News Disney Riviera Resort announced

Bobb_o

but Riviera doesn't fit the Caribbean Beach Resort next door at all...they are entirely different themes, from different parts of the world...they are about as related at Polynesian Village and the Grand Floridian....except the Riviera theme is not discernable or even interesting...
It just smacks of laziness and lack of creative vision....
Why not let is be an extension of the Caribbean Beach theme...it would make more sense....and they would be able to give it more thematic style...though that is the theme of Sapphire Falls down the road...

If this was a response to my post I'm saying it fits better than the Asian or Persian concept. That being said, it's not like Disney had to go back to an old idea and could have come up with something new.

ABQ

Well if they are referring to the Mexcian Riviera (blame the Love Boat) for that term, it's not half way around the world from the Caribbean to the west coast of Mexico. Many of the hotels there are rather meh in design.

hpc_1444074071.jpg

ryguy

To be fair, we only have a name and one piece of art. We don't really know how themed or unthemed it will really be.
Based on the last few years of renovations to Disney hotels I would say it will be more generic and less themed. Just seems like that's the trend right now with Disney resorts. But your right, we should wait and see what the final plans look like.

Sir_Cliff

Well if they are referring to the Mexcian Riviera (blame the Love Boat) for that term, it's not half way around the world from the Caribbean to the west coast of Mexico. Many of the hotels there are rather meh in design.
I think the fact that people can pick various tourist developments along a coastline from France to Mexico and speculate that this could be the theme Disney is going for demonstrates how incredibly bland both the hotel theme and the architecture really is. The architecture doesn't evoke anything other than a hotel and "Riviera" doesn't really evoke anything beyond an area near a coastline where there are lots of hotels.

Bocabear

hpc_1444074071.jpg
And isn't that sort of what Coronado Springs is thematically??
At least they didn't name it Caribbean Springs (yet) ...seems like Disney can't come up with an original name for anything that doesn't have "Springs" in it...
Just wait until they open Star Wars Springs resort....

ABQ

I think the fact that people can pick various tourist developments along a coastline from France to Mexico and speculate that this could be the theme Disney is going for demonstrates how incredibly bland both the hotel theme and the architecture really is. The architecture doesn't evoke anything other than a hotel and "Riviera" doesn't really evoke anything beyond an area near a coastline where there are lots of hotels.
I was not trying to speculate on what they were going for, I was merely trying to point out there are other locations with the Riviera name beyond France, never mind Italy which I apparently missed being mentioned.

edited

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't think they really wanted to market or bring much attention to this project yet, they mentioned it because it is necessary since it relates to the gondola project. But at this point they don't want to take away from copper creek sales.

Also.. have you seen the aulani pool.
This is 100% true. If it wasn't a stop on the gondolas I doubt they would have even mentioned it at D23. DVC goes out of their way to make sure they have more than the majority of the points sold on their current project before marketing a new one. Remember that BLT was half built before they would even acknowledge it existed. If they wanted to "wow" people with concept art they would have had multiple pictures showing the pool, rooms, lobby, etc. similar to how they highlighted the new Star Wars resort or the current marketing blitz for Copper Creek.

People need to just relax. The resort will have a theme which will be revealed when we get closer to when they are ready to start selling points. Just to end all debate, I've heard from a reliable source that this definitely is not a moderate DVC. It's going to be sold as a deluxe DVC resort independent of CBR which is why it has a completely different name and look. They are going out of their way to differentiate it from CBR. I still wonder if they will have a counter service food option on site or if they will have to refer people to CBR. Kinda hard to market this as completely independent of CBR if that's the case. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Next Big Thing

The theme is ambiguous... the concept boring, and none of the DVC pools are as nice as what they have built at resorts like Cabana Bay... which is a shame. they can and should do better.
Uhmmm.... Aulani would heavily disagree with you. As would Kidani, both pools at Saratoga, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Grand Californian, etc, etc.

I've stayed at CBBR multiple times and it doesn't compare to most Disney pools at all... the only leg up it has is having a uber short lazy river that they don't even supply free tubes for. Aulani has a lazy river and so, so much more.

Lets Respect

It looks a lot like the Four Seasons to me.

Which according to the Four Seasons was intended to be "Lakeside Spanish Revival architecture reflecting Florida’s golden age"

Bocabear

Uhmmm.... Aulani would heavily disagree with you. As would Kidani, both pools at Saratoga, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Grand Californian, etc, etc.

I've stayed at CBBR multiple times and it doesn't compare to most Disney pools at all... the only leg up it has is having a uber short lazy river that they don't even supply free tubes for. Aulani has a lazy river and so, so much more.
I was referring to DVC pools here in Florida... Not Aulani... I agree the Aulani pool is amazing... The WDW pools are all ho-hum...Yes the Kidani pool is a tny bit nicer...but in general, the resort pools at the WDW resorts (excepting Stormalong Bay atht e Yacht and Beach Club) are all pretty boring....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom