Disney Springs tenant watch

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I really hope some of those rumors are true. Clicking around the website of The Edison, it looks like quite a fun concept, and one that seems to fit well. Morimoto would be fantastic.
IF (big, big word) these come to DS, and IF (there it is again!) this is indicative to the kinds of places DS is looking at presenting, this is going to be a huge improvement.

jt04

I really hope some of those rumors are true. Clicking around the website of The Edison, it looks like quite a fun concept, and one that seems to fit well. Morimoto would be fantastic.
IF (big, big word) these come to DS, and IF (there it is again!) this is indicative to the kinds of places DS is looking at presenting, this is going to be a huge improvement.

Yep. Some might even call it newer and bolder. It is a plussed HW made possible by the parking facilities. Very impressed.

EricJ

Haven't heard anything, but with a "boat" and an "airplane" restaurant announced, and a "train" one rumored, I suspect they'll all be owned by Landrys (who are building the Boathouse). If there is a land/air/sea theme, I'd think one group would handle it.

Aside from the fact that they own most every OTHER non-WestSide restaurant in DD.

Mouse Detective

Some rumors have popped up through a well-known local food blogger/critic, Scott Joseph about big name dining establishments coming to Disney Springs. These include Morimoto, STK, and the Edison. He states that STK may be close to signing contract.

Is his information dated? He says that only STK is close to having dry ink on a contract yet The Boat House is actually under construction. Don't think Disney would be building it without a signed contract. Ditto for that Hangar place.

71jason

Original Poster
Is his information dated? He says that only STK is close to having dry ink on a contract yet The Boat House is actually under construction. Don't think Disney would be building it without a signed contract. Ditto for that Hangar place.

I did find that odd. He focuses more on downtown/Winter Park--I don't think I've seen a review of anywhere west of Millenia he didn't preface with "If you don't mind driving down by the theme parks ..."--but maybe he confused the two? Or maybe he has better sources with STK's owner than Landrys? (Latter wouldn't shock me.)

The Edison looks like fanboi kryptonite, will pull a lot of AdvClub fans. I don't see a market for STK or Morimoto, tho. Won't mesh well with the stroller-pushing, well-done flank steak crowd. Would be a much better fit on Sand Lake Road or even I-Drive. And I still have to ask, how does PI alone support 7 or 8 restaurants when the existing 3 rarely have waits outside peak seasons?

Stitchon

The Edison looks like fanboi kryptonite, will pull a lot of AdvClub fans. I don't see a market for STK or Morimoto, tho. Won't mesh well with the stroller-pushing, well-done flank steak crowd. Would be a much better fit on Sand Lake Road or even I-Drive. And I still have to ask, how does PI alone support 7 or 8 restaurants when the existing 3 rarely have waits outside peak seasons?

If Disney successfully pulls big name brands like those mentioned on the "vision board" (I have my doubts), then the caliber of guest and their needs for dining will certainly increase. Plus, more unique restaurants could bring more locals in.

PhotoDave219

If Disney successfully pulls big name brands like those mentioned on the "vision board" (I have my doubts), then the caliber of guest and their needs for dining will certainly increase. Plus, more unique restaurants could bring more locals in.

The parking situation is driving locals away. I wont go if its not early afternoon.

Alienating locals for two years will not get us to return in droves when its done.

lazyboy97o

The parking situation is driving locals away. I wont go if its not early afternoon.

Alienating locals for two years will not get us to return in droves when its done.
They couldn't get companies to sign on to the smaller "bold new vision" and Hyperion Wharf before they made park a mess. Hopefully there is a serious anchor or, even better, anchors.

EricJ

The Edison looks like fanboi kryptonite, will pull a lot of AdvClub fans.

Perfect themed fit. Edison seems MORE like the Hangar than the Hangar's likely imagining itself to be.

And I still have to ask, how does PI alone support 7 or 8 restaurants when the existing 3 rarely have waits outside peak seasons?
If anything, including the East side, I don't think we'd need a Boathouse and Fulton's Overpriced Crab House. This would be a good time to drop a few of the more upscale non-WestSide licenses.

CDavid

And I still have to ask, how does PI alone support 7 or 8 restaurants when the existing 3 rarely have waits outside peak seasons?

The only way it works is to attract much larger crowds of a clientele which hasn't frequented the place so much in the past (including many locals). That's hardly impossible, but especially at this point its an uphill battle. I don't see it working as well with hordes of WDW resort guests on an off-day from the parks.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The only way it works is to attract much larger crowds of a clientele which hasn't frequented the place so much in the past (including many locals). That's hardly impossible, but especially at this point its an uphill battle. I don't see it working as well with hordes of WDW resort guests on an off-day from the parks.

I think they are probably looking to attract more locals and convention visitors. A lot of people at conventions would rather eat at a restaurant known for its food or it's chef over one where you can meet the Beast afterwards. The local market could be an uphill battle. Is there enough demand for this many upscale restaurants? Not trying to put down Orlando, but it's not exactly NYC and WDW isn't even that close to downtown Orlando.

71jason

Original Poster
Plus, more unique restaurants could bring more locals in.

You're not the only one to say this, but what "locals" are you talking about? The CMs making $8/hour? Because it doesn't matter what restaurant you open, the residents of Seminole County are not going to drive an hour plus in Friday night traffic to go to Disney World. Not when Park Avenue and Sand Lake Road are closer and don't have as much of a touristy rep.

BigTxEars

I go to very large company conventions in Orlando twice a year, upwards of 12,000 people attend each. As far as dinning, well they better have a good booze selection because that is what most of the convention goers are looking forward to after a long day of business meetings :)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You're not the only one to say this, but what "locals" are you talking about? The CMs making $8/hour? Because it doesn't matter what restaurant you open, the residents of Seminole County are not going to drive an hour plus in Friday night traffic to go to Disney World. Not when Park Avenue and Sand Lake Road are closer and don't have as much of a touristy rep.
Pretty much what I was thinking. The convention business is more likely. People who are either putting their meals on an expense report or writing them off come tax time are more likely the targets. With DDP and the need to book most Disney park restaurants in advance it could be appealing to have places that won't always be full where you can actually walk up and get a table. Maybe they won't even take DDP. Do you force a chef to dumb down his menu to fit into price buckets? Maybe they would make them signature restaurants.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom