Disney Stores to start offering World of Disney Store-like merchandise

aladdin2007

Is it ok to point out the new website is utterly terrible and not user friendly at all here? Why split Pixar and WDAS stuff? Why does everything now require 2 to 4 more clicks and scrolls to locate? Why is nothing scalable if you want to zoom in or out? Why are the sale and new product pages so poorly designed? Why is everything so big so you can't see more than four items on your screen at any time? Why is everything so utterly devoid of personality?

agree!!

75disney

I shopped the new site yesterday. It was a little difficult to navigate (might just take some getting used to) and check out gave me some problems. For some reason, it kept emptying my cart. I was thrilled though that the two Alex and Ani bracelets (Sleeping Beauty Castle and Mickey's Fun Wheel) that I have wanted for months were both available in silver. I jumped on them immediately. Disney Parks app and old Disney Store on line hadn't had them for a while. Yay!

dreamfinder

Are the only Disney store outlets the two in Orlando?

Nope. There are Disney Store Outlets around the country. Those are (at least the ones I have been in) located in outlet malls, are something like 90% identical in merchandise to a regular Disney Store with a small corner dedicated to clearance merchandise, both from the Disney Store as well as from the Disney Parks. My understanding is that East coast stores get DLR merch, while West coast stores get WDW merch, since the park demographics tend to be flipped. Keeps people from just shopping local instead of at the park.

The outlets in Orlando (and occasionally elsewhere, there had been one in Vegas at one time I believe) are Character Warehouse (think one was Character Premier? at one time) and those focus mostly on park merchandise. As such, they aren't "Disney Store" outlets. Some may be full price merch, but most of it is discounted.

Magenta Panther

This is very welcome news.

Bring back the Disney Store of the mid-late 90s, I say. Our mall used to have a wonderful Disney Store, complete with a gallery that sold adult collectibles and art, along with a decent selection of adult apparel and watches. Then it closed for remodeling, and when it reopened it was completely devoid of anything not aimed at children.

Every time I go to the mall, I go to the Disney Store out of some sort of guilty obligation-maybe this time they'll have something that isn't a plush toy or doll set-and I always leave empty-handed.

A guy can only have so many Disney mugs!
(And I do have so many Disney mugs. :cautious:)

I hear you. Disney Stores are huge disappointments to adult fans. I have to look elsewhere if I want a cool adult tee. Usually my only recourse is Ebay.

prberk

There's no ROI on fixtures that don't sell. It's MBA 101.

Hmm, in Marketing 101 (since MBA is not a subject but instead a degree), they usually teach that, besides "location, location, location," another big determining factor in return on investment is PRESENTATION.

High quality presentation helps increase traffic AND supports a higher price point and perception of value... which increases ROI.

Did I throw out enough MBA terms and lessons to help you understand why more attractive design would help ROI... kind of like Walt Disney taught us with his attention to detail at Disneyland itself?

dreamfinder

Hmm, in Marketing 101 (since MBA is not a subject but instead a degree), they usually teach that, besides "location, location, location," another big determining factor in return on investment is PRESENTATION.

High quality presentation helps increase traffic AND supports a higher price point and perception of value... which increases ROI.

Did I throw out enough MBA terms and lessons to help you understand why more attractive design would help ROI... kind of like Walt Disney taught us with his attention to detail at Disneyland itself?

This is why companies spend time and money designing their own POP displays and pushing for stores to use them instead of just sticking their product on the shelf. And why most chains will periodically update/refresh their store layout and fixtures to stay current.

prberk

This is why companies spend time and money designing their own POP displays and pushing for stores to use them instead of just sticking their product on the shelf. And why most chains will periodically update/refresh their store layout and fixtures to stay current.

I know, and some business school texts have actually cited Disney and Disneyland in particular as case studies for how to do it right (back when they knew that attention to detail and presentation, or "show" as real Disney folks called it, really attracted customers, created loyalty, and increased perception of value).

COProgressFan

Disney used to value this concept, but in many instances this is no longer the direction they are headed.

In a way, the new store format seems to summarize Disney as a whole: it's no longer a distinct brand, it's just a holding company for various franchises and IPs. Imagination Park fit the classic Disney branding of the castle, magic, pixie dust, and so on. This new store is a blank slate where brands can come and go without any notice.

I've heard rumors of major changes coming to the World of Disney at Springs next year, and the "blank slate where brands can come and go without any notice" is playing heavily into it, sadly. Seems like a larger version of this generic Disney store concept.

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
Is it ok to point out the new website is utterly terrible and not user friendly at all here? Why split Pixar and WDAS stuff? Why does everything now require 2 to 4 more clicks and scrolls to locate? Why is nothing scalable if you want to zoom in or out? Why are the sale and new product pages so poorly designed? Why is everything so big so you can't see more than four items on your screen at any time? Why is everything so utterly devoid of personality?
Not to mention the pictures decide which time they want to load...I hate the new design.

Seriously, why does every single webpage have to look like a freakin phone app?? I get on my computer to get away from using apps people.

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
I've heard rumors of major changes coming to the World of Disney at Springs next year, and the "blank slate where brands can come and go without any notice" is playing heavily into it, sadly. Seems like a larger version of this generic Disney store concept.

Please tell me your joking...o_O:banghead::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

MissM

There's a video walkthrough of one of the new flagship "Shop Disney" stores in California on youtube:

They're changing over from "Disney Store" to "Shop Disney" and are trying to make it a more upscale experience. They are even going to have the Disney Dooney & Bourke bags apparently (which were previously in park, online, or in Shop Disney Parks App only. NOT in physical stores.)

Screencapture:
shopdisney-dooney1.jpg

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
I don't mind that we are given other products, but why the redesign? I see no need for that. It looks like it is turning into a normal looking retail store...

"Ya know Disney (if you're listening), you don't have to fix what ain't broke. Just saying."

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
There's a video walkthrough of one of the new flagship "Shop Disney" stores in California on youtube:

They're changing over from "Disney Store" to "Shop Disney" and are trying to make it a more upscale experience. They are even going to have the Disney Dooney & Bourke bags apparently (which were previously in park, online, or in Shop Disney Parks App only. NOT in physical stores.)

Screencapture:
View attachment 234337

Why are they doing away with colors?:arghh:

Everything is going to a plain white background, looks so very boring and like you guys have said. No personality.

Gawd I really hope this isn't the World of Disney store's demise that will soon be Shop Disney store. :cry:

Flounder-Is-Upset-In-The-Little-Mermaid-Gif.gif

bigrigross

Why are they doing away with colors?:arghh:

Everything is going to a plain white background, looks so very boring and like you guys have said. No personality.

Gawd I really hope this isn't the World of Disney store's demise that will soon be Shop Disney store. :cry:

I for one find it more aesthetically pleasing and not so many colors your eyes cant focus. At least thats like the current store in Indianapolis. Nothing wrong with modernizing the store. Currently it looks like something out of the 90s and its bleh.

COProgressFan

I remember visiting the Disney Store in NYC in 2006. 3 stories of all kinds of merchandise, and a very good and unique experience.

It was nice in its prime. They had all the artwork and collectibles on the third floor and would occasionally do character meets up there. It was a fun place to browse.

The best part of the Fifth Avenue store were the nice, clean bathrooms in the basement level...a great find in Manhattan!

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
I for one find it more aesthetically pleasing and not so many colors your eyes cant focus. At least thats like the current store in Indianapolis. Nothing wrong with modernizing the store. Currently it looks like something out of the 90s and its bleh.
To each their own. I've just always liked the way the 90s Disney stores looked and probably always will because...nostalgia.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
There's no ROI on fixtures that don't sell. It's MBA 101.

Yes it's MBA 101 to whom the 'Dollar Store' is an ideal. But in the real world those items bring in shoppers who ordinarily would bypass the establishment and purchase other high end merchandise.

I remember a local high end decor shop who had a $10,000 music box that had interchangeable tune disks. It brought in a class of customers who COULD afford to buy it but chose not to but usually also bought several hundred dollars worth of decor items.

They finally sold it for about 2x list price to a customer who would not leave without it...

That's what 'special' items do for a business.

And yes they are trying to get another one...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom