News Disney Riviera Resort announced

Beacon Joe

Agreed. If they're calling it "The Riviera"...why not have it inspired by the Mediterranean coast?

The theme appears to be "Redneck Riviera," inspired by the redevelopment of Virginia Beach. Which is pretty nice nowadays, but redeveloped in this generic style.

raymusiccity

There's also a Mexican Riviera on the Caribbean/Gulf.

Maybe they're going for a new clientele. There's also:
IMG_1671.JPG

Kamikaze

That's very close to Epcot. It would be nice if they added a bridge over Buena Vista Dr and new back entrance to World Showcase so that Riviera guests could walk right into Epcot. But I guess that is unnecessary with the gondola station so close.

From what's been said previously, this was a concept at one point but it was dropped for the Skyliner system.

disneyC97

You can see some Disney Springs area high rise hotels from the upper level of Canada. Also those Bonnet Creek ones from various points in Typhoon Lagoon.

matt9112

god that thing is going to demolish any sight-lines that may or may not exist at CBR portions of CBR are still flanking this new resort on each side. will be quite jarring.

matt9112

That's very close to Epcot. It would be nice if they added a bridge over Buena Vista Dr and new back entrance to World Showcase so that Riviera guests could walk right into Epcot. But I guess that is unnecessary with the gondola station so close.

i dont think this resort plans to charge that much. moderatish DVC a thing?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
i dont think this resort plans to charge that much. moderatish DVC a thing?
There was no mention of this being anything other than a regular DVC resort. I would be very surprised if the price per point was any cheaper than what they are selling now and I wouldn't expect the points per night to be much less either. I do think they need to address dining and amenities at the resort in order to sell it out. People will expect to have at least a QS and a TS at the resort plus an elaborate pool area and there's no neighboring deluxe resort to share amenities with. They could maybe add 2 TS restaurants if they assume they can get some guests from the other gondola resorts in to help fill the seats.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
god that thing is going to demolish any sight-lines that may or may not exist at CBR portions of CBR are still flanking this new resort on each side. will be quite jarring.
Honestly, it's more authentic that way. A lot of resorts in the Caribbean have views of neighboring resorts from the beach. It's not uncommon for the neighboring resort to have a different look or size.

matt9112

There was no mention of this being anything other than a regular DVC resort. I would be very surprised if the price per point was any cheaper than what they are selling now and I wouldn't expect the points per night to be much less either. I do think they need to address dining and amenities at the resort in order to sell it out. People will expect to have at least a QS and a TS at the resort plus an elaborate pool area and there's no neighboring deluxe resort to share amenities with. They could maybe add 2 TS restaurants if they assume they can get some guests from the other gondola resorts in to help fill the seats.

could cheaper DVC even work? honest curiosity. for me for example i couldn't afford alot of points brand new up front but the used market is ripe. and i think ALOT of people wouldn't mind skipping the 16,000 dollar corolla and buying DVC.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
could cheaper DVC even work? honest curiosity. for me for example i couldn't afford alot of points brand new up front but the used market is ripe. and i think ALOT of people wouldn't mind skipping the 16,000 dollar corolla and buying DVC.
IMHO it doesn't work. DVC is marketed as buying into a deluxe resort. It's a luxury purchase and having a discount version hurts the original product. There's 2 ways to offer a moderate DVC and both have fatal flaws. The first way is to keep the points per night the same but charge less per point to buy in. The biggest problem with this approach is transferability. You can't have owners paying something like $100 a point trading in for resorts where owners paid $180. The other way to do it is keep price per point the same but make the points per night much lower. This is less problematic but you still have an issue with trading in. Logistically it's possible.

The biggest issue with both approaches is lost profit. By either cutting cost per point or points per night Disney makes less money. A lot of the costs for the resort as fixed. The difference in cost between building a moderate and deluxe wouldn't be enough to offset the lost sales. The only way it works is if the moderate DVC resort is huge and they can spread common costs amongst a lot more guests. It's why the moderate hotels have 2,000+ rooms vs less than 1,000 at the deluxes. Since this resort is about the same size as BLT it's not nearly large enough to gain those economies of scale.

Doing the quick math, BLT has about 5.7M total points so assuming this resort is about the same size and the price is consistent with recent sales at around $180 to buy in they stand to make about $1B revenue from selling the points. If they drop the buy-in price to $125 to make it more affordable they lose over $300M in revenues. There's no way to cut costs by $300M. In reality the entire resort may not cost much more than that to build. It's just too much profit lost. The only way that makes economic sense for Disney is if they no longer have anyone buying in at the deluxe prices. If the market is fully saturated then they could be forced to consider marketing a moderate DVC.

LAM378

Thanks, @GoofGoof, for your insight. I was just coming to this thread to ask the same general questions that @matt9112 asked.

When rumors started floating around that this would be a "moderate" DVC, my interest went way up, thinking I could persuade the family to buy in here. But all your reasoning for why it wouldn't work, and therefore has to fit into the deluxe category, makes sense.

I'm wondering, though, if this will come in at a lower price point like OKW and SS, neither of which are attached to a typical resort.

Casper Gutman

It's pretty clear, between this, the new Coronado Tower, and the Yacht Club, that "bland" is the order of the day for Disney hotels.

Why would anyone pay the exorbitant rates to stay at a place that is physically identical (or, in some cases, thematically inferior) to massively cheaper hotels a few miles away?

I used to love Disney hotels so much...

Aren't DVC resorts a little generic anyway? Does it really matter if there's a big theme since these are DVC? There are plenty of themed already on property AND they are adding the Star Wars one. I am in the minority but it doesn't bother me. I will continue to stay in the hotels that I like and not worry about the ones I don't.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Aren't DVC resorts a little generic anyway? Does it really matter if there's a big theme since these are DVC? There are plenty of themed already on property AND they are adding the Star Wars one. I am in the minority but it doesn't bother me. I will continue to stay in the hotels that I like and not worry about the ones I don't.
Outside of Old Key West and Saratoga Springs (which are both themed) all of the current DVC resorts are attached directly to a deluxe hotel and share the theme of that hotel. To my knowledge there are no DVC resorts without a theme and this new one will have one too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom