Disney Springs Plans: What do they mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Empress Lilly

I just keep promoting the idea of someone bringing in a waffle stand to DTD that sells the real deal. I am convinced it would make billions.

It should look like this.....

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=waffle stand belgium&id=F5EDFD57D7FE16E1BD15366CCF5ECD6615AA39FB&FORM=IQFRBA#view=detail&id=0A3D4C52C1DE1F2A09677743B469557ED8FC5885&selectedIndex=4
Yes! A waffle stand would make those billions from me alone!
mampf6.gif

WDW needs Belgium in World Showcase. Best architecture and the greatest food in the world. Yum!

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
Well not to worry, I hate the Florida Mall as well. ;) PitA to get to and in a bad neighborhood. Also, super touristy.
All that PLUS the hucksters inside harassing me to try their clip in hair extensions, hair straighteners, hand lotions, jewelery cleaners and cell phone plans lol

Sneezy62

Sephora...Wow factor...how about working with someone like Olivier Creed to bring something unique and amazing to the place. Has anybody ever seen Creed in the France pavilion by the way? I actually was disappointed they didn't have it when I was there. I kinda thought they would.

PhotoDave219

All that PLUS the hucksters inside harassing me to try their clip in hair extensions, hair straighteners, hand lotions, jewelery cleaners and cell phone plans lol

Sounds like you're on a midway carnival or something. Hucksters & Charlatans - just like Oz! (or the movie for that matter)

MattM

Oh your so tough. I just think its idiotic that someone would think that Oz would make less than 25 mill.
Thanks! But I really wasn't trying to be tough. Make sure you come back so you can see his reaction if he's wrong...since you need that sort of thing I guess...

71jason

I wonder if Walt's Place would be anything like Walts at Disneyland Paris which I also love-beautiful restaurant.

For what it's worth, which isn't a lot, I think this was the name of a proposed restaurant for the original PI. It was described as being like "The Bubble Room" (a long-extinct Orlando restaurant that was big in the 80s) but with all Disney-related tchotchkies. Think the 70s/80s stuff on the walls at TGI Fridays but with specific to the company. Again, no idea if this is still the idea or not.

The food trucks are cool though.

As cheesy as they are, probably not a bad idea during the busiest times of the year. I still think DTD needs more counter service more than anything, even nightlife, but the crowds you need to feed during Christmas and Spring Break simply aren't there to support businesses year-round. Food trucks can fill that gap.

jmb2676

It very well.. but the weekend totals have been soft.. lets not forget this isn't summer blockbuster time, nor is it a holiday weekend. The last film to even break $50mil on its opening weekend was the Hobbit. Only three films since last summer have broken 50mil their opening weekend. Skyfall, Twilight, and Hobbit... and the last before that was the Dark Knight all the way back in July.

I don't think Oz has the draw of any of those films IMO. The entire weekend draw has been roughly 80-120million per weekend over the last two months.. I don't see Oz taking 75% of the weekend gross or boosting the weekend gross 40+%

I could be wrong.. but we'll see :)

The Hollywood Stock Exchange has it predicted to open in the $70mil range. Not saying I believe it will but they tend to be pretty accurate on this stuff. I still haven't been able to figure out if I really want to see it yet, so maybe the advertising isn't working all that well on us undecideds.

dhall

LOL, yes it seems Tanger is very popular. What surprised me is we get people who drive in from GA and SC for hours to go shopping at Tanger. Black Friday they open at 12AM Friday morning/night and there are enough people that news crews show up. Really thousands show up for the beginning of the Christmas season.

The Hilton Head mall is being torn down as we speak and it's being redeveloped into a Tanger style outlet mall and they are building Condo's and public use areas to take advantage of the view of Board Creek. I'm sure the shoppers will enjoy it. http://www.hiltonheadislandsc.gov/d...ment/sheltercovemall/sheltercovemallredev.cfm

The town also is trying to develop the land from the mall north into something but they can't seem to come up with a good plan. If nothing else 5 years from now that whole area will be much different.

The mall right next to Disney Hilton Head?? They're putting a Kroger there??? (it's doomed). The other highlight of our visits there is the multiple trips to Publix: there are rumors of expansion into NC proper (past Charlotte, anyway) but until that happens, Hilton Head is usually the only place we see them.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
That bright yellow eventually fades?

With repeated washings yes. I always hope the CM who I've made eye contact with will challenge me as I slowly fill and dump out the mug's contents. Since the mug is faded I now have to make sure they are focusing on it (luckily it is a different shape) as I rhythmically chant, "You gonna do anything about it." (slightly different from a recent mug thread post, but close enough)

dhall

With repeated washings yes. I always hope the CM who I've made eye contact with will challenge me as I slowly fill and dump out the mug's contents. Since the mug is faded I now have to make sure they are focusing on it (luckily it is a different shape) as I rhythmically chant, "You gonna do anything about it." (slightly different from a recent mug thread post, but close enough)

Mine's umpteen years old, but it doesn't look to me like it's faded any. Of course, I'm usually only looking at it before I've drained it of its heavily caffeinated contents: that might just make it look brighter than it is.

It took me a long time to find 20oz replacements for those really old Aladdin mugs (the company, not the Disney character). There's a woman at work that has one of the old Wilderness Lodge mugs that looks like the day she bought it -- mine is pretty beat to heck.

yoyoflamingo

Mine's umpteen years old, but it doesn't look to me like it's faded any. Of course, I'm usually only looking at it before I've drained it of its heavily caffeinated contents: that might just make it look brighter than it is.

It took me a long time to find 20oz replacements for those really old Aladdin mugs (the company, not the Disney character). There's a woman at work that has one of the old Wilderness Lodge mugs that looks like the day she bought it -- mine is pretty beat to heck.

I thought I was the only one who remember those REALLY old mugs. We had the Contemporary ones - wish I could find it!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Thinking about how people will actually use something instead of just making a hidden Mickey in it... that's good design! Solving your problems before you have them; I feel like WDW used to brag about that more in a way I can't quite quantify.

I was flipping through Jeff Kurtti's Since the World Began the other day and there was a little blurb about the purple/black/red road signs and how they went through this whole design process and got this big design firm to help and how they simplified down to the "Epcot Resorts Area" idea and yada yada yada... that's good design. I wonder what would happen today? Disembodied Mickey arm arrows everywhere?

Interesting post because it brings up two points that don't really have much to do with the above, but popped into my head when reading it:

1.) The entire purple, red and white signs were largely the work of John Hench and while some folks loved them, I always found them tacky. They made their debut in 1989 to go with the resort expansion and major additions like Disney-MGM, EPCOT resort area, Typhoon Lagoon, Pleasure Island, final phases of CBR and start of OKW construction.

Personally, I preferred the national park like white on brown signs that WDW had from 1971-1989. Simple. Basic. Classy.

2.) I haven't put this out yet, so take it as VERY informed rumour, but rumour nonetheless. That is that Disney is planning on reclassifying resorts based on location and not value, moderate, deluxe, villa etc. ... So, for instance GF, Poly, Contemp, WL would be MK resorts. CBR, AoA and POP would be WWoS resorts. All Stars and Coronado would be Blizzard Beach/McD's resorts (yes, that IS how they are listed).

No idea what level of thinking this is at. But my gut says that yet again it's a way to raise prices across the board. There are fools out there who already pay $100-150 a night for a basic Disney motel room, I'm sure the thinking may be that Disney can squeeze more revenue out of the resorts by losing terms like 'value' and 'moderate'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom