Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

MiddKid

Does this change anyone's thoughts about riding on future visits? I know rides break down all the time...but this is kind of scary.

Full disclosure: I've been a skier for 37 years and never once have had to be evacuated from a lift or gondola (nor even seen an evac) so I'm a bit biased. This incident does not deter me at all.
  • See my intro statement. These are rare occurrences. This was a fluke. These systems have proved to be some of the safest and most reliable in the world operating in MUCH harsher conditions than this.
  • While this is unfortunate, it's far from an extreme accident. No one is hurt. No one died. The core system is fundamentally safe.
  • If you fear an incident like this, you should basically never ride a roller coaster. Rip Ride Rocket and Smiler were mentioned above. Valraven at Cedar Point had a station bump this Summer. Steel Vengeance had a station bump opening weekend last Summer. Heck, Disneyland's Big Thunder threw a wheel and killed someone.
  • And for those touting how "cheap" this is and they should have bought a monorail, enjoy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_incidents_at_Walt_Disney_World#Monorail

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Full disclosure: I've been a skier for 37 years and never once have had to be evacuated from a lift or gondola (nor even seen an evac) so I'm a bit biased. This incident does not deter me at all.
  • See my intro statement. These are rare occurrences. This was a fluke. These systems have proved to be some of the safest and most reliable in the world operating in MUCH harsher conditions than this.
  • While this is unfortunate, it's far from an extreme accident. No one is hurt. No one died. The core system is fundamentally safe.
  • If you fear an incident like this, you should basically never ride a roller coaster. Rip Ride Rocket and Smiler were mentioned above. Valraven at Cedar Point had a station bump this Summer. Steel Vengeance had a station bump opening weekend last Summer. Heck, Disneyland's Big Thunder threw a wheel and killed someone.
  • And for those touting how "cheap" this is and they should have bought a monorail, enjoy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_incidents_at_Walt_Disney_World#Monorail

So it doesn't deter you that this one had it happen within 6 days of operation?

Hawg G

You are taking some liberties with facts there. Facts that you certainly don't know yet.

I was surprised Big Thunder didn't lose more ridership, but DIsney is VERY good at covering up accidents. Just like the "no one was injured" tonight, yet a pic is going around of someone on a gurney.

The correct statement is "no one was injured tonight that Disney didn't get to sign a form immediately". That covers all bases.

This was a minor accident. But that is also part of the issue. A VERY minor accident caused a 3 hour stoppage that could have been catastrophic 6 hours earlier when it was 90+ and humid.

disney4life2008

You are taking some liberties with facts there. Facts that you certainly don't know yet.

I was surprised Big Thunder didn't lose more ridership, but DIsney is VERY good at covering up accidents. Just like the "no one was injured" tonight, yet a pic is going around of someone on a gurney.

The correct statement is "no one was injured tonight that Disney didn't get to sign a form immediately". That covers all bases.

This was a minor accident. But that is also part of the issue. A VERY minor accident caused a 3 hour stoppage that could have been catastrophic 6 hours earlier when it was 90+ and humid.

Well said. Ironically the temperature dropped tonight

Tanna Eros

That's them moving slowly? There was this local park when I was a kid, that was their fast.
(As a kid, my cousin and I got stuck on the local park 'skyline'- it was a fiberglass bench with a bar across it hanging on a wire- kids don't have a good sense of time, or danger, so we didn't care. We were over the lake, if we fell, we'd thought it would like a cannonball.
We were up there for so long, people starting throwing things at us, like pretzels and carny toys. We got free hotdogs and drinks in a take home glass beer mug when we landed. We thought we were stars.)

Orangeanna

Have to say, this could have been so much worse had it been daytime and hot. People have expressed that during longer pauses in route it gets quite warm. I'm a passholder too and I'd gladly take a hotel stay and dining plan(🤣) In leu of park hoppers but I'm pretty sure they don't ask. I'm not sure anything would compensate for heat stroke. Can Disney sue the builder or was this operator error? 3 hours stuck with babies, children or my mother in law(!!) would be awful. My son has autism and I'm not sure he'd do well stuck for that long but of course things happen and you have to deal. I'm still riding at first opportunity. Just an accident and you can't live life and avoid them. That's why they're called accidents.

Orangeanna

Local news is reporting guests seeing a woman evacuated from a gondola and placed on a stretcher. Also reported several unexpected starts and stops while first responders were attempting rescues, adding to the frustration. Also reporting people were too hot and not feeling well. They went through all the emergency water. Just the messenger, don't hate me. I guess we'll see.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom