Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

Casper Gutman

You'd think they would have gotten over the axe grind in the almost 3 years since this was revealed.
Hi! Not sure if you are up on current events, but Disney’s Skyliner system has failed spectacularly in its first week of operation and the evacuation procedure is currently being proven woefully inadequate.

Maybe these are growing pains for a great system, maybe their are fundamental problems with this mode of transportation being used at WDW. We’ll have a lot of time to figure that out.

But now is a really inopportune time to attack (with excessive vitriol) people who had doubts about the system or to relentlessly spin for the brand. Even the worst politician knows that sometimes things get so bad for your position you need to step back, be quiet, and develop your arguments for a more effective moment.

Rider

So it looks like incoming cabins from EPCOT into the rivera station collided with cabins already in the station. Cabins detach from the line and are motored through the station on wheels. So I guess somehow that movement was stopped in the station.. but the EPCOT line kept feeding them into the station. Or maybe somehow a stop happened in the magic window where a cabin was coming off the line and it didn't stop with the rest of the action?

Will be interesting to hear about it all when someone gets the real dirt.

EDIT: Looking again at videos.. I think it's the other way around. Cabins LEAVING rivera to epcot seemed to be the impact. So maybe what happened is the blue cabin failed to transition to the live line correctly.. and then the yellow cabins in the station fed into it.

The good news is, if that is the case, the impacts should have been at station speed.. not coming in at 11mph down to nothing.

Yes it looks like the blue cabin leaving the station somehow didn't leave and was hit from behind.

Edit: The Orlando Sentinel is also reporting it was a power failure, not a collision that caused the stop.

flynnibus

Premium Member
and the evacuation procedure is currently being proven woefully inadequate.

That is leaping ahead. We don't know why Disney chose to evac certain cabins and under what conditions. Clearly they didn't just start randomly. Maybe there were specific medical emergencies that necessitated those cabins be evac'd while Disney was waiting on the plan to resolution for the others.

coasterphil

I will say that I hope this system isn’t entirely staffed by college students. They should have some experienced people operating it. For what it is worth - and I don’t know this for a fact - a lot of the operators seemed very young to me. If so this to me is where I have issues with WDW. They take advantage of the college program and have kids running a lot of things at the parks. A system that is new for Disney should not be staffed with college students. I don’t care how great the training program is.

Ski resorts across the country somehow manage to operate with limited issues using 20 year olds. Plus many of those ski resort employees show up to work a little worse for wear than the average CP.

I was there this evening and thought nothing of the Epcot line being down as that has been the case on 3 of the 4 visits I’ve made since the lines opened. I don’t know what the issues are, but Disney has got to figure something out because it shouldn’t be this hard to operate a gondola. The fact that they had to start a full evac in their first operating week when most mountain resorts never have to do one outside their annual training certification might just be terribly unlucky, but it’s not a great look.

HoldenC

Hi! Not sure if you are up on current events, but Disney’s Skyliner system has failed spectacularly in its first week of operation and the evacuation procedure is currently being proven woefully inadequate.

Maybe these are growing pains for a great system, maybe their are fundamental problems with this mode of transportation being used at WDW. We’ll have a lot of time to figure that out.

But now is a really inopportune time to attack (with excessive vitriol) people who had doubts about the system or to relentlessly spin for the brand. Even the worst politician knows that sometimes things get so bad for your position you need to step back, be quiet, and develop your arguments for a more effective moment.
A few stops here and there isnt a failure, but nice job trying to paint a false narrative. Tonight's fiasco, yes. A huge set back but certainly nothing to cry foul over. Nothing was damaged, nobody was injured (unless there is a sue happy American onboard who will concoct some traumatic survival story), itll all be resolve, and the Skyliner will continue to be a much better system than the garbage monorails.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I (and a few thousand other guests) missed being stuck up there by two hours.

The line from CBR to Pop was moving in constant slow motion this afternoon without getting up to full speed. The bull wheel engine for the Pop line seemed to be squealing a bit.

The system seems to run better in the morning, and after long use, has more and more issues.

If it's running tomorrow... I'll still use it tho.

tonymu

Premium Member
One of my first responder source messaged me saying the system lost electrical power prior to the crash at the Riviera. The loss of power resulted in the cabs impacting.
I wonder if the power went out at Caribbean Beach and that stopped the rope but there was power at Riviera Station and that pushed the cabins on the rollers in the station into the cabin not moving already on the rope......

flynnibus

Premium Member
The Orlando Sentinel is also reporting it was a power failure, not a collision that caused the stop.

Yeah, but Disney's PR spin on this has been foul from the start. Can't take anything they say at face value right now.. it's Spin Control.

Regardless of the trigger of the incident... vehicles collided during guest operations (vs during maintenance, etc). By all common sense measures.. that's an accident.

The systems are designed to handle power failures... that process failed here in a pretty spectacular way. If you were riding in that blue cabin... no way you avoided being dumped into the opposite side of the gondola.

Edited: clarified 'guest' point

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom