Disney statement on Walt Disney World entertainment

MurphyJoe

Never been to SDC, but I've been looking for new theme parks lately. Is it like Dollywood?

It's the sister park to Dollywood (used to be called Silver Dollar City, Tennessee). While I haven't been to Dollywood, going off of what I've seen online, expect a similar feel with unique attractions and shows to the park. Plus there's Marvel Cave which is include with admission.

Dutch Inn '76

Never been to SDC, but I've been looking for new theme parks lately. Is it like Dollywood?

I've not been to Dollywood since I was a very small child. SDC is very heavy on art and crafts demonstrations, glass blowers, etc. There are some rides there, but they are more of a side show to the demonstrations, IMHO. It's a neat place, especially at Christmastime... but when it's crowded it's really hard to get around in, because the park is not laid out for a crush of people. ...and parking is a nightmare. You have to park offsite (down the road literally in a church parking lot) and be bussed in.

The_Jobu

It's the sister park to Dollywood (used to be called Silver Dollar City, Tennessee). While I haven't been to Dollywood, going off of what I've seen online, expect a similar feel with unique attractions and shows to the park. Plus there's Marvel Cave which is include with admission.

I've not been to Dollywood since I was a very small child. SDC is very heavy on art and crafts demonstrations, glass blowers, etc. There are some rides there, but they are more of a side show to the demonstrations, IMHO. It's a neat place, especially at Christmastime... but when it's crowded it's really hard to get around in, because the park is not laid out for a crush of people. ...and parking is a nightmare. You have to park offsite (down the road literally in a church parking lot) and be bussed in.

Hmmm, sounds pretty good. Worth looking into.

TrainsOfDisney

Yes very similar to Dollywood. I’ve been to Dollywood more but both offer a similar experience. They are both operated by the Herschend family.

Sdc vs. Dollywood is a bit like Disneyland vs. WDW... Dollywood feels a bit more corporate and fake, SDC is more small and crowded, but feels more genuine with more history.

Touchdown

Oh come on. I was at Silver Dollar City recently. There is no comparison in SDC to WDW. Really. It’s like apples and steering wheels.
I strongly disagree. They are very similar, and there are some areas where SDC exceeds Disney. They have the best Christmas Festival of any theme park, period. Dollywood comes really, really close but SDC’s Sing-a-long Train experience and better light display just barely beat Dollywood’s superior shows (Christmas in the Smokies is my second favorite theme park production anywhere year round, surpassed only by Epcot’s Candlelight Processional.). It’s killing me I’m not experiencing these festivals this year far more then missing a December trip to Florida.

Some of you need to get out of the Disney bubble more. If thrill rides aren’t your thing, Sea World, Busch Gardens (Williamsburg more then Tampa but still both,) Silver Dollar City, Dollywood and Knott's Berry Farm should still be on your must visit list.

UNCgolf

...and the WDW of 9 months ago was miles better than it was in the ‘70s.

While I don't doubt that's true (especially considering Magic Kingdom was the only park in existence then), WDW of 9 months ago was also miles worse than the WDW of, say, 1995 -- and that's despite the addition of Animal Kingdom, which is a great park. There's no comparison between EPCOT then and now, and the Magic Kingdom was better at that point as well. Hollywood Studios may be better now, but even that's arguable because there was some really cool stuff in DHS back then and the theme was much better.

NelleBelle

I'll take MK, DHS/MGM and Epcot from the mid-late 90's and AK from today and working H2O parks from the early 2000s. I'll take DLR from today (well, from last year 😛)! I agree that there was a lot more to the WDW parks in the mid-late 90s. And I LOVED Pleasure Island--it was so unique and so much better than all these shops you can find a regular mall.

TrainsOfDisney

I'll take MK, DHS/MGM and Epcot from the mid-late 90's and AK from today and working H2O parks from the early 2000s. I'll take DLR from today (well, from last year 😛)! I agree that there was a lot more to the WDW parks in the mid-late 90s. And I LOVED Pleasure Island--it was so unique and so much better than all these shops you can find a regular mall.
Yeah I think I’d take WDW with Pleasure Island, Illuminations, wishes, and the former DHS with the tram tour anyday.

The only thing I would truly miss is Avatar.

UNCgolf

Yeah I think I’d take WDW with Pleasure Island, Illuminations, wishes, and the former DHS with the tram tour anyday.

I'd miss Kiliminjaro Safaris the most, but really all of Animal Kingdom.

Would still trade it for Horizons, Journey into Imagination, World of Motion, better Spaceship Earth, the original amazing Seas pavilion, Wonders of Life, etc.

Last edited:

Lilofan

The DHS tram tour was special. When Lights Motor Action stunt show was operating, it was neat to see sometimes the motorcycle riders practicing their moves and stunts backstage. When the stuntman was lit on fire that was incredible. Residential Street and the building where the cast make the costumes was neat to see during the tram tour.

Last edited:

Dutch Inn '76

While I don't doubt that's true (especially considering Magic Kingdom was the only park in existence then), WDW of 9 months ago was also miles worse than the WDW of, say, 1995 -- and that's despite the addition of Animal Kingdom, which is a great park. There's no comparison between EPCOT then and now, and the Magic Kingdom was better at that point as well. Hollywood Studios may be better now, but even that's arguable because there was some really cool stuff in DHS back then and the theme was much better.
OK, I'll play. Comparing WDW of '95 to January:

I think the MK is better today. I love the scavenger hunt in Adventureland and Sorcerers of the MK. Buzz Lightyear, PhilharMagic and the Mine Train have all opened since then, and are all must dos. New Fantasyland, in general was a great addition. The MK has definitely changed for the better.

DHS - of course it's better now. ...but even if you long for the old "Disney MGM Studios", then you have to admit that it had run its course. They didn't trash all of that investment because it was thriving.

EPCOT - I loved the original EPCOT. I wish I could bottle it up and go back and see it again; but Epcot has a problem because it can't be what it was designed to be anymore. It won't work now. We're all too jaded for it, and it's been proven over and over that trying to predict what's next is expensive at best and laughable at worst. They're working on a solution, and until Covid, they were unfolding the plan. All we can hope for is a full recovery of our economy so that The Mouse can reinstate the plans.

Then of course, there's ANIMAL KINGDOM. Which gets better every year, seemingly.

I wish the boards would stop trashing Disney and just enjoy!

Last edited:

Jrb1979

OK, I'll play. Comparing WDW of '95 to January:

I think the MK is better today. I love the scavenger hunt in Adventureland and Sorcerers of the MK. Buzz Lightyear, PhilharMagic and the Mine Train have all opened since then, and are all must dos. New Fantasyland, in general was a great addition. The MK has definitely changed for the better.

DHS - of course it's better now. ...but even if you long for the old "Disney MGM Studios", then you have to admit that it had run its course. They didn't trash all of that investment because it was thriving.

EPCOT - I loved the original EPCOT. I wish I could bottle it up and go back and see it again; but Epcot has a problem because it can't be what it was designed to be anymore. It won't work now. We're all too jaded for it, and it's been proven over and over that trying to predict what's next is expensive at best and laughable at worst. They're working on a solution, and until Covid, they were unfolding the plan. All we can hope for is a full recovery of our economy so that The Mouse can reinstate the plans.

Then of course, there's ANIMAL KINGDOM. Which gets better every year, seemingly.

I wish the boards would stop trashing Disney and just enjoy!
I will agree with the MK and Animal Kingdom. I personally don't think DHS is better as I am not into Star Wars at all. As far as Epcot goes my take has always been putting IP into World Showcase is a mistake. They should have put money into making new original attractions for each country. Instead it's now less a theme park and more of a food festival year round.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom