Disney Slacking on Hospitality

Cosmic Commando

I agree about managing expectations. You have every right to be disappointed in obviously bad service, like off-color remarks by the Photopass photographer or the housekeeping lady arguing with you at 1 AM over a very broken fridge... just know what you have a right to expect. I'm sorry that all the posters with problems had the bad service that they did. Even a Disney vacation at a value isn't cheap, so we all deserve to be treated well.

There were a couple of things that jumped out at me, though. As another poster mentioned, room requests are not guaranteed. If you paid for a certain "view" and got a cheaper room category without a refund, then that IS an issue. I've heard they are incredibly flexible with what gets called savannah view at AKL. Think of the juggling act that must go on with hundreds of arrivals and departures every day at some resorts. It gets more difficult as the resort gets fuller.

Regarding a table for 12 being split up... I don't know where the cutoff is, but eventually Disney warns you that large parties may be split up. 12 is a pretty large table to find in a restaurant that is likely booked solid open to close (aren't they all at WDW?). It's a similar issue to making sure everyone has a room to sleep in at a resort. You can try to plan an area for a large party to sit, but every table spends a different amount of time eating: appetizers, dessert, someone sent food back, they took a long time to order, etc. Then your beautiful plan is shot to hell. I noticed when I made ADRs online for my Jan/Feb trip that an ADR for a party of 9 included a warning about being split up.

Are the CMs getting worse? Maybe. When you have a really bad experience or a few bad ones in a row, it certainly seems like it. But I think CMs on the whole are still amazing.

britdaw

I'm really sorry for you guys that had bad experiences. Disney World is supposed to be the happiest place on Earth, so we all expect that everyone's going to be so excited and helpful all the time, but the truth is that people aren't perfect, and bad days happen to everyone. I hope this isn't a trend that the CM's really are getting "worse" with each year, but I like to think you just met a bad apple.

Tom Morrow

The majority of problems like these are a result of the big management flush from a few years ago. They don't have enough managers and they don't train them well enough.
No, that has literally nothing to do with it. Before the "flush", there were too many guest service managers.

bandman

I have to say things aren't the same as they were 20 years ago. A stay at the Polynesian back then was truly special. Now, not so much.

I wonder about the effect prices have on the situation. Prices now are nearly the same as they were back then, especially when you take into account that for a significant part of the year, dining is free. The restaurants are always packed making it much more difficult to be accommodating or to provide top notch service. Have the occupancy rates gone up as well? It seems that way, but I couldn't say for sure.

MCO Dreamin

Was there in Feb. and went to Captains Grill at YC, when we met the hostess she asked what resort we were staying at (POR), to which she had a funny look, I asked if there was a problem and she responded no, they just like to sit those resort guests together and save the good seats for their resort guests, then she said she was joking, joking or not that was poor.
Then when we were finishing the waiter came over and told us the customary tip was 18-20% and how did we want to take care of that?!, that was poor.
I also want to pass on some learned advice, we have always come in on early flights, taken Magical express to the resort and gotten on a bus to go to the parks, when we get back later our bags are in our room.
Well this time we took a late flight and after getting to POR we were told it takes 5 hours to get the luggage delivered to your room, needless to say it was 2:30 A.M. till we finally got our bags, so anyone coming in on a later flight is advised, get your own bags.

smk

We stayed at Sports in September of last year. We had quite a few problems, soaked carpet, broken water lines, frig issues etc...We talked to the night manager, a very nice CM named Kimi, and we felt very cared for and well compensated right away. We never asked for anything, she provided it all. Quite impressive and very appreciated. For a "value" resort we had very good service. That is one of the reason we like WDW, we have never had bad service and I hope we never do.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Arround the peak season stores, delivery companys and I am assuming disney will hire a seasonal staff fast and make it as cheap as possible. At work we had seasonal workers who were good for nothing, it was easier to work ourselvs into the ground then boss these idiots arround. They would be forgiven for things that would get me fired because they were seasonal. I learned that in allot of situations half the seasonal workers are bad news.

Magenta Panther

I seem to notice it more and more with each trip I go on. During my trip a few weeks ago, one of the cast members outside the Haunted Mansion was talking to another CM and was saying how she was so glad that it was her "Friday" and how she couldn't wait to get off of work. I've seen/heard other CM's display the same type of behavior too.

The problem is, there are not enough quality "Disney" people to fill every open position that Walt Disney World has. The resort has gotten so huge. I'm sure it's tough to find great cast members to fill all of their open positions. At some point, they probably have to start being less picky in their hiring just to get all of their spots filled.

I think that Disney should understand how important CMs are to their overall guest experience, and reward good CMs with better pay and incentives. I have worked at jobs where the management felt that the quality of worker wasn't all that important to their bottom line, and then the quality would drop and customers would start complaining and the profits would sink, and then OH MY the attitude was SUDDENLY "we'd better see about retaining good workers so we can build up customer satisfaction" - things they wouldn't have to do in the first place if they'd had the brains to value good workers. :rolleyes: I'm telling you, that cycle goes on and on at the place I work now. It's ridiculous. I wonder how bad things have to get at the parks before Disney gets the message and starts offering better wages and benefits? Me, I'd work at the parks in a minute, and be the best CM in the history of the world if the pay was decent. But if the pay is low, then the grind of dealing with the public five days a week would be enough to kill anyone's enthusiasm. And in the Florida heat too. I don't see how even the best CMs manage. :(

Krack

Disney gets the employees they pay for. In the 70s and 80s, they paid significantly more for entry level than McDonalds or Burger King. So it was something special to get a job at Disney World. Now, im fairly certain, you make more flipping burgers than you do starting out in the Magic Kingdom.

Is everyone terrible? Of course not. 99.9% of all employees at WDW are terrific and most go the extra mile. But as someone said earlier, QC has slipped and over time (decades), it's noticeable. A few not-so-magical people pop up from time to time.

However, I will say this ... society's pleasantness has slipped dramatically as well. It is my experience that people were far friendlier and more patient and relaxed in the early 80s than today. Now, you could argue (and I would) that part of this change is caused by Disney itself (they charge soooo much more now, everything is over scheduled and managed, the marketing tells people they must do things - like hug Mickey), but regardless, it must be far more difficult to work in WDW customer service positions than it was 20 years ago.

Mikester71

I have never experienced bad service... but I only have two trips to recall upon. I was there May 2010 and March 2011 and had nothing but prime service. I was actually surprised I didnt get anyone rude at all.

In fact... at mousegears I had a CM let me have 3 chances for a vinylmation trade in!

My wife and son had the same thing happen at a store in the MK when my son bought his Vinylmation. The CM working behind the register actually pulled out a little mirror and held it behind the counter so that my son could see which one he was trading for. Thought that was kinda cool of him! :sohappy:

lbrad

Arround the peak season stores, delivery companys and I am assuming disney will hire a seasonal staff fast and make it as cheap as possible. At work we had seasonal workers who were good for nothing, it was easier to work ourselvs into the ground then boss these idiots arround. They would be forgiven for things that would get me fired because they were seasonal. I learned that in allot of situations half the seasonal workers are bad news.

Sad but true!!!! I have the same issues at work :(

dreamfinder

Well this time we took a late flight and after getting to POR we were told it takes 5 hours to get the luggage delivered to your room, needless to say it was 2:30 A.M. till we finally got our bags, so anyone coming in on a later flight is advised, get your own bags.

This is why if your flight arrives at 10pm, they won't deliver your bags to the room. Specifically to avoid this issue.

To comment on the general quality, krack hit it dead on. Disney used to pay more than other employees in the area, both at WDW and DLR. DLR especially employees have many other options in the same area that will pay more, so the good CM's will often go elsewhere to avoid hassles and for easier work for more money.
WDW has the same issue. If I remember correctly, they are the largest single site employer in the world. So they need to hire tons and tons of people. But yet they still pay not much. So think about it, if you can earn more at another location, why wouldn't you?

blm07

Bad service can and will occasionally happen.
But since the dawn of time, people have been complaining and proclaiming "How things were so much better back in the day".

I guarantee ten years from now, people will be talking about how service has gone downhill and asking "Why can't it be like it was back in 2011?

It's human nature to think things used to be better.

Like my Uncle who swears television was better back in the 70's.

Uh-huh, sure it was Unc, all 6 channels.:animwink:

I've been going to WDW for 20 years.
In my book, all's well with the cast members.

This is a good time to quote the Sunscreen song:
Accept certain inalienable truths, prices will rise, politicians will
philander, you too will get old, and when you do you’ll fantasize
that when you were young prices were reasonable, politicians were
noble and children respected their elders.

Even I'm starting to think like this with the music kids listen to these days, and the Disney channel too. Lady Gaga and tween canned laughter 24 hours a day? Oh wait, maybe it's not just me, new music and the Disney channel is terrible :cry:

RyanJW

We stayed at Sports in September of last year. We had quite a few problems, soaked carpet, broken water lines, frig issues etc...We talked to the night manager, a very nice CM named Kimi, and we felt very cared for and well compensated right away. We never asked for anything, she provided it all. Quite impressive and very appreciated. For a "value" resort we had very good service. That is one of the reason we like WDW, we have never had bad service and I hope we never do.

This may have changed. When I went down in 12/10 to propose to my now fiance, we got in at around midnight (after numerous flight delays..) At that point they don't even take your bags- you have to go to one end of the airport, pick up your bags and then go to the other end of the airport to get to the bus.. one of the only reasons why I don't like taking late flights to WDW. The next day they told us they would have brought our bags to our room the following day if we arrived late.

Edeyore

I seem to notice it more and more with each trip I go on. During my trip a few weeks ago, one of the cast members outside the Haunted Mansion was talking to another CM and was saying how she was so glad that it was her "Friday" and how she couldn't wait to get off of work. I've seen/heard other CM's display the same type of behavior too.

The problem is, there are not enough quality "Disney" people to fill every open position that Walt Disney World has. The resort has gotten so huge. I'm sure it's tough to find great cast members to fill all of their open positions. At some point, they probably have to start being less picky in their hiring just to get all of their spots filled.

Part of that may be due to the pay they receive. I checked a disney career site not too long ago and it amazes me how good the service is when many cast members are probably being paid only about $8.00 an hour.

stratman50th

I have to say things aren't the same as they were 20 years ago. A stay at the Polynesian back then was truly special. Now, not so much.

I wonder about the effect prices have on the situation. Prices now are nearly the same as they were back then, especially when you take into account that for a significant part of the year, dining is free. The restaurants are always packed making it much more difficult to be accommodating or to provide top notch service. Have the occupancy rates gone up as well? It seems that way, but I couldn't say for sure.
I don't know what the cost of the Poly was 20 years ago, but I can't believe it's the same?:eek: I do believe that the experience did seem special though. I was at the Port Orleans back then, and it was special.
I just think that the service and overall experience should equate to the price you are paying to stay there. What's so deluxe about a deluxe resort except the room size? And I admit the rooms are a good size and the balconies are really nice. What do the deluxe resorts offer that the others don't to as Walt would say, "Plus the show". Where is the value for the dollar? Monorail is very nice, but there are other deluxe resorts on property without the monorail.
I've never been at a time when they are giving away free dining. That is a huge expense for us. I'd love to get some of that except the times it's offered we can't go.
Maybe we should start another thread on accommodations as this is for cast members.

I'll say it a second time, I have never had a bad experience with a cast member in all my trips there. At least with something the CM actually had some control over. I always go out of my way to treat them with respect and a smile also though, knowing that the guests they have to encounter aren't always deserving of their kindness. I want them to know that I care that they are putting forth an effort to make my experience a good (magical:D) one.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I don't know what the cost of the Poly was 20 years ago, but I can't believe it's the same?:eek: I do believe that the experience did seem special though. I was at the Port Orleans back then, and it was special.
I just think that the service and overall experience should equate to the price you are paying to stay there. What's so deluxe about a deluxe resort except the room size? And I admit the rooms are a good size and the balconies are really nice. What do the deluxe resorts offer that the others don't to as Walt would say, "Plus the show". Where is the value for the dollar? Monorail is very nice, but there are other deluxe resorts on property without the monorail.
I've never been at a time when they are giving away free dining. That is a huge expense for us. I'd love to get some of that except the times it's offered we can't go.
Maybe we should start another thread on accommodations as this is for cast members.

I'll say it a second time, I have never had a bad experience with a cast member in all my trips there. At least with something the CM actually had some control over. I always go out of my way to treat them with respect and a smile also though, knowing that the guests they have to encounter aren't always deserving of their kindness. I want them to know that I care that they are putting forth an effort to make my experience a good (magical:D) one.
IMHO you should receive the same level of service no matter which Disney resort you stay at. So far it has been my experience that that holds true at WDW. In the few cases that I have run into resort issues over the last 15 years or so I have never noticed a difference in the level of service I have received regardless if I am at Pop or the Poly.

draybook

Low pay is not an excuse for bad service. When I was younger I worked fast food for minimum wage. Never, I repeat, never did I ever mouth off to a customer or even look at them funny. And trust me, I've had my ear chewed quite a few times by people being ed off because our ice cream machine didn't work or we weren't serving breakfast anymore.

Makes me appreciate my current job even that much more.

I will say that we have hardly ever run across a bad CM at WDW. Now we did have a pair of girls at WWoHP on the 18th that were more interested in talking to each other than serving us our butterbeer.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

I always feel the elderly people are the ones who make the magic. They love their jobs, extremely enthusiastic and nice to all the guests, even if they arrant behaving, they dont yell, but will probably give them a little talk and be just as nice to them and the ones who are misnahaving give them more respect.

Lucky

Low pay is not an excuse for bad service. When I was younger I worked fast food for minimum wage. Never, I repeat, never did I ever mouth off to a customer or even look at them funny. And trust me, I've had my ear chewed quite a few times by people being ed off because our ice cream machine didn't work or we weren't serving breakfast anymore.

Makes me appreciate my current job even that much more.

I will say that we have hardly ever run across a bad CM at WDW. Now we did have a pair of girls at WWoHP on the 18th that were more interested in talking to each other than serving us our butterbeer.
I've found most CMs at WDW (and Uni) are very friendly and professional. Sometimes they don't know their job well enough - I often get wrong or contradictory information. But nearly all of them try to be helpful, and most of them are.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom