Disney Springs testing new no-stop security scanner for new entry screening when the parks reopen

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Imagine being on the Disney media list and recording a security process that every single person there will tell you not to record if you weren't standing out of sight to be the only blog with photos
Yes I don't thing its a good thing to be photographing the security checkpoints, which is why we only reported the change and did not publish photos of the process. Anyway, I think we can all imagine what a scanner in the Lime garage looks like based on the manufacturer's demo video.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm not seeing anything in the article saying the scanner isn't working with social distancing. The red light on the unit should be indicating that side isn't operational. The side people are passing through is blue, which is indicating it's working.

Normally, I would agree that they should have followed the rules and not recorded it.

OTOH, Disney should have followed their own rules, which is the rules of the state, too, to keep up social distancing. Recording their misbehavior is important to holding them accountable.

celluloid

If it cuts down on entrance security checks, I’m good. Park entrance and Splash Mountain shouldn’t have the same wait time (I know. ..being dramatic).

And the experience itself too will be improved. Even if it is a shuffle in, it is better than being randomly selected from your party/family to go and walk through a detector. Even when people are kind, the experience can be improved and I think this could help.

Unbanshee

Yes I don't thing its a good thing to be photographing the security checkpoints, which is why we only reported the change and did not publish photos of the process. Anyway, I think we can all imagine what a scanner in the Lime garage looks like based on the manufacturer's demo video.

That's a good call. I saw other blogs say that photos weren't allowed, which makes a ton of sense and I'm glad to see that you and that blog are honorable sources to follow!

TrainsOfDisney

Photos aren’t allowed? Is that posted somewhere? Not that I’ve ever wanted to, just curious.

Also... I’m not sure if it’s the same technology or not but the bright line train stations in Florida have some sort of sensors like this that you just walk through. I don’t know what all they detect, but when they opened up a few years ago that was something they bragged about.

Last edited:

Den Carter

I'm no expert but I've run teams that have commissioned a lot of hardware and tech over the years and I'm quite sure rolling this kind of new equipment will take some time. There's whatever the lead time on orders are, installation, training, testing and implementation to get through. In other words, no chance these are going to be at the parks before they reopen in a few weeks time.

(Unless of course they were actually ordered a long time ago and the timing is purely coincidental. If that's the case it may be possible to fasttrack implementation, I guess)

cmwade77

Yes.

In general. If you or your child are in public such that anyone can see, then any one can record that. There is no privacy when you act in public. Consequently, if you're on someone's private property (e.g., Disney's), then they can take anyone's picture. You also agreed to that in the small print on your ticket.

There may be some restriction for what can be done with the picture of a minor when 'publishing' it. The press has unrestricted freedom (but they may have their own policies so as not to upset people).

Many people think that there's a legal prohibition because so many school districts have policies of not publishing pictures of students with their names attached. Some children are being hidden from an abusive relative or someone who lost custody and is willing to kidnap their child in order to have custody.

Actually, California does have some laws regarding this, which why Disney didn't use to take pictures of minors (not sure if they do now or not).

cmwade77

I'm no expert but I've run teams that have commissioned a lot of hardware and tech over the years and I'm quite sure rolling this kind of new equipment will take some time. There's whatever the lead time on orders are, installation, training, testing and implementation to get through. In other words, no chance these are going to be at the parks before they reopen in a few weeks time.

(Unless of course they were actually ordered a long time ago and the timing is purely coincidental. If that's the case it may be possible to fasttrack implementation, I guess)
You would be surprised how many places have been able to speed things like this up as result of this mess, presumably because the companies making them can hire more people as more are out of work.

DisneyDebRob

The security check at harbor blvd. hasn’t moved. Since I usually enter from that side of the property it’s really nice. In the mornings I mobile order a Starbucks reserve while standing in line at security, zip over for good quality coffee and then reverse to the park entrance. I’d have to go through security twice the old way.
Good quality coffee? I thought you said you reserve one at Starbucks? 🤣😂

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Photos aren’t allowed? Is that posted somewhere? Not that I’ve ever wanted to, just curious.

Also... I’m not sure if it’s the same technology or not but the bright line train stations in Florida have some sort of sensors like this that you just walk through. I don’t know what all they detect, but when they opened up a few years ago that was something they bragged about.
It isn't posted, but photography in the security areas is a problem. If you are seen taking pictures around any of the bag check areas, expect to be asked to delete the photos.

DisneyDebRob

Is there any word on amount of employees that could possibly lose their job because of this? I’m not trying to nitpick, really not, and I’m sure 99.9% of the people entering WDW will love this if all goes well. I just hate seeing people lose their jobs. I know I’m in the minority here but I’m the guy who doesn’t use self check out at grocery stores also. If all employees are safe then put them in!

TrainsOfDisney

Good quality coffee? I thought you said you reserve one at Starbucks? 🤣😂

“Starbucks Reserve” is very good quality coffee. It’s brewed to order at select stores only. Downtown Disney California & Disney Springs are 2 of those select stores :)

It isn't posted, but photography in the security areas is a problem. If you are seen taking pictures around any of the bag check areas, expect to be asked to delete the photos.

Interesting. Not something I plan on doing but seems surprising seeing as it’s legal to film and photograph TSA. And yes I’m aware Disney is private property. :)

cmwade77

Is there any word on amount of employees that could possibly lose their job because of this? I’m not trying to nitpick, really not, and I’m sure 99.9% of the people entering WDW will love this if all goes well. I just hate seeing people lose their jobs. I know I’m in the minority here but I’m the guy who doesn’t use self check out at grocery stores also. If all employees are safe then put them in!
Well, self check outs increase business and the businesses find they have to higher more people to stock shelves than cashiers they loose, so they actually increase jobs, not decrease them. I would think this may have a similar effect in the long run, just change what jobs they are doing.

disneygeek90

I’m sure they can be of use in other areas, especially in this mask phase.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom