Disney Springs testing new no-stop security scanner for new entry screening when the parks reopen

TrainsOfDisney

Is there any word on amount of employees that could possibly lose their job because of this? I’m not trying to nitpick, really not, and I’m sure 99.9% of the people entering WDW will love this if all goes well. I just hate seeing people lose their jobs. I know I’m in the minority here but I’m the guy who doesn’t use self check out at grocery stores also. If all employees are safe then put them in!

I guess we should still have traffic cops at every major intersection?

I mean many people will lose their jobs at Disney parks this year, that’s pretty much a given.

celluloid

Is there any word on amount of employees that could possibly lose their job because of this? I’m not trying to nitpick, really not, and I’m sure 99.9% of the people entering WDW will love this if all goes well. I just hate seeing people lose their jobs. I know I’m in the minority here but I’m the guy who doesn’t use self check out at grocery stores also. If all employees are safe then put them in!
That is thoughtful and I understand that you feel concerned:
Think how many people will lose their jobs if the company that made this system is not purchased? Or how many jobs are created if it needs techs to address and troubleshoot? Many guards will still standby and be ready for if more than one person sets them off. The world has a way of balancing jobs out.

rowrbazzle

The security check at harbor blvd. hasn’t moved. Since I usually enter from that side of the property it’s really nice. In the mornings I mobile order a Starbucks reserve while standing in line at security, zip over for good quality coffee and then reverse to the park entrance. I’d have to go through security twice the old way.

I walked in from past the Paradise Pier Hotel and the Grand Californian. Looking at a map, I guess that's Disneyland Drive. I ate at a little patio restaurant and security was just past there; so that was as far as I went.

DisneyDebRob

Well, self check outs increase business and the businesses find they have to higher more people to stock shelves than cashiers they loose, so they actually increase jobs, not decrease them. I would think this may have a similar effect in the long run, just change what jobs they are doing.
May be the case is some spots. A local big name grocer around here was actually being picketed years ago because of the jobs being lost when they introduced about 10-12 self check outs and left about 3 registers with regular employees instead of the usual 8-10. That’s why I asked.

G00fyDad

I LOVE this idea. Not because I hated the bag checks. I didn't care about that. The security guards NEVER did anything more than open the bag, glance inside, and hand it back to me. Done and done. My problem was standing in the line. Yes, I know "But you're going to Disney. Lines are everywhere." Not necessarily for us. We used the crap out of the FP+ and avoided lines at all costs. But honestly, the in-park lines are tolerable to standing OUTSIDE the parks in a line. It just feels different and more annoying to me. Walking through this without stopping would be amazing.

MrPromey

I LOVE this idea. Not because I hated the bag checks. I didn't care about that. The security guards NEVER did anything more than open the bag, glance inside, and hand it back to me. Done and done. My problem was standing in the line. Yes, I know "But you're going to Disney. Lines are everywhere." Not necessarily for us. We used the crap out of the FP+ and avoided lines at all costs. But honestly, the in-park lines are tolerable to standing OUTSIDE the parks in a line. It just feels different and more annoying to me. Walking through this without stopping would be amazing.

The "lines are everywhere" argument have never made sense. Because you have to wait in line to park, for a ride, for a show, to get into a park, to get food, to check out at a store, sometimes to use the restroom - you should just be okay with another one in front of the entrance to wait through before getting to wait at the one at the entrance?

The fact that there are lines everywhere and for nearly everything which sucks a huge part of the day away is why we should expect them to find ways of reducing the number and size of these lines - not something we use as an excuse for more lines.

Sorry - this one really bugs me because while there have always been lines at Disney (esp for popular attractions), it's within the last ten years or so that things have steadily gotten to the point they are and a lot of people seem to have short memories when it comes to this.

Anyway, very excited about the idea of this coming to the parks. It's nice to see them looking into efficencies that will benifit the guests, even if the it was something they were kind of forced into it for unrelated reasons.

Last edited:

beachlover4444

I am thrilled about this and especially for Disneyland. Their bag check was the biggest fail I have ever seen. And they didnt have a no bag line so you were stuck. It is definitely a game changer and even if this thing catches 95% of weapons it is gonna be as good as the people poking in diaper bags with sticks. I did feel bad about job losses but that's the way of the world now. run mean and lean.

Elfinko

God, I hope this works. As awful as this situation has been, some of the amazing innovations and tech coming as a result, are very welcome.

TrainsOfDisney

I am thrilled about this and especially for Disneyland. Their bag check was the biggest fail I have ever seen.

Compared to WDW their security is a well oiled machine. It’s a consistent experience that doesn’t change on the whim of whoever is working at the moment. I’d rather wait in a longer line and have a pleasant and consistent experience than be barked at the way I have been by SOME (certainly not all) WDW Security.

Gillyanne

I wonder if the new security devices are safe for people with cardiac devices? I need to do a lil research.

Please share if you find anything; I didn't think of this at first, but would be interested to know as my Father has a pacemaker. Not sure he'd ever come to Disney again, but would be good to know before hand, or if we find them in any other locations he would go to

BellaSweet8384

I always think of it..I've had a cardiac device since age 17. Some places are great about it, others not so much. Disney was always very easy..bags get hand-checked and then my husband would walk inside(closest to the security with wands) and they'd always randomly grab him and not me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom