Disney Springs Plans: What do they mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDW1974

Original Poster
That may be true but WDW attracts a lot of international guests that would never visit your local mall.

True. But the internationals are MUCH more likely to vist The Mall at Millennia and The Florida Mall than the family of DVCers from Boston or Cherry Hill or Atlanta.

Clamman73

Look forward to driving around the parking garage, up and down each level waiting for someone to leave their spot just like I do now in the current parking lot because I absolutely refuse to try and park in any other lot except the one on the right as you pull in from Buena Vista. :)

wdw71fan

The BVDDTDMP (Buena Vista Drive/Downtown Disney Master Plan) has been revised 4 or 5 times as Raven stated...

This plan is well developed and well thought out, and the visuals and design are amazingly well done...

I also agree with Raven, the consistent negativity is a definite turn-off for me on these boards.. Most of the faithful are just ed because the plan doesn't include (nor has it ever) Adventurers Club.

lazyboy97o

But there is nothing groundbreaking in this. It should be very nice, but I'd argue that DD is very nice now and that WDW has far greater needs.
Did your friend tell you the average cost per space of a parking structure? Much less one built in a swamp and by Disney?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
The BVDDTDMP (Buena Vista Drive/Downtown Disney Master Plan) has been revised 4 or 5 times as Raven stated...

This plan is well developed and well thought out, and the visuals and design are amazingly well done...

I also agree with Raven, the consistent negativity is a definite turn-off for me on these boards.. Most of the faithful are just ed because the plan doesn't include (nor has it ever) Adventurers Club.

While some may be irritated the AC is still standing...

WDW1974

Original Poster
lol - I can't help but laugh at some of the reaction here

it's a shopping mall
just a way to get people to spend money
why go to Disney for this when I can do this at home
etc...etc...

geez people cmon... Disney is improving on something, expanding it, and making it somewhat appealing from the photos and all some want to do is complain.....so my question to those who apparently think DTD is supposed to be a 5th theme park or something, what would YOU do?

Again, the issue for me isn't Disney working to improve (in their opinion) DD. It's that Disney has four stale and largely neglected theme parks that it doesn't want to invest in, but is spending billions on NGE, DVC, resort expansion and DD makeover.

NONE of those things are what people go to WDW for to begin with. Without those four stale parks, none of this stuff would have a reason for being.

I fundamentally do not agree with how Disney is spending absurd sums of money at WDW when the theme park experience is crappier than it has ever been.

THAT is my issue.

rioriz

Have to disagree, I think those visiting an staying on property would come to the Springs first before going elsewhere. Looked at Millenia stores and many where the same as given by Raven. Give up PI already folks and let's move on.

This proposal will be much better than what DD is now

raven

Raven, after all this time you should know that my negativity about this news is by no means directed at you, or any other messenger. But rather the inability, unwillingness, or both of Disney to offer up much more for WDW than another means for its guests to spend their money. Instead of perhaps taking the radical concept of bringing more rides and attractions into all of the parks. But my reaction to this news was never personally directed towards you.

I know it isn't directed toward me but it's really daunting to see people bash Disney on a Disney fan site.

Before Disneyland there really weren't "theme" parks. Now everyone uses them as the standard. I agree that other companies have surpassed Disney but most of them used basic ideas that came from Disney in the first place. It's become a very competitve market and now Disney is actually trying to get back to it's roots of being family oriented rather than the biggest and best. A lot of guests prefer being totally submerged in a story than just riding something with a fancy name.

And like it or not, Disney Springs has a story but I won't devulge it for fear of even more bashing.

Virtual Toad

Can't help but notice how many are either generic or Disney or just space fillers ... 'Italian Restaurant' ... 'Walt's Place' ... ''Disney Burger' ...you wonder how many of these were just tossed out as concepts. They're going to have a lot of space to fill in a BAD retail market. And as much as I do NOT want to see more Disney locations, I fear we may get them.

Maybe, just maybe, the folks at Disney could step up and dream just a WEE bit bigger than "Disney Burger." You know, fill the Disney owned-and-operated spaces with unique, mind-blowing, one-of-a-kind experiences?

Or am I underestimating the sheer magical power and potential of Disney Burger?

articos

Thanks Raven for the info and dispelling all the typical negative response. If this pans out as we are hearing it will be much more enjoyable than CityWalk
It will absolutely be gorgeous, I have no doubt. If people are curious, I'd highly recommend they look at video from Americana in Glendale. It really is stunning, and a beautiful place to spend an afternoon/evening.

That said, I understand the negativity, which I don't think IS negativity. It's people who understand and remember what the Walt Disney Company used to be and purports to still stand for, while yearning for the current management to do something...anything...that shows they actually care about the product in the way the company used to tower above and beyond any other competitor. It's not negativity to be negative, it's trying to push the company and the company's customers into not settling. I get that, and I get that one tends to beget more, which turns into a feeling of a mob against the company, but I truly don't think that's what's going on. As staff of Universal Creative and Imagineers and 3rd party vendors to the industry, we all care deeply about the product, and want to create compelling experiences, entertainment, attractions, shopping, dining, retail, hotels, parking garages...you name it! But we work within the confines of the time and budget we are given. And as guests, we look to Disney and Universal to deliver a compelling, exciting, fun, interactive (bleh!), unique, delicious, comfortable, safe WHATEVER, and to maintain that to the standards that it was originally intended. As things grow, things fall through the cracks. And it's harder and harder to maintain quality. Is '74 being incredibly hard on the company, and is he potentially being unfair not believing Disney will do something right or to a high standard? Yes. Does he have every right to be, based on the current history? Yes. Is he doing it in the hopes that things will change? YES. (Sorry, '74, I'm making you an example, but I didn't think you'd mind, nor do I think I'm off the mark.) Does everyone else who thinks Disney has fallen have a right to think so? Yes, because they have. Period. There is no question here. Bu that doesn't mean they can't pick themselves up and make it right, and that's what everyone here is waiting for.

Sorry, diatribe over. [/soapbox]

dcibrando

APPLAUSE!!! :)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Disney has been fighting to keep their guests on their property for years. This is just another step in that direction. I personally don't see what's wrong with that.

This is the exact type of negativity that kept me from these boards for nearly a year.

Disney wouldn't have to 'fight' to keep guests on property if it weren't so out of touch with its core paks business and wasn't allowing said parks to become crowded stale shells of what they once were. I know you work for them, but that IS their problem. You don't hear DLR fans about all the changes that have happened to DD because they realize it's a sidelight to the two amazing parks that are there and being upgraded constantly ... same with UNI fans with City Walk here (and there for that matter).

The negativity, as you term it, is simply a result of anger and frustration with Disney not understanding its core business in O-Town. And it's a shame you don't post more frequently as your voice is a valued one here (not that I always agree with it)!

articos

Maybe, just maybe, the folks at Disney could step up and dream just a WEE bit bigger than "Disney Burger." You know, fill the Disney owned-and-operated spaces with unique, mind-blowing, one-of-a-kind experiences?

You are ABSOLUTELY underestimating the magical power and potential of the Disney Burger*. NEVER, EVER do so again. :)

*to be dry and tasteless, Disney Magic pending. ;)

These are placeholder names, for internal discussions only. It's ideas of things that could go in, not actual concepts or names.

rioriz

It will absolutely be gorgeous, I have not doubt. If people are curious, I'd highly recommend they look at video from Americana in Glendale. It really is stunning, and a beautiful place to spend an afternoon/evening.

That said, I understand the negativity, which I don't think IS negativity. It's people who understand and remember what the Walt Disney Company used to be and purports to still stand for, while yearning for the current management to do something...anything...that shows they actually care about the product in the way the company used to tower above and beyond any other competitor. It's not negativity to be negative, it's trying to push the company and the company's customers into not settling. I get that, and I get that one tends to beget more, which turns into a feeling of a mob against the company, but I truly don't think that's what's going on. As staff of Universal Creative and Imagineers and 3rd party vendors to the industry, we all care deeply about the product, and want to create compelling experiences, entertainment, attractions, shopping, dining, retail, hotels, parking garages...you name it! But we work within the confines of the time and budget we are given. And as guests, we look to Disney and Universal to deliver a compelling, exciting, fun, interactive (bleh!), unique, delicious, comfortable, safe WHATEVER, and to maintain that to the standards that it was originally intended. As things grow, things fall through the cracks. And it's harder and harder to maintain quality. Is '74 being incredibly hard on the company, and is he potentially being unfair not believing Disney will do something right or to a high standard? Yes. Does he have every right to be, based on the current history? Yes. Is he doing it in the hopes that things will change? YES. (Sorry, '74, I'm making you an example, but I didn't think you'd mind, nor do I think I'm off the mark.) Does everyone else who thinks Disney has fallen have a right to think so? Yes, because they have. Period. There is no question here. Bu that doesn't mean they can't pick themselves up and make it right, and that's what everyone here is waiting for.

Sorry, diatribe over. [/soapbox]

You can get on the box anytime. I just wish people will look at the project individually and not at "we could have got this ride and that".

I for one will love to spend a nice morning at IoA and then transition to The Springs for dinner bowling and beers!

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I'm surprised they didn't take my face saving suggestion for the Adventurers Club and include the Explorers Group on that giant page o' logos. I do love the spaghetti and meatballs at Italian restaurant.

Would it change your mind if you knew that each burger was going to contain a few molecules of Walt himself?

WDW1974

Original Poster

Nah. Cheap shot, but not true.

I liked the AC until it got taken over by chronics (many of whom are now Lifestylers/Bloggers etc). I didn't even visit it the last 2 1/2 years it was open, and never have demanded it be reopened anymore than I've demanded a return of Horizons, River Country or Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

I'm ed because Disney is spending money in ways that I don't think provide bang for the buck for either shareholders or, more importantly, guests and fans. Simple as that.

rudyjr13

I know it isn't directed toward me but it's really daunting to see people bash Disney on a Disney fan site.

Before Disneyland there really weren't "theme" parks. Now everyone uses them as the standard. I agree that other companies have surpassed Disney but most of them used basic ideas that came from Disney in the first place. It's become a very competitve market and now Disney is actually trying to get back to it's roots of being family oriented rather than the biggest and best. A lot of guests prefer being totally submerged in a story than just riding something with a fancy name.

And like it or not, Disney Springs has a story but I won't devulge it for fear of even more bashing.

This plan looks nice and thank you for your input but I don't know how you can turn a blind eye to the current state of the parks and transportation. That's where the "negativity" is directed and coming from. This plan won't make me book a trip but it will get me back to DTD after skipping it the past 3 trips.

Wow us with news that Carsland is green lit. Tell us Avatarland is a GO. Enlighten us with the next MK project. That will stop the negativity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom