Disney statement on Walt Disney World entertainment

UNCgolf

OK, I'll play. Comparing WDW of '95 to January:

I think the MK is better today. I love the scavenger hunt in Adventureland and Sorcerers of the MK. Buzz Lightyear, PhilharMagic and the Mine Train have all opened since then, and are all must dos. New Fantasyland, in general was a great addition. The MK has definitely changed for the better.

DHS - of course it's better now. ...but even if you long for the old "Disney MGM Studios", then you have to admit that it had run its course. They didn't trash all of that investment because it was thriving.

EPCOT - I loved the original EPCOT. I wish I could bottle it up and go back and see it again; but Epcot has a problem because it can't be what it was designed to be anymore. It won't work now. We're all too jaded for it, and it's been proven over and over that trying to predict what's next is expensive at best and laughable at worst. They're working on a solution, and until Covid, they were unfolding the plan. All we can hope for is a full recovery of our economy so that The Mouse can reinstate the plans.

Then of course, there's ANIMAL KINGDOM. Which gets better every year, seemingly.

I wish the boards would stop trashing Disney and just enjoy!

See, I disagree. MK isn't better now. 20k was better than anything in New Fantasyland, although it would have needed some updating. Most of the MK also had better theming back then. And Buzz Lightyear as a must-do? That ride is terrible now, although it's not like it replaced anything important.

Not sure how you get a "of course" about DHS now either. Toy Story Land is a joke and while MMRR is good, it's not as impressive as Great Movie Ride. Galaxy's Edge is good, but somewhat disappointing. MGM was a very different park than current DHS, but it really wasn't worse. It had better theming back then too beyond Galaxy's Edge itself.

That EPCOT take is silly. There's absolutely no reason to think original EPCOT wouldn't still work, and Disney's "solution" for EPCOT is apparently to turn it into a Magic Kingdom/DHS hybrid. Their plans to update it are mostly horrible and the best thing about Covid is that it's potentially torpedoed some of those horrendous plans.

In general, smaller things like the stores were also superior back then to now because they had unique items and theming that has been mostly washed away. Now the majority of the stores at Disney all sell the exact same items with a few exceptions.

Animal Kingdom is great, though -- it's Disney's best park right now.

I'm not trashing Disney; I'm being critical of parts of it. I still like it. But saying you should just enjoy whatever they do is all-out brand loyalty and that kind of thinking leads to some of the decline we've seen, because if you're going to go no matter what, they don't have any incentive to maintain high standards.

Last edited:

Jrb1979

I was just watching a YouTube video from the Carpetbagger visiting Dollywood for their Christmas setup. IMO it blows away anything Disney is doing this year. If so could cross into the US I would definitely be heading there to see it.

TrainsOfDisney

A little bit of good news.... voices announced for festival of arts.

Epcot has managed to hang on to a piano player, Mariachi band, jammitors and voices.

It’s a shame the other parks couldn’t keep more of their entertainers, let citizens and the orchestra alternate in Hollywood theater, and let Jim, Mark, and Yeehaw Bob perform at Diamond Horseshoe or up on the balcony of the train station.

KYDVC

it looks like they are also running Christmas in the Smokies but with limited capacity. Do not miss this show, it is amazing.

Also, stay safe TN has more active cases then ever currently, it’s why I’m not going.
I appreciate the kind words and I’ll make sure to see the show.

Lilofan

Epcot has managed to hang on to a piano player, Mariachi band, jammitors and voices.

It’s a shame the other parks couldn’t keep more of their entertainers, let citizens and the orchestra alternate in Hollywood theater, and let Jim, Mark, and Yeehaw Bob perform at Diamond Horseshoe or up on the balcony of the train station.
I hope Chapek this Thursday on the Disney Q4 Wall Street public earnings call gives the world what's in store for theme parks moving forward.

Lorne82

What is a darn shame is this is almost all that is left at WDW.

Disney Analyst

let’s create a list, I’m not including the cavalcades:

MK:

The Dapper Dans
Main Street Philharmonic

AK:

Drummers

DHS:
??

Epcot:
Voices of Liberty
Jammitors
Piano Player
Mariachi Band

Dutch Inn '76

I will agree with the MK and Animal Kingdom. I personally don't think DHS is better as I am not into Star Wars at all. As far as Epcot goes my take has always been putting IP into World Showcase is a mistake. They should have put money into making new original attractions for each country. Instead it's now less a theme park and more of a food festival year round.
I understand and agree with you on the WS. I wish they'd add a new country already. Brazil? Greece? India? Israel? SOMETHING!!

Dutch Inn '76

Not what I asked. Irrelevant of results, do you really want nobody to hold Disney to any level of their former standards and just consume whatever is given blissfully?
Of course Disney needs a critic, like anyone, but I don't think that their standards have changed. It has gotten more expensive, certainly, but standards are as good as they've ever been. I don't think the place has "slipped" as some of you do.

Dutch Inn '76

You think rants against the rants make any difference to what isn't happening in Burbank?
Aren't you so clever...

I'm complaining directly to the miserable people where they share their misery. If you want to change things on the top floor at Burbank, then you need to complain to them - not here. ...at least not so much.

The_Jobu

Of course Disney needs a critic, like anyone, but I don't think that their standards have changed. It has gotten more expensive, certainly, but standards are as good as they've ever been. I don't think the place has "slipped" as some of you do.

The degree of "slippage" is a matter of debate of course, but as you agree, Disney needs critics, and thus, we are here. It's in no one's best interest, not even Disney's, if we all just shut up and enjoy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom