News Disney Riviera Resort announced

peter11435

The resort is on the land formerly part of Caribbean Beach, so why did centre town close?

If they relocate centre town to next to new gondola station, which looks larger than the others, then it will be a very long distance from some Caribbean Beach rooms, and wont be central anymore.

So, they might retheme some of Caribbean Beach to the new resort, so people in those rooms would go to the new hotel to get food, etc, in which case the new centre town is fairly central...
Center town is not moving. It closed so that it could recieve some substantial updates and enhancements that it desperately needed as well as the addition of areas for services previously provided by the custom house which will be demolished when the center town enhancements are complete. Centertown is not being relocated.

BenJacobs

Center town is not moving. It closed so that it could recieve some substantial updates and enhancements that it desperately needed as well as the addition of areas for services previously provided by the custom house which will be demolished when the center town enhancements are complete. Centertown is not being relocated.

Good, it works better if it stays where it is, just the skyliner looked like it had a substantially larger station there.

Sir_Cliff

It is kind of ridiculous how opinions form in stone on things that will not be open for years, and in a lot of these cases from a single piece of concept art.
I don't think opinions have formed in stone. People are just giving their opinions on what we have to go on so far. If this is really a well-themed resort, they made a bit of an error releasing concept art showing a hotel that isn't.

Kamikaze

I don't think opinions have formed in stone. People are just giving their opinions on what we have to go on so far. If this is really a well-themed resort, they made a bit of an error releasing concept art showing a hotel that isn't.

I wasn't referring to only this thread. And I'd say there are definitely people who have already decided how awful this is.

ajt5027

While the concept art is a little underwhelming I am taking an optimistic outlook. Back to my post about Brazil, maybe they left the concept art looking like a "hotel on I-4" so they have the flexibility to theme the resort however they seem fit when the time comes. We have all seen underwhelming concept art in the past and have been dead wrong.

Bocabear

While the concept art is a little underwhelming I am taking an optimistic outlook. Back to my post about Brazil, maybe they left the concept art looking like a "hotel on I-4" so they have the flexibility to theme the resort however they seem fit when the time comes. We have all seen underwhelming concept art in the past and have been dead wrong.
No...I think the concept art is frequently pretty true to the finished concept, and if anything, makes it look better than the final project is...
People form opinions based on the concept art because that is the whole reason for creating concept art...so others can understand the final vision...not just to have something that says "Hotel"... The concept art in this case is based on the blueprints which I am sure already exist...they may tweak colors and such, but generally the concept art is meant to give us an idea of what the final product will look like...and in most cases it is used to market and hype the final product...
and this is just...meh...

Kamikaze

It's kind of the same as Bay Lake Tower. It promise you fireworks viewing. It does not promise you a view of the Magic Kingdom's fireworks show front and center.

Right, but for MK (when BLT went up), there was no projection element to the fireworks.

Disone

Right, but for MK (when BLT went up), there was no projection element to the fireworks.
Yes, and today there IS a globe to see and many other low effects, but you will not see those from this new resort. You will see the fireworks from two parks, but not the shows themselves. Unlike BLT, they don't even mention piping in the music, so it will likely not even have that feature.

It just will not be tall enough for that and that, to me anyway, is a good thing. WDW does not need another distraction.

Bobb_o

I think the problem is that the theme doesn't pop out like many of other resorts. It seems like this is the evolution of the original Venetian and maybe the Mediterranean resort. I personally would have rather had the Asian or Persian concept but out of those options this will be the one that fits in the most with CBR being next door.

I don't think this looks much better or worse than OKW or SSR. I'd be curious to see what the reaction to SSR was back in the early 00's.

Bocabear

but Riviera doesn't fit the Caribbean Beach Resort next door at all...they are entirely different themes, from different parts of the world...they are about as related at Polynesian Village and the Grand Floridian....except the Riviera theme is not discernable or even interesting...
It just smacks of laziness and lack of creative vision....
Why not let is be an extension of the Caribbean Beach theme...it would make more sense....and they would be able to give it more thematic style...though that is the theme of Sapphire Falls down the road...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom