News Disney Riviera Resort announced

nickys

Premium Member
Wow...you will need to be relatively well off to stay here. This is GFV pricing! My better half says thanks but no thanks! I find myself agreeing with her.

The prices for just booking rooms through Disney have been out for a while. Yes, pricey but not as bad as you might think - they want people to book for Star Wars after all. So not anywhere as high as GF for cash.

Points wise, higher than most were expecting. But points is points. Your OKW points are just as good for here!

pdude81

Half the resorts are currently above $200 per point. Not sure what you mean by unforecasted. They raise prices whenever they want to.
Sold out resorts are entirely different, and the direct price has been rising at roughly $6 a year lately. They use incentives, point charts, and restrictions to adjust the overall cost per point of current resorts but not the posted dollar amount. To put Riviera at $200 a point they'd have to either price Aulani and CCV just as high or change the very successful way they've been selling they product. Either of those seem ridiculous to me. The most I could see is a $3 across the board hike in the back of the $6 raise from 6 weeks ago.

But sure, yeah, they can do whatever they want.

nickys

Premium Member
Sold out resorts are entirely different, and the direct price has been rising at roughly $6 a year lately. They use incentives, point charts, and restrictions to adjust the overall cost per point of current resorts but not the posted dollar amount. To put Riviera at $200 a point they'd have to either price Aulani and CCV just as high or change the very successful way they've been selling they product. Either of those seem ridiculous to me. The most I could see is a $3 across the board hike in the back of the $6 raise from 6 weeks ago.

Some resorts saw a big rise recently.

But they can price Riviera at any price. Not sure why you think they'd have to change ccv or aulani.

Your first post said it had to be $188. Absolutely not the case.

pdude81

Some resorts saw a big rise recently.

But they can price Riviera at any price. Not sure why you think they'd have to change ccv or aulani.

Your first post said it had to be $188. Absolutely not the case.
The sold out resorts saw some pretty substantial increases, which I am guessing is mostly due to demand.

I say that the price would be the same among active resorts because they've forced Aulani along at the current rate of the newest selling resort for years even though that makes it tough for them to sell out that resort. They've already priced Riviera higher than CCV by making the point chart more expensive. In doing that, they add more points to the system and make more money even though they charge the same top line rate. Now if they think there will be massive demand, maybe you'll see a $3 across the board in the next few weeks. I don't see that happening though. I'm quite prepared for the verbal lashing I'd get here if I'm wrong, but it doesn't look like we'll have to wait too long to find out.

flyerjab

The prices for just booking rooms through Disney have been out for a while. Yes, pricey but not as bad as you might think - they want people to book for Star Wars after all. So not anywhere as high as GF for cash.

Points wise, higher than most were expecting. But points is points. Your OKW points are just as good for here!

True. If you have enough. I have seen some of the point totals that some DVCers have. We have a humble 150. That can get us much farther at BW or BC than at Riviera. I think that my wife's problem is that they are pricing it comparable to the GFV. The amenities are not close when the two locations are compared. I think that the GF has what, 7 dining options? Plus a first stop off of the monorail to the MK, as well as direct links to the Poly and Contemporary. Riviera is adjacent to a moderate resort. It has rooftop dining which will be great, but again, only one dining option. And the Skyliner, while a really neat mode of transportation, isn't as much of a selling point in her mind. I told her though that DVC still seems to be a draw, so Disney will continue to increase points needed per night, as well as the cost per point. She thinks that this might be the first time that Disney has outpriced a lot of their DVC fan base. Her thought is that this will be heavily marketed so that those uninitiated to DVC will be more willing to plunk down money for this resort. It will be interesting to see how this resort sells. I think that it is beautiful with what I have seen thus far (regardless of other opinions), but this price level is evening starting to make me wonder when it will end.

rle4lunch

Until they restrict us resale schlubs (got in before they cut off using resale points at new resorts) on staying at the new DVC's opening up in the next 5 years, I have no reason to pay $200/point for any more addons. That's a ridiculously gross price point (pun intended) for such an uninspired hotel.

nickys

Premium Member
True. If you have enough. I have seen some of the point totals that some DVCers have. We have a humble 150. That can get us much farther at BW or BC than at Riviera. I think that my wife's problem is that they are pricing it comparable to the GFV. The amenities are not close when the two locations are compared. I think that the GF has what, 7 dining options? Plus a first stop off of the monorail to the MK, as well as direct links to the Poly and Contemporary. Riviera is adjacent to a moderate resort. It has rooftop dining which will be great, but again, only one dining option. And the Skyliner, while a really neat mode of transportation, isn't as much of a selling point in her mind. I told her though that DVC still seems to be a draw, so Disney will continue to increase points needed per night, as well as the cost per point. She thinks that this might be the first time that Disney has outpriced a lot of their DVC fan base. Her thought is that this will be heavily marketed so that those uninitiated to DVC will be more willing to plunk down money for this resort. It will be interesting to see how this resort sells. I think that it is beautiful with what I have seen thus far (regardless of other opinions), but this price level is evening starting to make me wonder when it will end.

Only one dining option? I assume you missed the links to several updates about facilities then?

There’s the rooftop restaurant. There’s a full QS restaurant, the Trattoria. There’s a pool bar serving food. And there’s a coffee bar / wine bar, plus a separate lounge off the lobby.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I could see them pricing this at $200 and then offering a discount to $190 or $195 for existing owners or even opening the sales at $188 and raising the price to around $200 shortly after. Both have been done in the past. CCV was 71% sold as of the end of January and will likely be 90%+ sold before Riviera goes on sale. I doubt they will worry about having to raise the price on the last handful of points there. I dont think Aulani factors much into the pricing at WDW.

IMHO the increase to $225 at the popular “sold out” resorts is done as a way to make the new resorts they are selling more appealing. Historically the spread between new and old resorts hasn’t been this big. I think we could see a pretty substantial increase for Riviera. All just speculation. Maybe they will just decide to not raise prices.

doctornick

I think that my wife's problem is that they are pricing it comparable to the GFV. The amenities are not close when the two locations are compared. I think that the GF has what, 7 dining options? Plus a first stop off of the monorail to the MK, as well as direct links to the Poly and Contemporary. Riviera is adjacent to a moderate resort. It has rooftop dining which will be great, but again, only one dining option. And the Skyliner, while a really neat mode of transportation, isn't as much of a selling point in her mind.

I've seen similar sentiments about the Skyliner and I've got to admit that I do not understand them. Obviously, there is personal preference and all but to me the Skyliner seems every bit as interesting and valuable as being on the monorail line. In fact, because of the newness versus the "been there, done that", I'm actually far more intrigued by the Skyliner but to each their own.

More specific to the value of the transporation of Riviera versus GF...

1. Riviera is first stop both to and from Epcot. That to me seems a bit better than the GF where you are the last stop after leaving MK (although going to MK is only one stop)
  2. Riviera to DHS is one stop/transfer then park. That's a bit better than GF -> TTC (3rd stop) and transfer -> Epcot
  3. GF is linked to two other resorts, yes. Riviera can walk to CBR or Skyliner to Yacht & Beach, Boardwalk, (another section of) CBR, AoA and Pop. Yes, some of those resorts has less amenities than the Deluxe monorail ones but still that's a lot to choose from. Plus that includes the actual Boardwalk stuff as well as being able to Skyliner then walk (or ferry) to the Swan or Dolphin or Fantasia minigolf
3a. To be fair, you could make an argument that GF is somewhat connected to Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness via Ferry system. I don't think it's as convenient, but it's a point to consider.

I dunno, but to me, I think the location and connections are huge upsides to Riviera. The central location will also make the bus travel at least marginally better than GF which is more on one side of the property (e.g. going to DAK or DS).

flyerjab

Only one dining option? I assume you missed the links to several updates about facilities then?

There’s the rooftop restaurant. There’s a full QS restaurant, the Trattoria. There’s a pool bar serving food. And there’s a coffee bar / wine bar, plus a separate lounge off the lobby.

Fair points, and thanks for the response. I just think that from an amenity standpoint it is hard to compete with what you have immediate access to at GFV. A diamond award winning dining experience, 2 signature restaurants, a character buffet, table service, quick service, high tea, 2 pool bars and Mizners is tough to beat. Really nice shopping in this resort too, as well as a spa and gym.

Just the lobby, Mizners and the GF orchestra alone puts it above most other resorts to me. That sets an atmosphere that is tough to beat. But that is just me.

flyerjab

I've seen similar sentiments about the Skyliner and I've got to admit that I do not understand them. Obviously, there is personal preference and all but to me the Skyliner seems every bit as interesting and valuable as being on the monorail line. In fact, because of the newness versus the "been there, done that", I'm actually far more intrigued by the Skyliner but to each their own.

More specific to the value of the transporation of Riviera versus GF...

1. Riviera is first stop both to and from Epcot. That to me seems a bit better than the GF where you are the last stop after leaving MK (although going to MK is only one stop)
  2. Riviera to DHS is one stop/transfer then park. That's a bit better than GF -> TTC (3rd stop) and transfer -> Epcot
  3. GF is linked to two other resorts, yes. Riviera can walk to CBR or Skyliner to Yacht & Beach, Boardwalk, (another section of) CBR, AoA and Pop. Yes, some of those resorts has less amenities than the Deluxe monorail ones but still that's a lot to choose from. Plus that includes the actual Boardwalk stuff as well as being able to Skyliner then walk (or ferry) to the Swan or Dolphin or Fantasia minigolf
3a. To be fair, you could make an argument that GF is somewhat connected to Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness via Ferry system. I don't think it's as convenient, but it's a point to consider.

I dunno, but to me, I think the location and connections are huge upsides to Riviera. The central location will also make the bus travel at least marginally better than GF which is more on one side of the property (e.g. going to DAK or DS).

Great response! You definitely make some good points.

I always say that most of this comes down to personal preference, aesthetics, etc. I personally think that this resort looks like it is going to be a beautiful place to stay with great amenities, especially for a standalone DVC. I just don't feel that the point charts should be similar to GFV (and not just because it is my home resort :)). There are just too many immediate amenities at the GF that beats out most other resorts for me. They can charge however much they want per point (and of course we know that they will), but for the number of points to be the same for these resorts is a bit of a stretch to me, IMHO. When my wife and I saw how many points they are estimating it will be for one night in a tower room - fold down bed/love seat combo, no sink area - that should in no way be as many points as they are anticipating. That right there pretty much turned us off from buying in, or using our existing points there (we currently have no resale points).

What I couldn't remember when discussing all of this with my better half is the reliability of the gondolas during storms. Lightning strikes can stop the monorails from running. Are these capable of running during thunder storms? I can see people purposefully avoiding the gondolas when storms are in the area. I personally can't wait to ride on them but my wife is not a fan. I think that the monorail resorts have more allure then the resorts along the gondola route. The gondolas have not been universally well received. If they had announced that they were adding new monorail loops, every Disney fan would have lost their mind. But you do make a strong argument on your side. I will be fascinated to see how fast (or slow) the points are sold at this one.

Ripken10

I always say that most of this comes down to personal preference, aesthetics, etc. I personally think that this resort looks like it is going to be a beautiful place to stay with great amenities, especially for a standalone DVC. I just don't feel that the point charts should be similar to GFV (and not just because it is my home resort :)). There are just too many immediate amenities at the GF that beats out most other resorts for me. They can charge however much they want per point (and of course we know that they will), but for the number of points to be the same for these resorts is a bit of a stretch to me, IMHO. When my wife and I saw how many points they are estimating it will be for one night in a tower room - fold down bed/love seat combo, no sink area - that should in no way be as many points as they are anticipating. That right there pretty much turned us off from buying in, or using our existing points there (we currently have no resale points).

What I couldn't remember when discussing all of this with my better half is the reliability of the gondolas during storms. Lightning strikes can stop the monorails from running. Are these capable of running during thunder storms? I can see people purposefully avoiding the gondolas when storms are in the area. I personally can't wait to ride on them but my wife is not a fan. I think that the monorail resorts have more allure then the resorts along the gondola route. The gondolas have not been universally well received. If they had announced that they were adding new monorail loops, every Disney fan would have lost their mind. But you do make a strong argument on your side. I will be fascinated to see how fast (or slow) the points are sold at this one.
I think doctornick makes great points. I also think, Disney recognizes the popularity of Epcot festivals to DVC members (take for instance, the availability of Boardwalk/Beach Club to GF/Contemporary...I have always found a huge difference). I think they also anticipate a strong demand from new DVC interested in Star Wars in DHS, making this resort, with exceptional accessibility to both, to be a very popular resort. Personal experience may mean little, but from those I know with DVC, they are all targeting trying to stay here for their upcoming trips because of what is coming to these parks.

doctornick

To be clear: I absolutely agree that the amenities at GF are quite superior to what appears to be planned for Riviera. So, I do think that Riviera should be at a lower price point (either cash or DVC) than GF for equivalent rooms.

But in regards to location and access to other amenities, Riviera looks to be extremely well placed. Now, part of that would depend on how one regards the Skyliner versus the Monorail. And part would depend on how much of a premium one puts on MK as the lead park. But the location and transport for Riviera to me is a big positive. It's not at the level of Yacht & Beach and Boardwalk, which I regard as the best located resorts on property, but it's not that far behind.

RandySavage

I noticed Disneyland is getting its own, thankfully shorter, version of this hotel in the form of the new Westin being built across the street from DCA. Same "Corporate Riviera" theme... it looks like both companies hired the same architecture firm:
westin-hotel.jpg

eddie104

I noticed Disneyland is getting its own, thankfully shorter, version of this hotel in the form of the new Westin being built across the street from DCA. Same "Corporate Riviera" theme... it looks like both companies hired the same architecture firm:
westin-hotel.jpg
A Westin though not a Holiday Inn 🤪😉😂

Bocabear

What makes that hotel look like a Riviera theme? It looks no more Riuviera than it does anything slightly european influenced...Is now every hotel they build with a mansard roof and arches going to be called "Riviera Style"? because it really is not.

Bender123

What makes that hotel look like a Riviera theme? It looks no more Riuviera than it does anything slightly european influenced...Is now every hotel they build with a mansard roof and arches going to be called "Riviera Style"? because it really is not.

Here is a picture of Monoco...They seem to be almost dead on the style. The Riviera isn't exactly a well defined style so much as a modern interpretation of a classic design.

If they are going for beach resort of the Riviera, Im not sure what else you could do...

ABQ

Here is a picture of Monoco...They seem to be almost dead on the style. The Riviera isn't exactly a well defined style so much as a modern interpretation of a classic design.

If they are going for beach resort of the Riviera, Im not sure what else you could do...

View attachment 354492
If they built exactly this, I'm sure someone would post about how it looks exactly like any other resort destination for the uber elite and fantastically wealthy. Same as all the rest of such places found the world over. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom