Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Generator cut-over is not instantaneous. Normally it's a manual process to switch over too because of that dead-zone inbetween. Systems that need no-break use battery and/or kinetic systems to store energy to use until the generators are online and up to power levels to run the system. From what we saw from construction... Skyliner just has generators.

Exactly right.
I do wonder if the the drive motors and station motors which advance the detached gondolas are on the same power source. It looks like the power failed for the station motors but the main drive motor kept feeding cars into the station until a cm could hit the E stop.

HoldenC

Out of curiosity, how would they know from the ground what passengers are in what cabins to make that kind of decision?

Not trying to be snarky, I just don't understand how the system operates in an emergency. Is there a way for people inside the cabins to call or alert someone?
Each cabin has a call box. I'm sure this was how they determined which cabins to empty first of there was indeed an issue.

techgeek

I find that hard to believe. I've spent many years in the fire service and any truck company worth their salt would have the bucket up to the cabin in less than 5 minutes after their arrival. Subsequent trips for additional people would be even faster!

Disney being Disney, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the evac procedures are a lot more convoluted than just 'bucket up and climb in'. I'm looking at those lifts and I bet procedure is to have everyone in some sort of fall protection. I can see burning lots of time getting people that have never worn a harness in harnesses and clipped in for the ride down.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
One of my first responder source messaged me saying the system lost electrical power prior to the crash at the Riviera. The loss of power resulted in the cabs impacting.

I wonder what lost power? All the pictures of the stations show they have power. And the other lines were still running.

@Lift Blog , if there was a temporary loss of power, what could go wrong?

HoldenC

So now you’re debating that there even was an incident? There’s denial, and then there’s simply being an argumentative bell end....
Now you're just looking for a reason to jump on me (and unless you're a hot man, don't bother). I was simply pointing out that if there was a medical issue on board the cabins they chose to evacuate first, the call boxes were how they found out.

ItlngrlBella

F15DCC1D-D1C8-4473-8C6A-77400A511B67.jpeg

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Now you're just looking for a reason to jump on me (and unless you're a hot man, don't bother). I was simply pointing out that if there was a medical issue on board the cabins they chose to evacuate first, the call boxes were how they found out.
You said “issue.” Didn’t specify medical or otherwise. And you give what you get around these parts. If you don’t want to be treated as a prat....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom