Disney slowly losing our dollars.

Disneyhead'71

Weird,really weird.I'am now convinced I'am at a different WDW than certain people on here who go on about things that ain't right,example,a drop in maintenance :confused: Quality of food :confused:. I can now look at a avatar and know what the outcome will be.In fact Theres a list in my head of these people ( trying hard not to quote doom & gloomers ) Now before you go on about me wearing certain glasses or drinking Kool aid,or whatever.I truly feel sorry for first timers reading about all this " Gloom " I don't remember the good old days,my first visit was in 2004, but Ive yet to have a bad experience in maintenance or food quality departments.
How many people who have never been to WDW are members of Fan Forums?

And I am glad you enjoy the place. And as someone who has been going to WDW for the past 9 years you are certainly entitled to your opinion. And as someone who has been going to WDW for the past 42 years I am entitled to mine. But accept that we may have a different perspective. Neither of us is right and neither of us is wrong.

But I will say that one of my most disappointing trips happened in 2006 when I swore to NEVER stay on Disney Property again. So shortly after your first visit, I was already swearing off of certain parts of it.

real mad hatter

How many people who have never been to WDW are members of Fan Forums?

And I am glad you enjoy the place. And as someone who has been going to WDW for the past 9 years you are certainly entitled to your opinion. And as someone who has been going to WDW for the past 42 years I am entitled to mine. But accept that we may have a different perspective. Neither of us is right and neither of us is wrong.

But I will say that one of my most disappointing trips happened in 2006 when I swore to NEVER stay on Disney Property again. So shortly after your first visit, I was already swearing off of certain parts of it.
Well after 42 years of going to WDW. Your a Disney veteran and I'am not saying anything about your opinions.I'am only envious, and you must have had more magic times than non magic times,or you wouldn't have spent 42 years of your vacations in the same place.

The Empress Lilly

In 2005, a 10-day Magic Your Way ticket with park hopping, water parks, and "No Expiration" cost $377.00.
In 2012, the same ticket cost $672.00.
That's a compound price increase of 8.6% annually.
That's a price difference of $295.00.
WDW's attendance has declined in 2 of the last 3 years while simultaneously exploding at Universal so it appears a lot of people seem to think the same thing. There's a reason Burbank is making several senior management changes, and it's not because they are happy with the state of WDW's business.
There is another truth that becomes apparant when you read your posts in combination. What the two posts say, what TDO also reads in the above two posts, is that WDW could almost double its prices, during the greatest economic crisis since the 30s, while the competition made massive investments, and still maintain stable attendance numbers. Without a $1.5 billon make-over too!

Panic? What panic?

Disneyhead'71

Well after 42 years of going to WDW. Your a Disney veteran and I'am not saying anything about your opinions.I'am only envious, and you must have had more magic times than non magic times,or you wouldn't have spent 42 years of your vacations in the same place.
Absolutely! And I am very encouraged about the fact that winds of change may have blown into town. I believe that it's an ebb and flow thing. I just think WDW is at low tide right now, so high tide has to be coming. Disneyland went through the same thing from 1996-2003, but it's kicking on all cylinders now.

The pricing thing is a different matter than the parks experience. If they get the parks back into shape, the pricing will become a moot point.

real mad hatter

Absolutely! And I am very encouraged about the fact that winds of change may have blown into town. I believe that it's an ebb and flow thing. I just think WDW is at low tide right now, so high tide has to be coming. Disneyland went through the same thing from 1996-2003, but it's kicking on all cylinders now.

The pricing thing is a different matter than the parks experience. If they get the parks back into shape, the pricing will become a moot point.
Well I'am on dry land until 2014. So I hope the tide is high in July in 2014.:)

sweetpee_1993

I'm definitely in agreement with the ebb and flow of many things in life. Since we're talking about a specific resort, I'm right with you on your analogy of where WDW is in the tide cycle. The bolded part above is where I am afraid. Why? Because during this time guests were killed on 2 separate occasions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incidents_at_Disneyland_Resort
(see the notations for BTMRR & the sailing ship Columbia)

Hasn't happened at WDW...yet...but who's to say it won't? Nobody can say with absolute certainty that it can't or won't occur at WDW because it HAS happened before during a similar "low tide" at a Disney property in the US. This is what I fear most. I've voiced it before. Without saying it all again or going into specifics it's a big concern for me. I choose not to say too much, actually, because I know I'd be dismissed as a loon. I definitely have my thoughts on this subject. Very unsettling.

Disneyhead'71

There is another truth that becomes apparant when you read your posts in combination. What the two posts say, what TDO also reads in the above two posts, is that WDW could almost double its prices, during the greatest economic crisis since the 30s, while the competition made massive investments, and still maintain stable attendance numbers. Without a $1.5 billon make-over too!

Panic? What panic?
But there is a lot more involved with the Universal story that preceded it's big jump in attendance that can't be overlooked. And that is that 7 years before the UOR "renaissance", NBC bought Universal Studios and then immediately proceeded to try and sell of the parks division. They spent 5 years trying to sell them and during that time they added nothing and let maintenance slide. The result was that the attendance number plummeted. It took a change in thinking along with some major investing to turn it around. The turn around started before Potter with the addition of Disaster!, the Simpson's Ride, and the Seuss High in the Sky Trolly. Then the $265 Potter expansion put them back in the game. Potter paid for itself in less than a year. It was after they saw the results of adding stuff like Potter that they decided on the big $1.5B improvement plan. Transformers:The Ride 3D, The Simpson's expansion, Potter 2.0, Cabana Bay Beach Resort, are about $750 million of that $1.5B. So there is still a lot more coming that hasn't been announced. Exciting times ahead for the Universal Orlando Resort.

BryceM

Yes but Universal raised ticket prices even more than WDW and their attendance exploded. So did DLR. What do these two resorts have in common?;)

Two parks, three on-site hotels, an entertainment district, everything is easily accessible and close, good maintenance and always adding/innovating their parks.

There are a bunch of similarities between Universal Orlando Resort and Disneyland Resort... :eek:

epcotisbest

Original Poster
You aren't the only one. Believe me. I'm in the same boat as you. WDW gets less of my time and therefore less of my money. In fact, in October of this year, I don't think they are getting ANY of my time and money despite staying on site.

We have stayed on site and not visited any parks. Still manage to resort hop and eat at several different restaurants though.

real mad hatter

You have it switched. It's a meteorite when it's in space and a meteor when it enters the Earth's atmosphere.
Sorry to nitpick.
Afraid You've got it wrong.If it lands on earth,it's a meteorite.In space astronomers call it a meteor or shooting star,not to be confused with comets or asteroids.When I taught astronomy at Glasgow University we were always taught the difference quasars & pulsars.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom