'Disney Springs' - Downtown Disney expansion officially announced

tissandtully

In my experience the outlets are not at all less expensive than the mall, they just pretend to be. The deals are to be found at the factory stores but there you're getting substantially lower quality items that are made specifically to be sold dirt cheap at the outlets. You'll never find those same items for sale in the regular stores. If you're lucky you may be able to find some out of season deals or seconds but you have to be pretty diligent.
This. Thank you for bringing this up, Outlet Malls are totally a facade designed to sell far less superior items with name-branding on them, and everyone gets a cut. The worst deal ever.

scpergj

Did you know you're 100% wrong?

Sorry, it has everything to do with the 9/11 attacks. Tourism stopped in this country immediately. Pop didnt open until 2004 and even THAT almost didnt happen.

I would direct you to this thread here -> http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/pop-century-resort-postponed.2635/

EDIT-> look at Steve's post here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/pop-century-resort-postponed.2635/#post-31630

Close on the date...but not quite right. We stayed there the weekend they opened (they were open for just a few days when we checked in) the weekend before Christmas of 2003. I'm 100% positive on the dates...I graduated from UNF earlier that month...and I think I have pictures with dates stamped on them.

ToTBellHop

Well this thread took a turn to the obnoxious. For what it's worth, this is a DISCUSSION forum.

I for one am very pleased that they are finally working on Downtown Disney. It needs it and honestly what they are doing is taking what they have (of which portions are very successful) and expanding it while making everything much more aesthetically pleasing and getting rid of the dead space. That makes me happy. If they had just announced the DHS expansion at the same time, we'd all (well, most of us) be ecstatic and Disney would get the buzz they want (rather than a story on CNN days later pointing out that a kid drowned at a place called Pop Century in somewhere called the "ESPN Wide World of Sports Resort.")

Also, if I'm being honest, I'm an adult but I don't go to Central Florida to go clubbing. I go to experience world-class attractions, take in impressive theming, eat, and, yes, shop. All of which will be included at Disney Springs.

GLaDOS

Also, if I'm being honest, I'm an adult but I don't go to Central Florida to go clubbing. I go to experience world-class attractions, take in impressive theming, eat, and, yes, shop. All of which will be included at Disney Springs.

I see this thrown around a lot, and I don't really get it. I don't think most of the people that want an area for 21+ people to enjoy themselves are clamoring for somewhere to go rave. Just a nice bar district, preferably with the Disney touch ala Trader Sam's.

ToTBellHop

Close on the date...but not quite right. We stayed there the weekend they opened (they were open for just a few days when we checked in) the weekend before Christmas of 2003. I'm 100% positive on the dates...I graduated from UNF earlier that month...and I think I have pictures with dates stamped on them.
Right--I remember having a refillable mug that said "Grand Opening December 2003." Point is, POP was delayed due to 9/11--the same reason Port Orleans closed in November 2001 for 6 months.

disneyeater

It also doesn't help that both are a PITA to get to when you are staying on property. You either have to go after a night at EPCOT, or take a bus to DTD and then another bus to Boardwalk, and then repeat that process either way to get home after EPCOT's closing.

I'd take a bus to DHS and walk. Or take a cab. Certainly not the most convenient to get to, but the DTD bus transfer option is the worst.

ToTBellHop

I see this thrown around a lot, and I don't really get it. I don't think most of the people that want an area for 21+ people to enjoy themselves are clamoring for somewhere to go rave. Just a nice bar district, preferably with the Disney touch ala Trader Sam's.
I understand, but as far as WDW is concerned, Disney wants to build things that will cause folks to get on a plane and fly to the swamps. Which I don't think clubs really are (IMHO).

GLaDOS

I understand, but as far as WDW is concerned, Disney wants to build things that will cause folks to get on a plane and fly to the swamps. Which I don't think clubs really are (IMHO).

Again, you're focusing on the word "clubs", which is not what I described in the quoted post.

I don't think people are going to get on a plane and fly to the swamp to go to an Apple store either. But that doesn't mean I think there's no reason for one there.

DTD should have differentiated offerings, and I don't think 4-5 establishments in the vein of Trader Sam's would do anything but help.

PhotoDave219

I stayed there in Jan 2004 as well. Doesnt really make much difference between Christmas 2003 & Jan 2004.

CP_alum08

I disagree. Besides driving into downtown Orlando there aren't many places for locals or CMs to go for a night out around WDW/LBV/Celebration (besides Fridays, Applebees, etc.) I think having a PI-like area again would draw those locals and CMs back to the area which is a pretty big number of people.

jakeman

I disagree. Besides driving into downtown Orlando there aren't many places for locals or CMs to go for a night out around WDW/LBV/Celebration (besides Fridays, Applebees, etc.) I think having a PI-like area again would draw those locals and CMs back to the area which is a pretty big number of people.
I think the PI-like area isn't viable any more. I think the days of closed off adult only sections are over.

While Disney obviously isn't concerned about the demographic, I think there is a demand for adult only venues (not admission gated areas) after a certain time of night.

Disney really needs to go upscale though. Church Street and Uni have their demographic. Disney should look into gastro pubs, tap rooms, and wine bars that are open until a reasonable hour to the general public then are closed off to the under 21 crowd.

Having been a CM, I can understand Disney not wanting to cater to that crowd. We were cheap.

the.dreamfinder

Disney really needs to go upscale though. Church Street and Uni have their demographic. Disney should look into gastro pubs, tap rooms, and wine bars that are open until a reasonable hour to the general public then are closed off to the under 21 crowd.
Disney's Brooklyn???

lazyboy97o

I think a good word be sophisticated. A place that doesn't need to beat you over the head with the experience.

GLaDOS

This as well. I think any of the above ideas given the "Disney" flair would be the perfect establishments for Disney Springs.

I think a good word be sophisticated. A place that doesn't need to beat you over the head with the experience.

Right, which, IMO, is why Sam's is the perfect model, at least for 2-3 spots in the new area. It gives the "Disney" feel, without being a place that's impossible just to hang out in. Then have 2-3 more spots that are themed to the hilt, but more of a "relaxing" spot.

lazyboy97o

Right, which, IMO, is why Sam's is the perfect model, at least for 2-3 spots in the new area. It gives the "Disney" feel, without being a place that's impossible just to hang out in. Then have 2-3 more spots that are themed to the hilt, but more of a "relaxing" spot.
Relaxing is another good word. Far too much of the Walt Disney World experience has been geared towards the GO! GO! GO! crowd. Yes, it's good for moving people through, but it creates a very different atmosphere. Part of the Old Florida idea being more theme than decor is going to be creating an experience that reflects the romantic ideas of Old Florida, and I do not see hustle and bustle fitting into that concept.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom