Disney statement on Walt Disney World entertainment

Magic Feather

Many people, and especially @drew81 , have been nudging towards the reality of many shows not returning for a long time if ever.
Out of the dinner shows, the only one I expect to survive is Hoop Dee Doo (and evening it’s future looks a little shaky).
I expect AK to have the highest return rate for these shows (Lion King is almost definite, and Nemo isn’t too far behind).
The only DHS show that isn’t already back that I could see returning is Indy.
Any streetmosphere I’d be shocked to see return, which is a giant tragedy.

NelleBelle

I agree with your overall opinion. When you consider why large businesses fail, it's never one issue but the perfect storm of many of them. When it comes to competition, I think you have have to consider not only obvious competitors like UO or SEAS, but if we will see a major shift in the future of the way people choose to spend their vacation days.

Disney isn't just competing against other theme parks, they are competing against other travel and leisure opportunities. As we saw this summer, when Disney wasn't available / too restrictive / too expensive, people chose overwhelmingly to visit other destinations and have different kinds of vacations. That may simply be a pandemic trend that will correct back, but it may also have touched off a more permanent and major shift in perception of the kinds of experiences people seek and what value they attach to them.
Excellent points about other travel options. RVs were in scarce supply this year—so glad we bought our Airstream last year when they had deals on them. This year, they were begging us to sell and “upgrade” to the 2021 models (which they didn’t have yet).

But one thought on why Disney didn’t have they attendance this summer—no one wanted to get on a plane and fly to FL which was COVID-central, despite Disney being in a “bubble”. The entire travel industry has taken a hit with the exception of road trips in RVs. It was nigh impossible to get some campground reservations this summer—worse than usual.

Dutch Inn '76

I check in on this thread every now and then to see what you loons are predicting now. You did not disappoint! USO is fun and all, but after one day I've done it all and am ready to get back to WDW. The only way it might be "better" than WDW is if thrill rides are your thing - and even then it can't measure up to King's Island and the like.

Live entertainment at WDW is not going away. People are not going to sit in a theatre like Hoop-De-Doo, and pay for an expensive dinner only to watch a movie. Disney knows that. They know that they have to provide VALUE for our money. They have always done that, and I'm sure that they always will.

The shutdowns/reaction to the pandemic has been crushing to Disney. They lost FIVE BILLION DOLLARS last quarter alone. You think they are going to continue a show with a quarter-house crowd? They can't afford it! They have no choice but to cut waaaay back. Let's give them a chance!

When life returns to normal, THEN we can complain if things are lackluster at WDW. But it's going to take time! Time to bring the crowds back; time to assess which shows to reopen and which to replace; time to train the people who do the work.

Sheesh...

drew81

Take one look at what’s happened at Maingate. Take one look at how many Entertainment CMs were let go. They could barely staff things as is before this. Now when things return there will be CMs to fill those roles? How many part time CMs did character dining? Tons! They’re gone.
Don’t get me going on Equity. This has been Chapek’s dream.

MaryJaneP

Praying everyone here, that knows what entertainment is, is actually able to survive that long and continues to visit this website when this nightmare is over so we CAN complain when things remain lackluster at WDW. TDC seems to be betting against those possibilities.

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
Praying everyone here, that knows what entertainment is, is actually able to survive that long and continues to visit this website when this nightmare is over so we CAN complain when things remain lackluster at WDW. TDC seems to be betting against those possibilities.
If I were Disney, I wouldn't bet against us sticking around and coming here to complain. We have a long and hallowed tradition of it. Heck, there was a guy on another thread who said he hadn't set foot in WDW for 6 years and had no intention of ever doing so again - and here he was, complaining!

tanc

Tokyo Disneyland has implemented fire works and some character greets since September apparently. Not to mention they are doing serious construction on 2 of the new expansions and a hotel. The expansions include some incredible rides. It honestly brings a bit of a negative view of WDW for me.

If OLC can figure it out, I hope Disney can. It just is aggravating to spend more than a ticket to TDL, but get less.

Jrb1979

Tokyo Disneyland has implemented fire works and some character greets since September apparently. Not to mention they are doing serious construction on 2 of the new expansions and a hotel. The expansions include some incredible rides. It honestly brings a bit of a negative view of WDW for me.

If OLC can figure it out, I hope Disney can. It just is aggravating to spend more than a ticket to TDL, but get less.
Here's the thing that many forget. As a poster on another site said

"when you look at a place like China, whose people have not had that familiarity with American pop cultural and media for a slew of geopolitical reasons, there's no preconceived understanding of the Disney brand as a premium brand and what is represents. There's nothing inherent in the word "Disney" that distinguishes a Disney Park from any other amusement park/leisure activity. To demonstrate "Disney show," they still have to prove it there. TWDC knows that, here"

MurphyJoe

I agree with your overall opinion. When you consider why large businesses fail, it's never one issue but the perfect storm of many of them. When it comes to competition, I think you have have to consider not only obvious competitors like UO or SEAS, but if we will see a major shift in the future of the way people choose to spend their vacation days.

Disney isn't just competing against other theme parks, they are competing against other travel and leisure opportunities. As we saw this summer, when Disney wasn't available / too restrictive / too expensive, people chose overwhelmingly to visit other destinations and have different kinds of vacations. That may simply be a pandemic trend that will correct back, but it may also have touched off a more permanent and major shift in perception of the kinds of experiences people seek and what value they attach to them.

I've been thinking of this recently after getting a standalone VR headset. While the experiences aren't equivalent, someone can get started for less than the cost of a 3 day base ticket to WDW and have fantastic experiences on demand at home. With Disney cutting back the comprehensive entertainment suite they previously offered, will affordable and decent VR affect visitation if the primary thing on offer at Disney is short attractions (compared to most VR experiences), relatively expensive for the quality food and beverage, and expensive hotels (plus a host of other leisure options that most ignore)? I can imagine a shift towards more authentic / real destinations or reduction in Disney trip lengths if escapism can happen in the living room and Disney doesn't offer that extra pizazz which a screen can't fully capture.

TrainsOfDisney

I've been thinking of this recently after getting a standalone VR headset. While the experiences aren't equivalent, someone can get started for less than the cost of a 3 day base ticket to WDW and have fantastic experiences on demand at home. With Disney cutting back the comprehensive entertainment suite they previously offered, will affordable and decent VR affect visitation if the primary thing on offer at Disney is short attractions (compared to most VR experiences), relatively expensive for the quality food and beverage, and expensive hotels (plus a host of other leisure options that most ignore)? I can imagine a shift towards more authentic / real destinations or reduction in Disney trip lengths if escapism can happen in the living room and Disney doesn't offer that extra pizazz which a screen can't fully capture.
I think virtual entertainment will increase people’s desire for live entertainment. I think that’s already been the case pre-covid. Broadway shows and concerts have been doing very well. Virtual will never be the same as physical.

That’s why I think Disney is treading dangerous business ground by taking away quality live entertainment and focusing so much on projections and screens. This includes attractions like great movie ride which combined live performance, AA’s and physical effects like fire, cryo, fog, etc.

DisneyTransport

I agree, but have you done the star wars VR experience at Disney springs? If thats the future, I am all on board!!! I would definitely pay top dollar to have similar experiences! (Though, not everyone can enjoy them and with covid...) still, Disney has the capability for innovation in VR and experiences of the future.

The_Jobu

I know it's been said a thousand times, but I think if the entertainment and CMs dont come back, the parks might actually start losing attendance.

Granted they probably still make a hefty profit with half the normal amount of guests, but once normal people start visiting and main street is silent, the shows are pre-recorded, booths are understaffed, meet and greets are captured by automated boxes, I think they'll lose interest in returning.

Jrb1979

I know it's been said a thousand times, but I think if the entertainment and CMs dont come back, the parks might actually start losing attendance.

Granted they probably still make a hefty profit with half the normal amount of guests, but once normal people start visiting and main street is silent, the shows are pre-recorded, booths are understaffed, meet and greets are captured by automated boxes, I think they'll lose interest in returning.
Some entertainment will be back. I honestly think a lot of the small things like Citizens of Hollywood will not return.

HarperRose

I check in on this thread every now and then to see what you loons are predicting now. You did not disappoint! USO is fun and all, but after one day I've done it all and am ready to get back to WDW. The only way it might be "better" than WDW is if thrill rides are your thing - and even then it can't measure up to King's Island and the like.

Live entertainment at WDW is not going away. People are not going to sit in a theatre like Hoop-De-Doo, and pay for an expensive dinner only to watch a movie. Disney knows that. They know that they have to provide VALUE for our money. They have always done that, and I'm sure that they always will.

The shutdowns/reaction to the pandemic has been crushing to Disney. They lost FIVE BILLION DOLLARS last quarter alone. You think they are going to continue a show with a quarter-house crowd? They can't afford it! They have no choice but to cut waaaay back. Let's give them a chance!

When life returns to normal, THEN we can complain if things are lackluster at WDW. But it's going to take time! Time to bring the crowds back; time to assess which shows to reopen and which to replace; time to train the people who do the work.

Sheesh...
I suggest you put a pin in this post. You may need to reference it in a couple years to remember how wrong you were.

Jrb1979

If there’s not live entertainment at WDW in a couple of years, it’ll be because if the virus - and then we’ll have bigger problems in this country than theme parks being diminished.
There will be live entertainment, most likely some stage shows coming back. Odds are streetmosphere is done. The Disney you knew from the Dutch Inn days are gone. There is no reason they can't have live entertainment. Parks like Cedar Point, Silver Dollar City and Dollywood are doing it and in some cases has more entertainment then Disney.

Dutch Inn '76

There will be live entertainment, most likely some stage shows coming back. Odds are streetmosphere is done. The Disney you knew from the Dutch Inn days are gone. There is no reason they can't have live entertainment. Parks like Cedar Point, Silver Dollar City and Dollywood are doing it and in some cases has more entertainment then Disney.
Oh come on. I was at Silver Dollar City recently. There is no comparison in SDC to WDW. Really. It’s like apples and steering wheels.

Let’s see how this all shakes out before we say the sky is falling. That, and encourage our government, etc, to allow things to fully open.

...and the WDW of 9 months ago was miles better than it was in the ‘70s.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom