Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
So what's your point😕? It would disturb the wildlife, NOT attract them. They will come back later when the circus is over.
What's your point. You were trying to be clever/ funny about there being alligators in the water. It wasn't either 🙄

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Full disclosure: I've been a skier for 37 years and never once have had to be evacuated from a lift or gondola (nor even seen an evac) so I'm a bit biased. This incident does not deter me at all.
  • See my intro statement. These are rare occurrences. This was a fluke. These systems have proved to be some of the safest and most reliable in the world operating in MUCH harsher conditions than this.
  • While this is unfortunate, it's far from an extreme accident. No one is hurt. No one died. The core system is fundamentally safe.
  • If you fear an incident like this, you should basically never ride a roller coaster. Rip Ride Rocket and Smiler were mentioned above. Valraven at Cedar Point had a station bump this Summer. Steel Vengeance had a station bump opening weekend last Summer. Heck, Disneyland's Big Thunder threw a wheel and killed someone.
  • And for those touting how "cheap" this is and they should have bought a monorail, enjoy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_incidents_at_Walt_Disney_World#Monorail

That’s my concern. These are proven safe elsewhere but how many of these operate in Florida? It’s a lot different at a ski lodge where they aren’t necessarily loading strollers and wheelchairs etc to go to the top of the mountain and ski and if the power goes out there the heat inside or evac’ing maybe isn’t as big of a problem

While I applaud Disney for expanding their transportation methods, I never once thought this was the right choice. I think they just picked the cheapest new thing not exactly going through all the pros and cons.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Even after they discover the problem, fix the problem or have better training etc, this still doesn’t change the possibility of the lines ever stopping like this and requiring individual evacs from bucket firetrucks (and hopefully no one had to rappel?) that takes 3 hours or more.

I just don’t think disney thought this through enough in my opinion. They were too eager to offer some type of new transportation option to some of the new resorts (ex. A dvc at a moderate) and art and pop so they can price them out of value levels now. They chose one of the least expensive options and didn’t plan well for all scenarios. My opinion anyways.

I always wished Disney would look more at ground level transportation. More like big city or some airport trams

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The cabin being discussed had 7 adults and 2 children. I don't think there is adequate water for that many people. That number of people creates a heat and stuffiness too. I thought people were wrong to worry so much about a.c in the cabins but now i see the point. Thsi could really be dangerous. I hope Disney has a plan b. They shouldn't scrap the whole thing, but rather work on adequate cooling and more efficient evacuation. Things will go wrong and the cabins will stop but no one should get sick or even( God forbid) die bc of it. 3 hours in the fl heat without air can kill you. Not being an alarmist, I live here. Just stating a fact. I'm sure some will think I'm wrong. I wish I was. I hope I am.

I don't know if any current technology that would allow for 3 hours of ac operation on a system like this.

Surferboy567

This is super unfortunate... I have to say though some people on this forum really boggle my mind. They seem almost happy with this happening employing a “I told ya so” mentality. I’m not sure what is going on with the Disney fan mentality but this is starting to get ridiculous ever since Galaxy’s Edge I’ve noticed people actively root against Disney even during accidents like this. I’m happy (as of now, that I’m aware) their doesn’t appear to be any major injuries. I think under any normal circumstances an accident like this wouldn't be that big of a deal for the skyliner. This happening so close to opening is definitely not a good look. I hope everyone on those cabins is ok. People making an AC joke...shame on you.

Last edited:

CAV

This is super unfortunate... I have to say though some people on this forum really boggle my mind. They seem almost happy with this happening employing a “I told ya so” mentality. I’m not sure what is going on with the Disney fan mentality but this is starting to get ridiculous ever since Galaxy’s Edge I’ve noticed people actively root against Disney even during accidents like this. I’m happy (as of now, that I’m aware) their doesn’t appear to be any major injuries. I think under any normal circumstances an accident like this wouldn't be that big of a deal for the skyliner. This happening so close to opening is definitely not a good look. I hope everyone on those cabins is ok. People making an AC joke...shame on you.
I know some people have a sycophantic relationship with the Mouse, but make no mistake, they brought it on themselves. It the Mouse wants to charge for a perfect World, they dang well better provide it. To not do so, invites, if not begs, criticism.

ToTBellHop

Saw WESH also that Skyliner is closed
How long do we think it will be closed??? Seriously, no Jokes! This isn't fair! Why does WDW get all the bad press?!?!?!
It’ll be closed until they can figure out how to avoid such a long evac.

WDW is supposed to be the best theme park resort in the world. If you’re the best, you are held to a higher standard and your mistakes make national headlines. Same reason we hear about every Taylor Swift date and breakup.

Creathir

WDW is supposed to be the best theme park resort in the world. If you’re the best, you are held to a higher standard and your mistakes make national headlines. Same reason we hear about every Taylor Swift date and breakup.
This in my opinion is what the key takeaway will be here, improvements to the evacuation procedures.

I may have missed it, how did they evac the folks stuck above the canal near IG? In training they had someone harnessed up and crawling the cable to the cars, wasn’t sure if that actually got implemented.

MonorailCoral

Other than additional future evacuations which give the same rescuers more and more experience to streamline their process and therefore cut down their action times, what else is fundamentally left for WDW to "figure out" about the evacuation process?

Surferboy567

I know some people have a sycophantic relationship with the Mouse, but make no mistake, they brought it on themselves. It the Mouse wants to charge for a perfect World, they dang well better provide it. To not do so, invites, if not begs, criticism.

I never said this is a good thing. This is something that should never happen, the issue I take is when people think they can be funny and actively say something along the lines of see I told ya these things were death traps, or how is the A/C problem now? These are just frankly reactions that most people don’t have when an accident occurs. The #1 thing here that most people should be concerned with is making sure that everyone is ok, not that Disney fails again.

Oh, and its impossible to provide a perfect world.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom