports a higher price point and perception of value... which increases ROI.

Did I throw out enough MBA terms and lessons to help you understand why more attractive design would help ROI... kind of like Walt Disney taught us with his attention to detail at Disneyland itself?
Disney USED TO believe that. Now, anything fancier than a steel shelf is more expensive than it has to be.

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
Because a monochrome color scheme is CHEAP, Multiple colors need priming undercoats and topcoats necessitating skilled painters.

White means that you can pick up a crew at the local Lowes/Home Depot/Labor Ready

Like everything else at Disney today its all about the benjamins
Didn't Disney used to focus on creativity versus their profit revenue?...

Or am I just dreaming?

castlecake2.0

There's a video walkthrough of one of the new flagship "Shop Disney" stores in California on youtube:

They're changing over from "Disney Store" to "Shop Disney" and are trying to make it a more upscale experience. They are even going to have the Disney Dooney & Bourke bags apparently (which were previously in park, online, or in Shop Disney Parks App only. NOT in physical stores.)

Screencapture:
View attachment 234337

The Disney Store will still be The Disney Store. It's just the online store that is rebranding to Shop Disney

EDIT. I see what you mean about shop Disney in that video, there is a big push right now to market the new website and items available on it, but "the Disney Store" brand will not be going away :)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I know, and some business school texts have actually cited Disney and Disneyland in particular as case studies for how to do it right (back when they knew that attention to detail and presentation, or "show" as real Disney folks called it, really attracted customers, created loyalty, and increased perception of value).

Nowadays if something will not accrue to profit in 90 days or less it does not get done

Obobru

They're changing over from "Disney Store" to "Shop Disney" and are trying to make it a more upscale experience.

If "upscale" means looking like they bought up all the store fittings from all the closed down Gap stores they did a great job. If they meant upscale as in looking like a decent store they failed.

jaklgreen

We used to have 2 Disney stores in my city. But when they sold them to the Children's store company they ran them to the ground and both closed. They have not reopened any here since they bought them back. I am hoping that they start opening stores in our location again. The closest is about 3 hours away.

Brer Oswald

All I care is that they improve the merchandise selection, which is what this rebranding appears to do. The current Disney store theming isn't that great to begin with, so this doesn't seem like much of a step down. Sure, a missed opportunity maybe, but considering the last update wasn't that long ago, I'll take what I can get! This gets me excited and I hope it opens in my area eventually!

cosmicgirl

+1 on hating the new website. I received an e-mail introducing it and had a look. They probably regret having the site ask me for feedback afterwards... it's so user-unfriendly that it made me wonder if anyone even bothered to look at it on a desktop instead of a phone or a tablet. It's an absolute nightmare on a 27" QHD (1440p) monitor and it was impossible to filter for what I wanted to see so I just gave up. And where the heck did my wish list go?!

As for the store in that video, it doesn't look much more appealing to me than the "old" ones. Maybe I'll do the tour in 60 seconds now instead of 45. They changed the Emporium at DLP from this beautiful warm dark wood to bright white maybe ten years ago and it ruined the whole vibe and made the merchandise look cheap(er) imo. Yes, the wood was dark, but it was super classy and it fit in beautifully with Main Street and the arcades and somehow it made the merchandise look classier than it was, too. The white interior just put the cheapness front and center. I sure hope the Disney Store merch improves, but I'm not impressed so far.

And yes! World of Disney in NY was awesome!

DisneyDreamer08

We have one in Mass, I'm sure there are others outside Florida. But it was odd, almost all of the mall Disney stores closed (at least 3 I know of across the state), but one outlet opened. I miss when the stores were easier to access...

We also live in MA and used to have 2 Disney stores within driving distance. Both closed a few years back :( The outlet is about 40 minutes from us but I’ve only been there once. I very rarely shop online because you have to pay for shipping. It stinks, I used to love browsing through the old Disney Store. I almost always bought something from the clearance section because hey, it was such a deal!

I also used to love the huge circle stuffed animal display at the back of the store. And the sing a long movie clip screens :)

Pixieish

Is it ok to point out the new website is utterly terrible and not user friendly at all here? Why split Pixar and WDAS stuff? Why does everything now require 2 to 4 more clicks and scrolls to locate? Why is nothing scalable if you want to zoom in or out? Why are the sale and new product pages so poorly designed? Why is everything so big so you can't see more than four items on your screen at any time? Why is everything so utterly devoid of personality?

Because Disney doesn't hire good website designers. Even the parks website is absolutely awful.

Bocabear

I know this won't happen but if Disney made at least some stores unique "flagship" stores, perhaps themed to a unique part of the Magic Kingdom (think a Trader Sam's but as a store) with SFX, maybe a few show pieces like an imagineering model or original artwork... People would flock to the stores. I know I would go out of my way to see them when I travel.

Look at how apple spends so much money on unique flagship stores, they get it. It's not just about getting money from that store, it's about the brand image.
The thing is, in their heyday, Disney Stores were beautiful, each unique, lots of moving props and beautiful design...they carried more varied and interesting products, there were even Disney Gallery stores where you could buy original art, housewares, china... To go to a Disney Store in the early days was kind of a mini event....then they stripped everything down and made them bland and cheap...no longer special... So, they know how to make an engaging store if they want to...they just choose to aim low.

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
What was wrong with the old website for the Disney Store?....What was wrong with the old website for Walt Disney World?...Why is it so freakin complicated to put things straight forward like anymore??...

Ugh. I really don't like the websites at all. I completely agree. It is not user friendly. It feels like I am trying to go through a kids toy box to find my dish towels...honestly.:banghead:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom