Disney Springs testing new no-stop security scanner for new entry screening when the parks reopen

TrainsOfDisney

I once joked that the easiest way to bring a gun in, would be inside a popcorn bucket.

Indeed I was once directed away from the bag line to a no bag line because my to-go box of food (standard size) didn’t need to be inspected. And yet a a bag smaller than said box does?

I believe APers have that happen the first time they use their AP, and if not, can be added.

In Disneyland yes.

They did this on our last trip when my son couldn't get his finger scan to work. They pulled us aside, grabbed an iPad, and thumbed through pictures from our entries the past few days to be sure it was the same person.

Yeah that’s not creepy at all is it? Actually is it legal to take and store photos of minors without parents permission? For adults I’m sure it is but surprised they do that for minors.

We live in California and were shocked when Disney Springs doesn't have security checks considering Downton Disney here had implemented them quite a while before that trip, so I would imagine they will become a permanent fixture.

I visit both coasts regularly and I always thought they changed the security bubble to make the retail and restaurants happy. I know for me personally, I didn’t want to leave and come back through security again just to get Jamba Juice or a Starbucks reserve coffee.

Giss Neric

Went to a disney outlet store and got yelled at for my kids not wearing masks and at least they offered me masks to get in, but at one point my girlfriend lowered her mask for a second and someone quickly jumped at her to slide it back up... damn imagine the parks and with florida humidity, zero chills given. Granted scored some sweet disney park merch from the outlets!!!
I'm all for enforcing rules but not the extent of humiliation. No need to yell. Now if ya'll are stubborn and stuff then that's the time to be aggressive.

I'm not talking about specifically you guys but some people need constant reminders while some they get it after one reminder. Disney Outlet is kinds cramped and tight. I don't know if they are limiting people inside or not.

easyrowrdw

WDW and DLR are two different beasts though. DLR is basically one (relatively) small complex so they just put in bag check at the parking deck, by the bus drop off, and going to the hotels. It's the most economical way to do it. Bag check really isn't necessary just for a "mall", but Downtown Disney gets it by default just because of its location.

I was at Downtown Disney a little over 3 years ago. They didn't have security checks until you got close to the gates of the parks. I guess they've changed it since then. It seems unnecessary to me; same for Springs.

Yeah that’s not creepy at all is it? Actually is it legal to take and store photos of minors without parents permission? For adults I’m sure it is but surprised they do that for minors.

It was an overhead shot, not directly on his face, but pointed down at the scanners. It was a little creepy, though. I wasn't totally comfortable with it, but not uncomfortable enough to raise a stink. I dunno.

TrainsOfDisney

I was at Downtown Disney a little over 3 years ago. They didn't have security checks until you got close to the gates of the parks. I guess they've changed it since then. It seems unnecessary to me; same for Springs.

The security check at harbor blvd. hasn’t moved. Since I usually enter from that side of the property it’s really nice. In the mornings I mobile order a Starbucks reserve while standing in line at security, zip over for good quality coffee and then reverse to the park entrance. I’d have to go through security twice the old way.

Ldno

I'm all for enforcing rules but not the extent of humiliation. No need to yell. Now if ya'll are stubborn and stuff then that's the time to be aggressive.

I'm not talking about specifically you guys but some people need constant reminders while some they get it after one reminder. Disney Outlet is kinds cramped and tight. I don't know if they are limiting people inside or not.

They actually were, only 22 guests including children were allowed in, there was a line to get in also, just imagine if they enforce this at World of Disney, i mean the crowd control at the disney outlet store was More strict than the rest of the outlets i went to today, including nike which had a 45min wait to get in the store, i mean if two people left and i had 5, they could let other two than the five, or i could had went in with me and kid if i wanted too But decided to wait... but the other stores didn’t keep count, they just had you wait until a group left, yelling was an exaggeration but he did raise his voice to get my attention, i didn’t care, i obliged either way

disneygeek90

They actually were, only 22 guests including children were allowed in, there was a line to get in also, just imagine if they enforce this at World of Disney, i mean the crowd control at the disney outlet store was More strict than the rest of the outlets i went to today, including nike which had a 45min wait to get in the store, i mean if two people left and i had 5, they could let other two than the five, or i could had went in with me and kid if i wanted too But decided to wait... but the other stores didn’t keep count, they just had you wait until a group left, yelling was an exaggeration but he did raise his voice to get my attention, i didn’t care, i obliged either way
World of Disney also has a capacity limit and requires a (short) line many times throughout the day. It can obviously handle far more people than those outlet stores, though.

Chomama

I will agree that certain businesses are enacting stricter protocols than others. I believe Disney really has to be this way because of the pressure on them not to mess this up and to be an industry leader. That said, I think it will go fairly well in the parks. We live out of state but we’re in florida for a few weeks break from our stir craziness at home (we have a vacation home
In a quiet part of florida and did not leave the house save groceries and this one experiment with DS). One afternoon I took 2 of my 4 kids on a two hour drive to Disney Springs to get our first break from quarantine since March. They haven’t even been to the grocery or a park so it was quite exciting for them. The procedures at Disney felt more
Well organized and followed than any target, Publix, restaurant etc that I have seen. It was clear messaging, kind CMs offering reminders and careful counting of people
In each store. They had CMs at entrances and exits with iPads to calculate home
Many in and out. Hand sanitizer at each shop. Plexiglass and contactless payment at counters. Because everyone was wearing a mask and six feet apart we felt really relaxed. There was not the usual grocery store anxiety of some guy riding my tail with his cart and coughing without a mask on. Because Disney is clearly laying out expectations and rules people accepted it and moved on to just enjoy. Everyone looked happy and it was “the best day in months” per the kids. The stormtroopers were out reminding people to cover their faces and making jokes. I told my husband afterward that I wish our governments just mandated masks. Not because it’s perfect science or not - but because if you remove the issue from the table, people can move on to other more pressing things. Also it was 95 and humid all afternoon. Kids said masks were not an issue and totally worth being out and about. I didn’t find it hard to breathe either so I hope that can encourage others that it won’t be that bad. I’m not sure we are ready for the parks but I will say that if/when we go to the parks I feel quite confident Disney will be on top
Of it. It’s the cleanest place I have been in months!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If this technology ends up getting used on a larger scale, I won’t be able to help but laugh a little. Disney has spent the last ~3 years revamping their security infrastructure to match their current system. This new infrastructure is way overbuilt for a more simplified and efficient process like this.

Well, when a few thousand people are outside the scanning bubble at DHS for RotR, you almost can't overbuild security!

Also, when one or more scanners aren't working, good to have back-up!

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Actually is it legal to take and store photos of minors without parents permission?

Yes.

In general. If you or your child are in public such that anyone can see, then any one can record that. There is no privacy when you act in public. Consequently, if you're on someone's private property (e.g., Disney's), then they can take anyone's picture. You also agreed to that in the small print on your ticket.

There may be some restriction for what can be done with the picture of a minor when 'publishing' it. The press has unrestricted freedom (but they may have their own policies so as not to upset people).

Many people think that there's a legal prohibition because so many school districts have policies of not publishing pictures of students with their names attached. Some children are being hidden from an abusive relative or someone who lost custody and is willing to kidnap their child in order to have custody.

Marc Davis Fan

Could this also eventually allow the security "bubble" to include resorts, as it does in Paris? And by extension, also the bus areas. If implemented well, that would be a lot safer and more convenient...

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Apparently the new detector doesn't work if you also keep up protocols for social distancing...

1592117207855.gif

celluloid

I tested one of these at a place I worked at years ago. I never thought Six Flags would be the first parks to get them, but I always wanted them from a guest experience perspective over the way things are currently done. I think these can be great.

nickys

Premium Member
I tested one of these at a place I worked at years ago. I never thought Six Flags would be the first parks to get them, but I always wanted them from a guest experience perspective over the way things are currently done. I think these can be great.
Must have been different technology, these use algorithms to identify threats which is different to a standard metal detector. In the interview the co-founder says they started testing them in 2017.

celluloid

Must have been different technology, these use algorithms to identify threats which is different to a standard metal detector. In the interview the co-founder says they started testing them in 2017.

No, same technology. I said years ago. It is 2020. This was 2018 as a prototype backtage.

robhedin

I'm not seeing anything in the article saying the scanner isn't working with social distancing. The red light on the unit should be indicating that side isn't operational. The side people are passing through is blue, which is indicating it's working.
(it was a joke - everyone in the video is < 6ft apart, so the joke is they must be that way because it doesn't work if they're social distanced)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom