Disney should go after Hunger Games

Xethos

Am I the only one who has never heard of this prior to the commercials recently? I read books, the newspaper, I'm on the internet often, but I have never come across this book, or any mention of it ever. Is it a certain generation that is into it? Or more a certain part of the world it is more popular?

Sweet Melissa

Am I the only one who has never heard of this prior to the commercials recently? I read books, the newspaper, I'm on the internet often, but I have never come across this book, or any mention of it ever. Is it a certain generation that is into it? Or more a certain part of the world it is more popular?

It's a Young Adult series. It's marketed toward teens. Most of the people I know who are in to it are teenagers or young women.

Villains0501

What exactly was wrong with casting Mandy Moore?

Oh, please don't get me wrong. I have nothing against Mandy Moore, per say. It's the principle of the thing that annoys me. I've always found that casting unknown actresses as the Disney princesses helps to maintain a level of anonymity in the overall performance of the character. It preserves the fantasy and magic of the piece without constantly reminding the audience of the fact that it's only a movie they're watching. I personally felt that Mandy Moore's voice was far too recognizable. When I hear Rapunzel's voice I don't think, "Oh, that's Rapunzel", I think, "Oh, that's Mandy Moore as Rapunzel".

On a side note, I did feel her voice in this particular instance wasn't whimsical enough. Outside of the context of this movie, she has a great voice, I'm assuming. In this movie, however, I felt her voice had too much of a 'pop' sound and not enough of a 'show tune/classical' sound.

Tigger1988

Oh, please don't get me wrong. I have nothing against Mandy Moore, per say. It's the principle of the thing that annoys me. I've always found that casting unknown actresses as the Disney princesses helps to maintain a level of anonymity in the overall performance of the character. It preserves the fantasy and magic of the piece without constantly reminding the audience of the fact that it's only a movie they're watching. I personally felt that Mandy Moore's voice was far too recognizable. When I hear Rapunzel's voice I don't think, "Oh, that's Rapunzel", I think, "Oh, that's Mandy Moore as Rapunzel".

On a side note, I did feel her voice in this particular instance wasn't whimsical enough. Outside of the context of this movie, she has a great voice, I'm assuming. In this movie, however, I felt her voice had too much of a 'pop' sound and not enough of a 'show tune/classical' sound.

Most people I know (who are aware of Moore and her music) had no idea it was her until I told them. She had pretty much faded into obscurity before the film came out.

It's gotten to the point that when one of her songs comes on my iPod I have a hard time NOT seeing Rapunzel singing it.

Different strokes...

DisneyWall-E

"Tangled" and "Princess and the Frog" are on that list because they are not, and should never be, considered classic Disney films. They may follow the typical Disney Princess formula, albeit with a few twists and tangles here and there--pun intended--with "Tangled" being the more prevalent example, but both films lack the depth and quality of most other Disney fairy tales. Neither of the two films possess an exceptional score, and both films lack a compelling antagonist--unlike, say, Sleeping Beauty's Maleficent or Little Mermaid's Ursula. And don't even get me started on Disney's detestable casting decision for Rapunzel. Mandy Moore? I mean, come on!

Sorry for the ranting. I was just trying to lend some support to AswaySuller's previous point. Carry on!

All your opinion. Which I whole heartedly disagree with. But then again, thats my opinion.

rkelly42

Hunger Games is a terrible idea for disney, makes no sense at all. The subject matter is wrong and they will take a beating for trying to promote an attraction based on it.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
They could TONS of stuff with that material. 3rd biggest opening weekend of all time, just behind Dark Knight and Harry Potter. It's a great all around story. Lots of potential there.

No. NO. NO!

The title should be changed to "Disney should go after more Disney movies" not "Disney should go after Harry Potter, American Idol, Avatar"

Geez no. If they want some good movies in their parks. How about make some good movies of their OWN for a change!

-WondersOfLife

The last original pavilion. :king:

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.

By the time I'm old and you're dead, the cartoons YOU knew as a child will just be considered dust in the wind to teens in about 40 or 50 years. And Tangled, Toy Story, ect. will all be "Classics".

Can't face facts? Sorry :)

-WondersOfLife

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!

Unknown in what way?

Anika Noni Rose (Tiana) had a Tony Award, Judy Kuhn (Pocahontas) was a three-time nominee, Lea Salonga (singing voices of Jasmine and Mulan) had a Tony Award, and Jodi Benson (Ariel) has a Tony nomination. They're hardly "unknown" actresses.

captainkidd

Original Poster
Wow, this has taken on a life of it's own.

Anyways, like I said, I was being sarcastic. I loved the movie and the books were great, but this isn't Disney material. I was poking fun at the fact that I think Disney seems to just go after commercial success in the parks lately as opposed to doing things on their own. Of course, I guess they don't have much of a choice as their own live action films lately have been disasters.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Never heard of the girl... and even after reading your posts about her and looking up her songs on iTunes.. I can't say I've ever heard any of her songs.

Ironically.. on itunes 4 of her 5 most popular songs are all from the tangled soundtrack.

I think having been out of the music spotlight for almost 8 years.. and being a very specific pop genre before.. I don't think she was too recognizable to be cast like this.

Villains0501

By the time I'm old and you're dead, the cartoons YOU knew as a child will just be considered dust in the wind to teens in about 40 or 50 years. And Tangled, Toy Story, ect. will all be "Classics".

Can't face facts? Sorry :)

-WondersOfLife

To put this into perspective, the cartoons of my childhood (true classics, like "Beauty", "Mermaid," Lion King", etc.) will have faded in 40-50 years in the same way that the classics that were made upwards of 70 years ago ("Snow White", "Dumbo", "Cinderella", etc.) have faded in recent time. Oh wait, they haven't. Cinderella STILL has her castle and Snow White's dwarfs STILL continue to occupy the mines of Fantasyland--and now in an all-new attraction! Have no fears, the Disney films, be they from the Golden Age of Hollywood or the Disney Renaissance, will continue to spell-bind young audiences for ages to come, and they will not need inferior motion pictures, like "Tangled", to take their well-deserved places in the Disney canon.

Unknown in what way?

Anika Noni Rose (Tiana) had a Tony Award, Judy Kuhn (Pocahontas) was a three-time nominee, Lea Salonga (singing voices of Jasmine and Mulan) had a Tony Award, and Jodi Benson (Ariel) has a Tony nomination. They're hardly "unknown" actresses.

I knew this was going to come up. As a HUGE musical theater fan, all of these talented women are of course very familiar to me. To most of America, however, Judy Kuhn, Paige O'Hara, and Jodi Benson are not household names and are not widely recognizable apart from their work with Disney. When telling someone about Lea Salonga, for instance, I don't start out by introducing her as the original Kim in 'Miss Saigon'. Without a doubt, that show made her career, but it is her work with Disney that people might be most familiar with. This is very different from Mandy Moore who had a very successful recording career before "Tangled" and became a household name with "A Walk to Remember", at least among teenagers. Even Anika Noni Rose hasn't yet acheived Mandy Moore's level of fame. After all, apart from lending her voice to 'Princess' her biggest film role to date has been in 'Dreamgirls', which, let's face it, was Jennifer Hudson's movie.

Tigger1988

I think having been out of the music spotlight for almost 8 years.. and being a very specific pop genre before.. I don't think she was too recognizable to be cast like this.

This pretty much sums up my point. If the film were made 10 years earlier she MAY have been a distraction to the audience (unlikely, even then she wasn't a massive star).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom