News Disney Riviera Resort announced

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Almost everyone I know who has taken the tour have been blown away by them, and a lot have added on as a result. The videos online look amazing.

The new Murphy beds are a big hit, and the pull down under the TV is a full twin. The studios have a shower and bath with overhead shower.

Someone said they toured the CCV studio show room at the same time, and it seemed small and cramped in comparison. Main complaint about the 1-bed is the master is on the small side.

I can’t wait to book it for our next trip, definitely going to do a few nights there, even if I have to do a cash reservation.

Added on. Key words there. This will be a monster hit with today's DVC owners.

Missing20K

They...they didn't learn anything from the blank side of the Grand Floridian did they...
There's a texture there but it's all the same color.

Now that the scaffolding is coming down, I feel we can start critiquing how it looks. The good and bad.
The architects are not skilled at hiding a fire rated stair enclosure. The stair towers at the new Coronado Springs tower look remarkably similar.

MickeyMouse10

I still think they could have at least used some more color on the exterior, like in Menton, France.

It would have also matched the very nearby Caribbean Beach Resort. It is very odd having two such distinctly different resorts right next to each other.

menton-french-riviera-walks.jpg

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

The architects that designed these two particular resorts, yes. GFV suffers from the same problem IIRC.
This is one of the things I find so strange about this and the new Coronado Springs tower (which I actually prefer). Not only are these new hotels not well-themed, but they don't even seem to be designed by particularly skilled architects.

Lensman

They look pretty close to 1/4 to me. Of course, then the French balcony railing would still be in the way...
Interesting. It seems to me that there aren't any fake shutters on the rooms with either real balconies or real french balconies. The fake shutters only appear on windows that have fake french balconies. Note also that even for the rooms with the real french balconies, instead of sliding doors or french doors, they have low hung windows, which isn't particularly authentic.

What I mean by fake french balconies is that the windows with the shutters have a railing mounted on the window only down to the bottom of the window, not the floor level.

You can see the distinctions I'm talking about in the picture below:

upper left: fake shutters with fake french balcony that is really just a window railing
lower left: no shutters with real french balcony but instead of french doors or sliding doors you have a window that doesn't go down to the floor level. OTOH, it doesn't look like a double hung window. Maybe it's a giant horizontal sliding window?
right: real balconies and real sliding doors

You can see this window style from the inside in this picture from a 2-bedroom room interior.

Note: Assuming the window does open they need the railing for safety purposes anyway.

Note that they have a different set of fauxness in the room stack below. Note that the rooms on floors 3-7 have an even shorter safety railing, but the do have an awning.

How curious.

lazyboy97o

Interesting. It seems to me that there aren't any fake shutters on the rooms with either real balconies or real french balconies. The fake shutters only appear on windows that have fake french balconies. Note also that even for the rooms with the real french balconies, instead of sliding doors or french doors, they have low hung windows, which isn't particularly authentic.

What I mean by fake french balconies is that the windows with the shutters have a railing mounted on the window only down to the bottom of the window, not the floor level.

You can see the distinctions I'm talking about in the picture below:
View attachment 374159
upper left: fake shutters with fake french balcony that is really just a window railing
lower left: no shutters with real french balcony but instead of french doors or sliding doors you have a window that doesn't go down to the floor level. OTOH, it doesn't look like a double hung window. Maybe it's a giant horizontal sliding window?
right: real balconies and real sliding doors

You can see this window style from the inside in this picture from a 2-bedroom room interior.
View attachment 374175
Note: Assuming the window does open they need the railing for safety purposes anyway.

Note that they have a different set of fauxness in the room stack below. Note that the rooms on floors 3-7 have an even shorter safety railing, but the do have an awning.
View attachment 374173

How curious.
I doubt the windows with the guard rails open. The pattern seems too climbable for Disney. If you look at the balconies, they all have vertical railings.

Last edited:

DonaldDoleWhip

My eyes nearly rolled out of my head reading this. Riviera is covered on both sides by CBR. This situation has nothing in common with Poly/GF.
Also, Polynesian and Grand Floridian used to feel distinctly spaced out, with a beautiful stretch of white sand beach separating them. The addition of GF’s DVC wing changed the look and feel significantly, and not for the better.

John park hopper

Also, Polynesian and Grand Floridian used to feel distinctly spaced out, with a beautiful stretch of white sand beach separating them. The addition of GF’s DVC wing changed the look and feel significantly, and not for the better.
Agree--- IMO I think Disney is making a big mistake crowding resorts with DVC (just to maximize rooms) it detracts from the resorts

peter11435

My eyes nearly rolled out of my head reading this. Riviera is covered on both sides by CBR. This situation has nothing in common with Poly/GF.
I don’t like how it’s impacted Caribbean Beach either. But let’s not pretend that adjacent resorts with varying themes is unheard of. It’s something we’ve accepted decades ago. If plans had materialized there would be a couple other themes rounding out the seven seas lagoon too. You can stick your eyes back in your head.

There are numerous reasons to hate/dislike Riviera: it’s impact to CBR, it’s light theme, it’s poor architecture, etc. but adjacent resorts with different themes really shouldn’t be one of them.

Last edited:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I don’t like how it’s impacted Caribbean Beach either. But let’s not pretend that adjacent resorts with varying themes is unheard of. It’s something we’ve accepted decades ago. If plans had materialized there would be a couple other themes rounding out the seven seas lagoon too. You can stick your eyes back in your head.
I don't even care how it's impacted CBR, I am not pretending anything really. Just calling out your very poor comparison. I know you want desperately to drill home that these are TOTALLY SEPARATE RESORTS, but this was a reach, and a silly one at that.

peter11435

I don't even care how it's impacted CBR, I am not pretending anything really. Just calling out your very poor comparison. I know you want desperately to drill home that these are TOTALLY SEPARATE RESORTS, but this was a reach, and a silly one at that.
It’s really not a poor comparison. It’s the same thing. You can choose to ignore that.

I don’t need to drill anything home. THEY ARE TOTALLY SEPARATE RESORTS.

MickeyMouse10

I don’t like how it’s impacted Caribbean Beach either. But let’s not pretend that adjacent resorts with varying themes is unheard of. It’s something we’ve accepted decades ago.

You can't compare different resorts who are separated with CBR and Riviera.

When they added the new building for "Grand Floridian" they didn't knock down part of "Polynesian". Putting "Riviera" so close to "Caribbean" is like putting a Cowboy in Tomorrowland.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom