News Disney Riviera Resort announced

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The building would have to be significantly taller than planned to give guests a view of he lagoon.

You would need to be 40m / 130ft to see lake top as seen here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/caribbean-beach-expansion.923827/page-34#post-7788231

So, according to the artist rendering, the resort is 9-11 stories... how high is that?

Of course, even if you could see lake-top from there... what would you see? A glowing ball and some intermittent flames? One can hardly make out the scenes on the globe from the lagoon's shore, let alone from an extra half-mile away.

I've watched Epcot fireworks from Pop and it was impressive enough seeing what popped up over the treetops.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
You would need to be 40m / 130ft to see lake top as seen here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/caribbean-beach-expansion.923827/page-34#post-7788231

So, according to the artist rendering, the resort is 9-11 stories... how high is that?

Of course, even if you could see lake-top from there... what would you see? A glowing ball and some intermittent flames? One can hardly make out the scenes on the globe from the lagoon's shore, let alone from an extra half-mile away.

I've watched Epcot fireworks from Pop and it was impressive enough seeing what popped up over the treetops.

That artwork shows 9 stories and a story is normally 10 ft. It's not clear if the intention is to be able to see the lagoon, the announcement only said viewing of the "fireworks" at Epcot and DHS.

Kamikaze

That artwork shows 9 stories and a story is normally 10 ft. It's not clear if the intention is to be able to see the lagoon, the announcement only said viewing of the "fireworks" at Epcot and DHS.

A story is around 10 feet. However, the first floor/lobby is usually taller than that, and you can bet the rooftop lounge will be taller than that as well.

nickys

Premium Member
I really don't see a "moderate" DVC resort working. Points are points, and neither low-cost buy in nor low-points-value will work with the existing DVC system.

This will be a stand-alone resort, with it's own exclusive facilities, a la BLT, but with restaurants etc too. Our insiders have already pretty much confirmed that. Hopefully the pool area will be more impressive than BLT though ;). The gondolas will be the real selling point though.

I agree it may well ruin the CBR resort feel and views, and think the location is a mistake, gondolas or no gondolas.

Sir_Cliff

Hey team, I know there is a lot of talk on here about the theme and whether it will be French or South American themed. Watching the Olympics last year from Brazil, I remember a big story on how their public gondola transportation has revolutionized travel and modernized their workforce by allowing people in lower income areas to travel.

I feel like they see this as an opportunity to seamlessly add the gondolas into the themeing of the resort. Along with the rumored Brazil pavilion in EPCOT, I have to think the entire resort will become more Brazil focused. Lets not forget all of the tour groups as well...there is obviously a huge Brazilian WDW contingency. Dont you see a lot of similarities between the concept art and the Copacabana?

Disney-Riviera-Resort_Full_30590.jpg

e82a73cfcb90e36018f84acc79d4cf16.jpg
They have truly lost their minds if they are opening a Brazil-themed resort called "Disney's Riviera Resort" made to resemble a generic-looking hotel near Copacabana Beach. The reference would be rather esoteric to say the least!

In other words, I don't think that's what's happening here.

ajt5027

They have truly lost their minds if they are opening a Brazil-themed resort called "Disney's Riviera Resort" made to resemble a generic-looking hotel near Copacabana Beach. The reference would be rather esoteric to say the least!

In other words, I don't think that's what's happening here.

The Belmond Copacabana Palace is a fairly famous hotel. And I don't think it would be completely esoteric if they are trying to attract international clientele for a more moderate price point.

Bocabear

not famous or iconic enough to call a theme... The artwork shows nothng that looks like that hotel enough that anyone would say Wow! this looks just like...
It looks just like any other resort hotel on I-Drive...
It is seriously underwhelming...and the thematics for whatever theme "Riviera" is are non-existant.

njDizFan

"Riviera" just means on or near the river.

There are a few worldwide places which famously have 'riviera' in their name.

There are hundreds if not thousands of lesser known places with 'riviera' in it's name.

I grew up in a suburban development oxymoronically called 'Lake Riviera.'

I did an image search for the the famous 'Rivieras' of the world and I couldn't find one building in any of them that remotely resembled this DVC 'Riviera.'

Banal. Banal. Banal.
Is that Lake Riviera in Brick, NJ? I also know of the Irish Riviera which they call Sea Girt/Spring Lake NJ

mm121

The artwork is the front of the hotel and Is facing Epcot. The back will face the lake. See the drawing below that shows the location of the hotel.
View attachment 215789

what happens to the remaining cbr rooms on that side? will they be converted to riviera rooms? seems weird they'd have guests of cbr walk/drive through riviera to get to their rooms

also how will checkin work with 2 different hotels as now guests checkin at customs house

if this is meant to be a whole different property really seems they could have found a better location for it rather than destroying half of an existing resort

Sir_Cliff

The Belmond Copacabana Palace is a fairly famous hotel. And I don't think it would be completely esoteric if they are trying to attract international clientele for a more moderate price point.
Sure, but who is going to hear the name "Riviera" look at that hotel and think "Belmond Copacabana Palace!"?

Last edited:

Kamikaze

what happens to the remaining cbr rooms on that side? will they be converted to riviera rooms? seems weird they'd have guests of cbr walk/drive through riviera to get to their rooms

All remaining CBR rooms will remain CBR rooms. Riviera will be the tower only. 300 rooms is not really a lot.

also how will checkin work with 2 different hotels as now guests checkin at customs house

Custom House is gone. New CBR check in will be at the new Old Port Royale. (Or whatever its new name is)
Riviera guests check in at Riviera.

if this is meant to be a whole different property really seems they could have found a better location for it rather than destroying half of an existing resort

Might be true. This would depend on the plans for other resorts in the Epcot area.

Kamikaze

I really don't see a "moderate" DVC resort working. Points are points, and neither low-cost buy in nor low-points-value will work with the existing DVC system.

Right, but the per-night points are what is would set the resort as a 'moderate' DVC. I would consider say OKW a 'moderate' DVC because the points for each night are so much lower than BLT or anything newer.

Kamikaze

It looks like a luxury hotel, not sure I see the problem. Actually the problem is having only a picture to go by and already deciding the world is coming to an end. Seriously people, relax, take a deep breath. This reminds me of all the years reading about that garbage Pandora land.

Don't you know that everyone already has their minds made up on everything they don't like already?

TeriofTerror

Dont you see a lot of similarities between the concept art and the Copacabana?

Disney-Riviera-Resort_Full_30590.jpg

e82a73cfcb90e36018f84acc79d4cf16.jpg
Aaaand now I have Barry Manilow stuck in my head.
But seriously, I think this ties into what we've heard about the Deluxe, Moderate, and Value monikers going the way of the dodo. As much as I'd love to see moderately priced DVC, I think this will be treated like all other DVCs and priced identically.

BenJacobs

The resort is on the land formerly part of Caribbean Beach, so why did centre town close?

If they relocate centre town to next to new gondola station, which looks larger than the others, then it will be a very long distance from some Caribbean Beach rooms, and wont be central anymore.

So, they might retheme some of Caribbean Beach to the new resort, so people in those rooms would go to the new hotel to get food, etc, in which case the new centre town is fairly central...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom