• Castle Show

Votes: 65 35.7%
  • Music

Votes: 12 6.6%
  • Other

Votes: 67 36.8%

• Total voters

fosse76

The only problem with that is it was filmed in Pittsburgh. ;)
It was also filmed in New York, and unless you don't know what those buildings and the Brooklyn Brodge look like, they are most certainly identifiable in several scenes...not to mention the bridge being blocked by the army (or whatever they are supposed to be, because it looks like the police at the end of the film) is the Queensboro Bridge (which connects Manhattan and Queens).

WDWFigment

It was also filmed in New York, and unless you don't know what those buildings and the Brooklyn Brodge look like, they are most certainly identifiable in several scenes...not to mention the bridge being blocked by the army (or whatever they are supposed to be, because it looks like the police at the end of the film) is the Queensboro Bridge (which connects Manhattan and Queens).

I think it all depends upon your familiarity with the cities. We went to school just outside of Chicago and visit there a lot, and several locales in TDK were very recognizable as Chicago. To me, TDKR felt more generic as it meshed together several cities. Of course, those familiar with New York are likely to disagree.

In general, I think a lot of people judge TDKR by a different standard than The Avengers or any non-Nolan superhero movie. People gladly suspend disbelief for most other superhero movies because, well, that's what you have to do for the concept to work. Whereas with TDKR, it seems like every aspect of the film has been hyper-analyzed as drama. I think it's fair to place it in the drama genre, but let's not forget that it is, in fact, still a superhero movie. I think the trilogy transcends the superhero genre, and I think it's fairly telling about the quality of all three films that people are willing to critique them as they would dramas.

It's important to judge every movie on its own terms and against its genre. The only thing that precludes people from enjoying, say, both The Expendables 2 and The Seventh Seal is their mindsets (or personal preferences).

I don't think TDKR was a perfect movie, but I didn't find its pacing poor or that it overstayed its welcome. Overall, for what it was, I thought it was very good.

fosse76

I think it all depends upon your familiarity with the cities. We went to school just outside of Chicago and visit there a lot, and several locales in TDK were very recognizable as Chicago. To me, TDKR felt more generic as it meshed together several cities. Of course, those familiar with New York are likely to disagree.

The Empire State Building, Chrysler Building and Brooklyn Bridge are very iconic architectual structures that are representative of New York and are universally recognized as purely New York (much like Sears Tower is to Chicago, Big Ben to London, Eiffel Tower to Paris, Golden Gate Bridge to San Francisco, etc.). The fact that those buildings are so obviously visible in a few scenes establishes Gotham City as New York, whereas there were no such establishing shots in the first two films (yes, anyone from Chicago who knows the Loop and Lower Wacker Drive would easily identify the location as Chicago, but the average moviegoer would not notice). It's the presence of those three iconic structures that annoyed me. Gotham shouldn't be a specific city...in the first film it clearly is based on New York without being New York.

In general, I think a lot of people judge TDKR by a different standard than The Avengers or any non-Nolan superhero movie. People gladly suspend disbelief for most other superhero movies because, well, that's what you have to do for the concept to work. Whereas with TDKR, it seems like every aspect of the film has been hyper-analyzed as drama. I think it's fair to place it in the drama genre, but let's not forget that it is, in fact, still a superhero movie. I think the trilogy transcends the superhero genre, and I think it's fairly telling about the quality of all three films that people are willing to critique them as they would dramas.
What makes The Avengers a better film is that it isn't a film about heroes who take themselves so seriously. Superpowers aside, they talk and act like normal people, and are therefore more believable. Everyone in the Batman films seem exactly people you would find in a drama, completely unrelatable and so serious about their existence that they aren't anyone you'd want to know personally.

I don't think TDKR was a perfect movie, but I didn't find its pacing poor or that it overstayed its welcome. Overall, for what it was, I thought it was very good.
It was way too long, with the opening sequence and those orphanage scenes bearing the brunt of tedium.

jensenrick

What makes The Avengers a better film is that it isn't a film about heroes who take themselves so seriously. Superpowers aside, they talk and act like normal people, and are therefore more believable. Everyone in the Batman films seem exactly people you would find in a drama, completely unrelatable and so serious about their existence that they aren't anyone you'd want to know personally.

It was way too long, with the opening sequence and those orphanage scenes bearing the brunt of tedium.

So True, on both statements.

Not to mention, in Batman movies (and not just the latest ones) most of the focus is always on the villains. Everyone wants to see who will play the Joker or the Catwoman or whoever- Batman is almost second banana in his own movies.

cheezbat

So True, on both statements.

Not to mention, in Batman movies (and not just the latest ones) most of the focus is always on the villains. Everyone wants to see who will play the Joker or the Catwoman or whoever- Batman is almost second banana in his own movies.

And that's really because Batman has THE BEST rogues gallery of any super hero.

AngieYaz

A filling station for reusable resort mugs and a McDonalds fry cart themed like a market stall from Booty and the Beast.

I can just imagine it now.

ANGIE
Hi girls. I got you a snack.

CLAUDIA
What are these golden strips?

ANGIE
They're called fries, Claudia. Here.
(hands her, Paula and Laura, some containers of fries)
Have some. It's an example of fast food from the future.

PeterAlt

Castle will get demolished and an exact replica but 25 feet taller than the Shanghai Disneyland castle will be built at the exact same spot in its place!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom