Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I didn’t think for skiing the tram actually ever stopped, I thought it was continuous.

In theory it should be continuous but if there is a problem loading it can be slowed or stopped. We have seen a lot of stoppages of this system since guests started riding.

HoldenC

We could have played that before it opened.

I just hope no one is injured but clearly people are shaken up and this is going to be a horrible look for Disney and the new gondolas
I don't disagree there. They will have lots of bad press in the coming weeks. But they'll recover.

flynnibus

Premium Member
So it looks like incoming cabins from EPCOT into the rivera station collided with cabins already in the station. Cabins detach from the line and are motored through the station on wheels. So I guess somehow that movement was stopped in the station.. but the EPCOT line kept feeding them into the station. Or maybe somehow a stop happened in the magic window where a cabin was coming off the line and it didn't stop with the rest of the action?

Will be interesting to hear about it all when someone gets the real dirt.

EDIT: Looking again at videos.. I think it's the other way around. Cabins LEAVING rivera to epcot seemed to be the impact. So maybe what happened is the blue cabin failed to transition to the live line correctly.. and then the yellow cabins in the station fed into it.

The good news is, if that is the case, the impacts should have been at station speed.. not coming in at 11mph down to nothing.

Last edited:

smile

yikes - not good at all...
sympathies to the guests caught up in this at any level

If the response time for evacuations is 2+ hours, I'm out. Can you imagine if this was 2:00 in July?

heat/humidity...
with sway?
🤢

system's just gotta go thru may/june/july before committing to expansion

flynnibus

Premium Member
A monorail doesn't have a single point of failure like the Skyliner does

Yes it does.. the power rail.. which is turned off for safety reasons. Thus one shutdown takes down the whole loop. The 'moving the other monorails to stations' bit is a conditional option. Without power, they have to do it one by one to clear the line.

flyerjab

Rode today and it worked great to be honest. When leaving DHS around 9:30 tonight the DHS line was running but they weren’t letting anyone on. Did not know at the time that this was the reason why.

The Riviera station is odd in that it doesn’t have a dedicated loop for handicapped loading/unloading. And the line would slow down and speed up at times.

I will say that I hope this system isn’t entirely staffed by college students. They should have some experienced people operating it. For what it is worth - and I don’t know this for a fact - a lot of the operators seemed very young to me. If so this to me is where I have issues with WDW. They take advantage of the college program and have kids running a lot of things at the parks. A system that is new for Disney should not be staffed with college students. I don’t care how great the training program is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom