Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

Tanna Eros

Here’s full speed.

Oh, my. Thank you!
Now I see why the park feels they would innovate travel. All this time, I thought they were poky things.
I can imagine the scare now when they collided. I imagined this 'bumpbumpbump" of slow cars impacting into each other.
I wish to ride them now, but I don't plan on going into any of the parks.

Tanna Eros

Try re-reading what I said. The job of PR is to control the message. They can answer truthfully and still be withholding the true extent of things. Their job is to shape the perception of things - That's what they are paid to do.

Disney was telling all the major news outlets it was just a shutdown due to power... meanwhile all those same outlets were posting the photos of the evacs underway and the cabins stacked up in the station.

Disney PR meanwhile...
View attachment 416403
That's an oldie! Today's hepcats today all use the actor Paul Ritter in the role of Anatoly Dyatlov from "Chernobyl".

Orangeanna

The cabin being discussed had 7 adults and 2 children. I don't think there is adequate water for that many people. That number of people creates a heat and stuffiness too. I thought people were wrong to worry so much about a.c in the cabins but now i see the point. Thsi could really be dangerous. I hope Disney has a plan b. They shouldn't scrap the whole thing, but rather work on adequate cooling and more efficient evacuation. Things will go wrong and the cabins will stop but no one should get sick or even( God forbid) die bc of it. 3 hours in the fl heat without air can kill you. Not being an alarmist, I live here. Just stating a fact. I'm sure some will think I'm wrong. I wish I was. I hope I am.

TalkingHead

Overall it was quite convenient and MUCH more efficient that monorails.

Faint praise since the monorails break down on a regular basis.

I guess the Skyliner only goes 101 once a week, so that’s an improvement.

Welcome to the transportation systems at the world’s premier vacation destination!

TalkingHead

A few stops here and there isnt a failure, but nice job trying to paint a false narrative. Tonight's fiasco, yes. A huge set back but certainly nothing to cry foul over. Nothing was damaged, nobody was injured (unless there is a sue happy American onboard who will concoct some traumatic survival story), itll all be resolve, and the Skyliner will continue to be a much better system than the garbage monorails.

Give it a rest and, in CM parlance, have a magical night!

sndral

Does this change anyone's thoughts about riding on future visits? I know rides break down all the time...but this is kind of scary.
Yep, I’ll take a potty break before I get on in one of the convenient nearby restrooms, and I’ll bring a bottle of water & be sure my cell phone is fully charged.
What I’m curious about is how long did it take to get the teal/blue problem gondola off the line and onto the side rail - it seems once they got it out of the way it should have been fairly quick to slowly roll the rest of the cabins through to evacuate. Why did it take 3 hours and a couple of very slow bucket truck evacuations before they finished the evac by restarting the system. I’m wondering if some questionable decision making happened. Get teal/blue cabin moved in under half an hour, then another half an hour to unload everyone, not so bad. Dawdling around, deciding what to do, calling a full on evac w/ fire trucks etc. leading to dramatic photos of same and possibly tripling the time people were stuck is a very bad look and I’m wondering if different decisions could have been made.

roj2323

I’m of the opinion that poop happens. Sure it sucks but it’s not like they planned to trap you in the box for 3 hours. I just assume take the cold water they inevitably provide once you are on the ground and just chalk it up as a bad day. Honestly I probably wouldn’t take their compensation but then again I wouldn’t be signing anything either.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yep, I’ll take a potty break before I get on in one of the convenient nearby restrooms, and I’ll bring a bottle of water & be sure my cell phone is fully charged.
What I’m curious about is how long did it take to get the teal/blue problem gondola off the line and onto the side rail - it seems once they got it out of the way it should have been fairly quick to slowly roll the rest of the cabins through to evacuate. Why did it take 3 hours and a couple of very slow bucket truck evacuations before they finished the evac by restarting the system. I’m wondering if some questionable decision making happened. Get teal/blue cabin moved in under half an hour, then another half an hour to unload everyone, not so bad. Dawdling around, deciding what to do, calling a full on evac w/ fire trucks etc. leading to dramatic photos of same and possibly tripling the time people were stuck is a very bad look and I’m wondering if different decisions could have been made.

Doing anything of this type does not happen wuickly... as you don’t want to flip flop, etc. after the incident happened, this isnt stuff your front line CMs undo... so you have to get your engineering people onsite. That takes time... then they have to evaluate the situation... then they have to act on it. Then you have to work to undo the mess, etc. much of that cant be rushed.

The question for here would be is whats the threshold to allow evacs to start... and if that was called, and properly or not. Or simply put... how did their estimation process work out.

Communicore

Hearing rumblings that FastPasses and bottle water were offered as compensation and some “Drunkytown” types who made it down were chanting “Platinum Passes!” as if their in a sporting event.

Hawg G

Now were back to mass death because of no a/c...

How you people function outside bewilders me,,.

So, you think having a thousands of people trapped in small boxes in a heat index near 100 this afternoon for THREE HOURS wouldn’t have resulted in a massive injuries and likely some deaths?

States are passing laws that make it OK for you to smash out a window if you see a dog in a car when it’s 90.

flynnibus

Premium Member
So, you think having a thousands of people trapped in small boxes in a heat index near 100 this afternoon for THREE HOURS wouldn’t have resulted in a massive injuries and likely some deaths?

States are passing laws that make it OK for you to smash out a window if you see a dog in a car when it’s 90.

The fact you draw that comparison shows why its futile to continue to argue this. Its nothing like that. This is a shaded, ventilated space where you are not in the sun.

People survive outside without ac.

Hawg G

The fact you draw that comparison shows why its futile to continue to argue this. Its nothing like that. This is a shaded, ventilated space where you are not in the sun.

People survive outside without ac.

Babies and old folks trapped in a poorly ventilated hot box in direct sun for 3 hours may not survive. If Disney isn’t having an emergency meeting tomorrow about whole team should be fired.

Shade and ventilation get eliminated when you are hanging in the sun. Is your car nice and comfy when you get in it after it’s been sitting in the sun? Does leaving you windows down make it incredibly MORE comfy if the car bakes for 3 hours?

No.

You don’t understand convection vs conduction heat, and airflow. Your lack of knowledge of physics makes your argument baseless, regardless of how smart you think you are.

Hawg G

There is a big difference between a sealed up car roasting in a parking lot and the gondola's. You would be benefited from a little bit of research before posting...

The laws cover dogs in cars with the windows rolled down some.

You should do a bit of research yourself.

And just how much difference do think there is between a gondola with 8 humans and a few square feet of screens in it hanging in the sun with no wind, and a car with a small dog sitting with the windows rolled down an inch?

You seem to be quite knowledgeable. I’d love to hear your answer.

Lilofan

I wonder what type of compensation Disney could possibly give these poor guests for going through this. Can you imagine only have a few nights and having your whole night ruined by being stuck in the air and being evacuated.
Local news is reporting a guest has been given gift cards and park hopper passes for the incident. How about a Minnie Van ride straight to their hotel so they don't have to wait and be cramped into a full bus? Ambulance chasers will probably be in touch with the guest in the morning.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom