Disney should go after Hunger Games

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Disney is a ruthless, greedy, money-grubbing company, and that's why I love it. Of course they only bother re-releasing films that they know will sell. You haven't seen them putting out a Blu-ray edition of "Hunchback" or "Hercules", two movies that while good, did not perform so well at the box office. To be honest, I'm surprised that they're putting "Treasure Planet" on Blu-ray later this year, seeing as that movie was also a box office bomb. Disney re-releases movies like "Snow White" because they are popular, cherished, and of a rare cinematic quality that its recent films just have not been able to match. "Toy Story" will be a classic. I can guarantee you that. It began during the Disney Renaissance and its recent installments have proved to be of the same quality level as the first. "Tangled" and "Princess", however, I just cannot see becoming classics. Perhaps if there were less princesses in the Disney canon, they would stand a chance, but the fact of the matter is there are already so many wonderful Disney movies that these two mediocre films are not needed and, frankly, not wanted, by me at least.

Fair enough. But I do think Tangled will most likely become a "classic" in the future.

-WondersOfLife

The last original pavilion. :king:

J03Y

Disney is a ruthless, greedy, money-grubbing company, and that's why I love it. Of course they only bother re-releasing films that they know will sell. You haven't seen them putting out a Blu-ray edition of "Hunchback" or "Hercules", two movies that while good, did not perform so well at the box office. To be honest, I'm surprised that they're putting "Treasure Planet" on Blu-ray later this year, seeing as that movie was also a box office bomb. Disney re-releases movies like "Snow White" because they are popular, cherished, and of a rare cinematic quality that its recent films just have not been able to match. "Toy Story" will be a classic. I can guarantee you that. It began during the Disney Renaissance and its recent installments have proved to be of the same quality level as the first. "Tangled" and "Princess", however, I just cannot see becoming classics. Perhaps if there were less princesses in the Disney canon, they would stand a chance, but the fact of the matter is there are already so many wonderful Disney movies that these two mediocre films are not needed and, frankly, not wanted, by me at least.

yeah, but Tangled is different. i definitely see Tangled being considered a Disney classic 20 years from now.

i do agree with Princess and the Frog. that movie is decent at best. but i don't think Princess Tiana will be remembered as much as the other princesses

JohnLocke

Three thoughts about things discussed in this thread:

1. I know there's almost always some complaints coming from the Disney Purists whenever someone brings up the idea of Disney acquiring some outside property instead of developing something they already have in house, and believe me, I'd love to see some more attractions based on classic characters, but you just have to realize it's not our shunning of things Disney, it's just our love of Disney Imagineering and what they can do with our favorite properties to make them into an excellent experience. Disney sort of set themselves up for this with the opening of MGM over 20 years ago.

2. It is probably crazy, but I've also thought about the Hunger Games as a possible Disney attraction. I know many have taken to the logline that's constantly repeated of kids killing kids, but there's simply so much more too it than that, and with what happens in the arena, it seems like there are many places that the Imagineers could go. I'm going to try to stay as spoiler free as possible, but if you want to know absolutely nothing about Catching Fire, skip to the next bolded word: I think going with the events of the second book would be best, you avoid the kids killing kids angle, more or less, read the book or see the movie for a better explanation, and there are some twists that seem like they would make for a very good theme park ride.

The dystopian nature of the series has also been used as a mark against a theme park adaptation, but I think two good examples of how this can be dealt with are the Terminator 2 attraction in UFS and the original Alien Encounter in MK. If Disney would like to try to reband DHS as more of the "Teen" park, a little tongue in cheek dark satirical humor and a scary/thrilling attraction could make for a bit of good fun. Also, the case can be made that Avatar and Star Wars are very dystopian as well, it's not like we have to even set foot in one of the districts really for a Hunger Games attraction, starting right smack dab in the Capital seems like it would be the best course of action if an attraction were to happen.

3. The "Classics" status of Tangled and Princess and the Frog. I have to say I'd label both as classics, though I think I'd put Princess and the Frog as a lesser classic because while Randy Newman's music is fairly good in parts, it's just not that time transcending, catchy music that Menken and Ashman were putting in their movies in the early 90s. While I don't put as much stock into Box Office equaling classic, both had nice totals with good multipliers, though Tangled handily won the box office battle between the 2.

jakeman

I think the guest would be better behaved if Rope Drop in the morning contained a Hunger Games between two or three kids. :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom