Disney Store ??

WildLodgeFan

I would be happy to see an expansion of items online. I used to be a CM for the Disney Catalog years ago (1990-1995) and I truly have missed in recent years the selection they used to have. They only offer a fraction of the stuff they used to.

monorailguy01

I heard disney bought the rights back to the Disney store chain.
There is a few disney stores by me that will be selling stuff from the parks once again.

goofntink

I haven't been up to my local mall in a while so I'm not sure what the status of our Disney store is. Anyone know what's up with the Sanford, FL location?
Seminole Towne Center and Florida Mall location are still open. The Altamonte Mall store was closed.

raven

Pretty much all stores that were due to close have or will in the next week. TDS's that are remaining are under WDW !

Wrong. The remaining stores are run under the Disney Consumer Products portion of the company. DCP also does merchandising for Disney Parks Division but WDW itself isn't running the local Disney Stores. DCP is run out of their offices in California but the Stores will be separate from the Disney Parks merchandising division. Some merchandise may carry over though.

I worked for one of the stores that closed and needed to get proof-of-employment for a bank so I could cash my check. Although my paycheck came from Lake Buena Vista Florida, the business offices for the stores that I had to call were in California. And it wasn't easy finding someone who knew what they were doing either. :brick:

NCState

I would be happy to see an expansion of items online. I used to be a CM for the Disney Catalog years ago (1990-1995) and I truly have missed in recent years the selection they used to have. They only offer a fraction of the stuff they used to.

I loved the Disney Catalogs are they still around? I would love to see one now.

sweetale

So did mine. So did you guys receive the tiny tin of cookies to share with all your CMs back in May like we did?

"Thanks for your years of service to The Disney Store. Please partake in a cookie and here's a 10% off coupon for you to use on Friends and Family Day."

Like I really want a discount on King Louie plush, 3 foot Sleeping Beauty or Oswald merchandise. :fork:[/quote.]

Well that stinks that was all you got for years of hard work! And a little OT: I was very surprised that the Somerset store closed considering how much of a "destination" mall it is! Perhaps they were not interested in continuing to pay the ridiculous rent that is charged :).

raven

Well that stinks that was all you got for years of hard work! And a little OT: I was very surprised that the Somerset store closed considering how much of a "destination" mall it is! Perhaps they were not interested in continuing to pay the ridiculous rent that is charged :).

A fellow Clawson member! 14 & Rochester here!

Yes it's a shame. When Hoop bought the Somerset TDS they coldn't keep up with the rent or even fill the giant store with enough merchandise. So they moved it to an empty store that was less rent and in a tiny corner of the mall.

wdwfan100

Our Disney store also closed. Bummer. The bigger bummer, is that my wife inquired about the store display items, and the manager told my wife that she was required to smash all display items and take pictures, so no items could be sold to the public. :fork:

I am so bummed! Our local Disney Store in our mall just closed last week.
It is very depressing to see it dark and empty.

Is there any where you can go on the web and find out what stores will remain open and what stores are closing?

barkatozz

I think it would be cool to be able to purchase items from WDW via their web site. I have always been very frustrated with the selection of items available online. For instance; my wife LOVES Grumpy, at Disney World there is Grumpy stuff everywhere!!, online has maybe 3 or 4 items. Not much help when looking for a birthday or Christmas gift.

I also was not very interested in calling some 800# to purchase items. I would rather look through all of the items and then pick which one would be best (can't do that over the phone)
Well....they have more than 3 to 4 items of Grumpy....trust me, I check there often for the new stuff as it is released then go to the DS to see if they have it.
On a side note, I recently visited the 2 stores that are close to me & they didn't look like they were closing at all. I am not too thrilled about park merch being available at Disney Stores.....it'll kinda make the WDW shopping experience a little less thrilling. Kinda reminds me of when I used to go to concerts & by a shirt, only to find it at the mall a few months later....and cheaper.

freakman

I live in near one of the few disney stores in canada. Luckily I am near one that makes money and turns a profit so it will not be closing...as long as I am around they will turn a profit. I spend a small fortune there :ROFLOL:. I talked to one of employees there and they said what is closing has already closed ...still can't use mastercard and interact due to system upgrade...been like this since dis took over. Hoping for new stuff like when Disney first owned it...the statues like you can get in the parks, sericels and common disney time works watches.

TheDisneyGirl02

I don't see how Disney would own these fittings. The stores closing are owned by Hoop which is in chapter 11 and therefore Disney are not taking them on or it would have to take on loads of leases it doesn't want. Hoop don't want the fittings and Disney don't want them to end up being used in cheap stores that my buy them to use.

Trust me, Disney maintained the rights to the animation in all of the stores, that is why they were all destroyed. Even though we were owned by TCP for a while, Disney had a strong hand in what was going on as far as the stores. Most everyday guests never even noticed (at least at my store) that we changed hands from Disney to TCP and now back to Disney again.

bugsbunny

I work right near the Cherry Hill, NJ store. This was one of the original "flagship" stores and was the first to get a makeover a few years ago. It basically sold over priced crap that nobody wanted....I sensed a trend there! And sure enough, that sales model went right into the toilet and Childrens Place had little choice but to sell it back to Disney. I think they lost like $80 million last year.

I'm waiting to see what happens to the selection at the stores. Currently, I just wait a few weeks and as the inventory gets rotated towards the back of the store, the price keeps getting cut. Eventually, it makes it to the half the original price point AND THEN gets an additional %40 off of that.

I saw they had some cool picnic cups, pitchers, etc. But there was no way I was going to pay $5.50 for a plastic cup and $14.50 for a pitcher. I just played the waiting game for like 2 weeks and sure enough, it paid off.

Today, I picked up the Mickey Mouse plastic cups, a pitcher, and a matching mustard and ketchup squeeze bottles. 6 16oz cups, a 64 oz pitcher, and the squeeze bottles should have been $56 plus 7% sales tax = $59.92. Instead, I got it all for $19.83. :sohappy:

So as long as they don't bring in "theme park" merchandise and expect us to pay "theme park" pricing, it will be a good deal. But then, I'm lucky enough to get to WDW a few times a year and get that stuff in person, so no big deal. :animwink:

markjohns1

If I may resurrect this thread, for those in the St. Louis area, a Disney Store Outlet (which I assume is the new brand of the Disney Stores) is opening at the Mills mall. It looks like it is set to open by this holiday season. Considering there were three Disney stores new me in the St. Louis area that all closed, I would keep an eye out in any of those cities who had all of their Disney stores close. They may be coming back in a more consolidated manner!

EPCOT Explorer

I was at my new Disney Outlet today. A huge wall of HSM and Camp Rock. Awesome store!!!!

Anyway, I am a bit disappointed that they will have park merchandise in the stores. I like the fact that I need to go to WDW to get some items. WOD in Manhatten sells park merchandise and I like that because it is unique. Great store!!!! It may sound weird but I like that there are some things that I may have that others cannot get unless they go to WDW. Kind of sets things apart.

I feel a little but like that but I'm thrilled the level of Disney quality will be back in the stores.:sohappy:

raven

Any MI people here know if the Southland DS or the Great Lakes Crossing DS closed??? I hope there is at least one still around in the Detroit area!!

Southland, GLC (Great Lakes Crossing) and Lakeside are still open. GLC is a Disney Outlet Store though so don't expect new merchandise there. They receive merchandise that the other stores can't get rid of.

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
I was at my new Disney Outlet today. A huge wall of HSM and Camp Rock. Awesome store!!!!

Anyway, I am a bit disappointed that they will have park merchandise in the stores. I like the fact that I need to go to WDW to get some items. WOD in Manhatten sells park merchandise and I like that because it is unique. Great store!!!! It may sound weird but I like that there are some things that I may have that others cannot get unless they go to WDW. Kind of sets things apart.

This makes sense to me but the way I see it is that at least now when I go to WDW Im not gonna have to spend $6,329,987,786,234 on merch that I fel pressured to buy because I know I wont see it anywhere else.

lilo091701

If I may resurrect this thread, for those in the St. Louis area, a Disney Store Outlet (which I assume is the new brand of the Disney Stores) is opening at the Mills mall. It looks like it is set to open by this holiday season. Considering there were three Disney stores new me in the St. Louis area that all closed, I would keep an eye out in any of those cities who had all of their Disney stores close. They may be coming back in a more consolidated manner!

Where exactly is this located?? My family is in St. Louis and was very sad that ALL the Disney Stores were closing!! They love to shop there for my daughter for the Holidays and her Birthday!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom