• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News Disney Riviera Resort announced

Missing20K

Advertisement
I honestly don’t know who is doing the new hotels. What else did Wimberly Allison Tong & Goo (because that is a name that deserves to be said) besides the original Grand Floridian?
They did the Disneyland Paris Hotel, Honk Kong Disneyland Hotel, and the Tokyo Disneyland Resort Hotel. I was also under the (possibly mistaken) impression that they are responsible for some of the interior renovations at the hotels.

EDIT: They are also the architect for the Reflections DVC as well. I thought I saw their name floating around.

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So the first rooms have been declared at Riviera.

I imagine they will be putting out more details soon about points charts, pricing and the timeline for sales etc.
Can a tiny two-person studio really be called a "villa."

Or a "studio."

Marketing.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
All DVC rooms are villas. It’s the terminology they have always used. DVC resorts are listed on the WDW website as Deluxe Villa Resorts.
Doesn't mean the appropriation of the word makes sense.

Now, don't get me started on how in a theater with just one elevated audience tier it gets called the mezzanine and not the balcony...

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You probably forgot. We are supposed to be ignoring CBR. RIviera has quite enough to do on it's own. As a totally separate resort which just happens to be built right smack dab in the center of an existing resort. Please, going forward, ignore CBR.
You can’t make me ignore CBR;) I’m going to walk over there just because they told me I’m not supposed to ;)

The only reason they wanted to differentiate the 2 is to make sure nobody was expecting Riviera to have moderate priced points...even though many, many people kept speculating that it would be a moderate DVC. Based on the initial points from the declaration it looks to be closer in line to VGF points per night. Nothing moderate about that. We need to see the prices per point now...I’m predicting $200 or higher.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The original GF is in there too. And Port Orleans. And the Yacht and Beach before their creeping de-theming. And all three of the top-tier hotels in Tokyo.

But that’s a high bar that the Riviera misses by a lot. I’d argue the list of Disney resorts that are more clearly, boldly, and satisfyingly themed then the Riviera includes Riverside, Coronado pre-tower, Boardwalk, Contemporary, Polynesian, as well as Paris’ Disneyland Hotel and Newport Bay club.

Basically, if the Riviera didn’t tell you in writing it was themed, it would be hard to figure it out. Even Disney’s more lackluster resorts convey a clear sense of place in a way the Riviera does not.
I’m not even arguing the theme is well done, just that it looks better now than it did in that first (non-concept art) picture released by Disney and it doesn’t look anything like my local Holiday Inn. I think the resort theme could end up being a lot more subtle than some of the more obvious ones.

pdude81

You can’t make me ignore CBR;) I’m going to walk over there just because they told me I’m not supposed to ;)

The only reason they wanted to differentiate the 2 is to make sure nobody was expecting Riviera to have moderate priced points...even though many, many people kept speculating that it would be a moderate DVC. Based on the initial points from the declaration it looks to be closer in line to VGF points per night. Nothing moderate about that. We need to see the prices per point now...I’m predicting $200 or higher.
The price per point doesn't change by resort. Unless there is an unforecasted raise it'll be $188

nickys

Premium Member
Wow...you will need to be relatively well off to stay here. This is GFV pricing! My better half says thanks but no thanks! I find myself agreeing with her.
The prices for just booking rooms through Disney have been out for a while. Yes, pricey but not as bad as you might think - they want people to book for Star Wars after all. So not anywhere as high as GF for cash.

Points wise, higher than most were expecting. But points is points. Your OKW points are just as good for here!

pdude81

Half the resorts are currently above $200 per point. Not sure what you mean by unforecasted. They raise prices whenever they want to.
Sold out resorts are entirely different, and the direct price has been rising at roughly $6 a year lately. They use incentives, point charts, and restrictions to adjust the overall cost per point of current resorts but not the posted dollar amount. To put Riviera at $200 a point they'd have to either price Aulani and CCV just as high or change the very successful way they've been selling they product. Either of those seem ridiculous to me. The most I could see is a $3 across the board hike in the back of the $6 raise from 6 weeks ago.

But sure, yeah, they can do whatever they want.

nickys

Premium Member
Sold out resorts are entirely different, and the direct price has been rising at roughly $6 a year lately. They use incentives, point charts, and restrictions to adjust the overall cost per point of current resorts but not the posted dollar amount. To put Riviera at $200 a point they'd have to either price Aulani and CCV just as high or change the very successful way they've been selling they product. Either of those seem ridiculous to me. The most I could see is a $3 across the board hike in the back of the $6 raise from 6 weeks ago.

But sure, yeah, they can do whatever they want.
Some resorts saw a big rise recently.

But they can price Riviera at any price. Not sure why you think they'd have to change ccv or aulani.

Your first post said it had to be $188. Absolutely not the case.

pdude81

Some resorts saw a big rise recently.

But they can price Riviera at any price. Not sure why you think they'd have to change ccv or aulani.

Your first post said it had to be $188. Absolutely not the case.
The sold out resorts saw some pretty substantial increases, which I am guessing is mostly due to demand.

I say that the price would be the same among active resorts because they've forced Aulani along at the current rate of the newest selling resort for years even though that makes it tough for them to sell out that resort. They've already priced Riviera higher than CCV by making the point chart more expensive. In doing that, they add more points to the system and make more money even though they charge the same top line rate. Now if they think there will be massive demand, maybe you'll see a $3 across the board in the next few weeks. I don't see that happening though. I'm quite prepared for the verbal lashing I'd get here if I'm wrong, but it doesn't look like we'll have to wait too long to find out.

flyerjab

The prices for just booking rooms through Disney have been out for a while. Yes, pricey but not as bad as you might think - they want people to book for Star Wars after all. So not anywhere as high as GF for cash.

Points wise, higher than most were expecting. But points is points. Your OKW points are just as good for here!
True. If you have enough. I have seen some of the point totals that some DVCers have. We have a humble 150. That can get us much farther at BW or BC than at Riviera. I think that my wife's problem is that they are pricing it comparable to the GFV. The amenities are not close when the two locations are compared. I think that the GF has what, 7 dining options? Plus a first stop off of the monorail to the MK, as well as direct links to the Poly and Contemporary. Riviera is adjacent to a moderate resort. It has rooftop dining which will be great, but again, only one dining option. And the Skyliner, while a really neat mode of transportation, isn't as much of a selling point in her mind. I told her though that DVC still seems to be a draw, so Disney will continue to increase points needed per night, as well as the cost per point. She thinks that this might be the first time that Disney has outpriced a lot of their DVC fan base. Her thought is that this will be heavily marketed so that those uninitiated to DVC will be more willing to plunk down money for this resort. It will be interesting to see how this resort sells. I think that it is beautiful with what I have seen thus far (regardless of other opinions), but this price level is evening starting to make me wonder when it will end.

rle4lunch

Until they restrict us resale schlubs (got in before they cut off using resale points at new resorts) on staying at the new DVC's opening up in the next 5 years, I have no reason to pay $200/point for any more addons. That's a ridiculously gross price point (pun intended) for such an uninspired hotel.

nickys

Premium Member
True. If you have enough. I have seen some of the point totals that some DVCers have. We have a humble 150. That can get us much farther at BW or BC than at Riviera. I think that my wife's problem is that they are pricing it comparable to the GFV. The amenities are not close when the two locations are compared. I think that the GF has what, 7 dining options? Plus a first stop off of the monorail to the MK, as well as direct links to the Poly and Contemporary. Riviera is adjacent to a moderate resort. It has rooftop dining which will be great, but again, only one dining option. And the Skyliner, while a really neat mode of transportation, isn't as much of a selling point in her mind. I told her though that DVC still seems to be a draw, so Disney will continue to increase points needed per night, as well as the cost per point. She thinks that this might be the first time that Disney has outpriced a lot of their DVC fan base. Her thought is that this will be heavily marketed so that those uninitiated to DVC will be more willing to plunk down money for this resort. It will be interesting to see how this resort sells. I think that it is beautiful with what I have seen thus far (regardless of other opinions), but this price level is evening starting to make me wonder when it will end.
Only one dining option? I assume you missed the links to several updates about facilities then?

There’s the rooftop restaurant. There’s a full QS restaurant, the Trattoria. There’s a pool bar serving food. And there’s a coffee bar / wine bar, plus a separate lounge off the lobby.

Top Bottom