Disney should go after Hunger Games

Villains0501

Just because they've been put on blue-ray doesn't mean people will watch them. Aside from that, you can't say that Tangled, Princess and the Frog or Toy Story can't be classics in 20 years. Just saying. Get used to changes. Otherwise Disney itself will fade.

Like I always say, Disney & Movies are like religion. If it doesn't change with the new era, it'll fade.

-WondersOfLife

The last original pavilion :king:

Disney is a ruthless, greedy, money-grubbing company, and that's why I love it. Of course they only bother re-releasing films that they know will sell. You haven't seen them putting out a Blu-ray edition of "Hunchback" or "Hercules", two movies that while good, did not perform so well at the box office. To be honest, I'm surprised that they're putting "Treasure Planet" on Blu-ray later this year, seeing as that movie was also a box office bomb. Disney re-releases movies like "Snow White" because they are popular, cherished, and of a rare cinematic quality that its recent films just have not been able to match. "Toy Story" will be a classic. I can guarantee you that. It began during the Disney Renaissance and its recent installments have proved to be of the same quality level as the first. "Tangled" and "Princess", however, I just cannot see becoming classics. Perhaps if there were less princesses in the Disney canon, they would stand a chance, but the fact of the matter is there are already so many wonderful Disney movies that these two mediocre films are not needed and, frankly, not wanted, by me at least.

I love Disney.

I love the Hunger Games.

I WOULD NOT like them together. The topic of the Hunger Games is just too mature and gristly for Disney.

Besides, I much prefer Disney stick to their own franchises. I don't want any Marvel in the parks, and I don't want any Avatar in the parks. Disney didn't create them, I don't want them there. For some reason I have no issue with Indiana Jones/Star Wars, but they just seem more Disney than Avatar and Marvel. But that's just IMO.

Uncle Lupe

Hunger Games no.

Wild Things yes.

not these wild things.

viewers-voice-movie-mania-where-the-wild-things-are-the-review-e9421100.jpg

Walt Disney1955

Way too many movies that Disney hasn't touched that they can do something about. I mean movies of their OWN.

Cinderella, Mary Poppins, Lady and the Tramp, Sleeping Beauty, Jungle Book, Robin Hood and Bambi are examples of movies that we now have the luxury of saying are pretty much all classics that do NOT have any representation in the parks. Unless you want to count the castle walkthrough in Disneyland none of those movies have anything in the parks at all.

Jungle Book would fit perfectly in Animal Kingdom in some way shape or form.

Cinderella is a movie where I can't comprehend how there isn't a ride that claims it. Would make a good dark ride. So would Sleeping Beauty.

Mary Poppins could have a dark ride at least as good as Peter Pan

Lady and the Tramp? A little trickier but possible.

Bambi? Really tricky but certainly room in the Animal Kingdom.

Robin Hood is a good example.

Lastly one of the most popular movies of all-time only has a show in Animal Kingdom - Lion King. Don't get me wrong, the show is very good but the possibilities are endless on what kind of ride they could have with that.

Not to forget, Pirates of the Caribbean. Turning out to be one of the most popular franchises ever. I am not sure how good Pirate's Lair is in Disneyland but there could easily be something in WDW with that franchise. It is wildly popular and Jack Sparrow's character is going to be famous forever (thanks Johnny Depp). Why they don't do more with that is beyond me. We all love the original ride, but an entire LAND in DHS would be unbelievable and could be comparable to Potter.

So we don't need Hunger Games. Or Avatar. Right now no one knows how popular Hunger Games will be. Let's wait. Avatar will probably stick around for quite some time. It is the biggest box office draw of all-time. But I still think there are so many great Disney movies untapped that should go first.

bellissimo

This whole thread is comical. Even if Disney wanted The Hunger Games, I’m sure author Suzanne Collins and direction Gary Ross would be heavily opposed to such. Ross was asked if THG would ever be released in 3D and said no, because it contradicted some of the themes the series was fighting against. With that in mind, I think a theme park attraction would be entirely out of the question in both their minds. :shrug:

captainkidd

Original Poster
Right now no one knows how popular Hunger Games will be. Let's wait. Avatar will probably stick around for quite some time. It is the biggest box office draw of all-time.

I'd say it's the other way around. Avatar is the biggest money maker of all time thanks to Imax and 3D. Adjusted for inflation (again, including 3D and Imax), it's #14.

Movies that come from books tend to stay relevant much longer (Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings). I could be wrong, but I really think Avatar was a one-time fluke. I don't see the sequels being nearly as successful, whereas The Hunger Games will probably continue to make more money, as the books get better as they go on.

J03Y

Just because they've been put on blue-ray doesn't mean people will watch them. Aside from that, you can't say that Tangled, Princess and the Frog or Toy Story can't be classics in 20 years. Just saying. Get used to changes. Otherwise Disney itself will fade.

Like I always say, Disney & Movies are like religion. If it doesn't change with the new era, it'll fade.

-WondersOfLife

The last original pavilion :king:

UMM...

the only reason those movies are even in diamond editions for anything is because people still watch them. just because they were released a century ago doesn't make the movies irrelevant. it just makes them old. when did those two ever equate?

captainkidd

Original Poster
Avatar has an entire fantastical world that can be exploited outside the militaristic plot of the film. The Hunger Games takes place in the woods. No magic. No fantastical creatures. No magical plants. There's nothing in the Hunger Games that Disney can exploit.

You clearly have not read the books.

Dukeblue1227

I'd say it's the other way around. Avatar is the biggest money maker of all time thanks to Imax and 3D. Adjusted for inflation (again, including 3D and Imax), it's #14.

Movies that come from books tend to stay relevant much longer (Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings). I could be wrong, but I really think Avatar was a one-time fluke. I don't see the sequels being nearly as successful, whereas The Hunger Games will probably continue to make more money, as the books get better as they go on.

I thought the first book was far better than the last two.

I thought the second book was painfully slow for the first half of it... and I thought the third book was just... meh.

And according to amazon.com ratings... it seems like that's a fairly common thought.

captainkidd

Original Poster
I thought the first book was far better than the last two.

I thought the second book was painfully slow for the first half of it... and I thought the third book was just... meh.

And according to amazon.com ratings... it seems like that's a fairly common thought.

I thought the 2nd book was the best. People seem very split on the last book. Personally, I didn't care for it as much as the first 2. But die-hards seem to love it and seem to be most looking forward to that movie.

All kind of a moot point anyway. The Hunger Games will never see the light of a theme park.

I love the Hunger Games book series, and I loved the film.

But it is NOT Disney. End of story. It fits nowhere in the parks - it fits nowhere in the brand.

Personally, I thought it was a stretch when they made the movie PG and I was kind of disappointed - since the books are much more gruesome and go into a lot more detail than was touched upon in the movie.

The Hunger Games is a great franchise - but I really don't think there's any place for it, in any theme park, anywhere.

DisneyFan 2000

You win some, you lose some. That's the nature of the business. Need I remind you, also, that the likes of Fantasia, Pinnochio, Sleeping Beauty among others were at first heralded "flops". I stand by my claim, make 'em home made, it's the best way to go.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom