'Disney Springs' - Downtown Disney expansion officially announced

muteki

Here's something odd for pieces of Disney Concept Art...

...is everyone white?

They look like cheap clip art pulled from random photos and run through a photoshop filter. I wonder if anyone knows their image was used? Why not get the artist that did the rest of the work to do the people too?

Nubs70

I don't get how it takes 3 years though - weren't people saying 16-19 months, so we have effectively doubled the time frame. Again eh?
As in following posts, the project will be carried out in several concurrent phases with each phase taking 16 -19 months to complete from first shovel to completion.

Typical large construction projects are carried out in an EPC format with payments being made as milestones are completed. Milestone payment structure (as stated in other posts) allows for Disney to spread out the payments across the entirety of the project thus minimizing the impact on cash flow.

Genie of the Lamp

How many phases are there to this project? Which phase will be considered the biggest or contain the most work? Phase 1 looks like it's going to take a year and a half. So all in all, it ain't that bad considering the pace they are conducting on another future attraction in NFL is lagging along.

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
They look like cheap clip art pulled from random photos and run through a photoshop filter. I wonder if anyone knows their image was used? Why not get the artist that did the rest of the work to do the people too?
Its common in renderings to use stock people, trees and bushes etc. There are companies that sell compilations of such images specifically for that use. The people look, to me anyway, as if they came from such a source. It makes sense to use stock images to allow them to concentrate on the actual focus of the renderings, the architecture. I've been out of the field for a long time but it was certainly common practice years ago.

dupac

A pub you say? You mean like Raglan Road? ;)
Always forget about that place since I've never been. I just assumed it was a family restaurant that called itself a pub. I may have to try it out next time, but it will have high standards to live up to. Our local Irish pub is fantastic.

Just as reference, when I think of a pub I think of

Blackbird
McNellie's
RePUBlic

muteki

Its common in renderings to use stock people, trees and bushes etc. There are companies that sell compilations of such images specifically for that use. The people look, to me anyway, as if they came from such a source. It makes sense to use stock images to allow them to concentrate on the actual focus of the renderings, the architecture. I've been out of the field for a long time but it was certainly common practice years ago.

I understand its off the shelf and common but I'd rather see them put a little more effort into it. Look at Ryman's artwork to see what they used to produce, heck even the most recent FLE and MK work didn't have clip art in it. I realize this is a mall, just expecting a little more.

Sneezy62

I am a lover of "Old Florida" And I feel that the Old Florida charm of the 20's - 30's can feel exotic in this day and age with how much of Old Florida has been bulldozed for strip malls and stuccoed buildings.

What towns do you think they may have drawn inspiration from?

I went down in 2008 and just drove around and looked up old places that my grandparents and their ancestors had lived. There is still a lot of old FLA around in places like Polk and Sumter counties. Even just up the road once you get past the HWY 50 corridor my old stomping grounds of Ocoee, Wintergarden and Apopka seem to have changed relatively little. My folks were so appalled and frightened by the changes that Disney and other developments were bringing that they moved to NC when I was still a kid so I was surprised to see that most places outside of the main highways had changed so little.

mgf

According to a poster on Twitter, there will be a bar that is like Trader Sam's run by Disney in the new areas.

Not exactly what I read. From Attractions Mag: "When asked about Trader Sams possibly coming, Staggs said they will have some uniquely Disney venues but no direct copies from Disneyland."

That does not confirm a bar necessarily. Too vague and too canned.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom