News Disney Riviera Resort announced

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Wow that is a great comparison, and yes...they have undershot the goal by scores...lol
I am not sure why they would even consider the Riviera theme when they are on the grounds of the Caribbean Beach Hotel...why not look towards the Caribbean for inspiration and build something iconic and beautiful...With a spectacular pool and amenities...Lazy river, the works... this is Disney... not Marriott....
Was there some sort of announcement that there would be no lazy river or spectacular pool? I must have missed that:)

flyerjab

Was there some sort of announcement that there would be no lazy river or spectacular pool? I must have missed that:)

I know. Some of the complaints are hilarious to me. We get one artist rendering of a distant approach shot of the front of the resort at dusk and it is already an abject failure. I also love how shots are taken at the pool area, which by the way, we haven't even seen yet. LOL!!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I know. Some of the complaints are hilarious to me. We get one artist rendering of a distant approach shot of the front of the resort at dusk and it is already an abject failure. I also love how shots are taken at the pool area, which by the way, we haven't even seen yet. LOL!!
I expect nothing less. There are only a few things in life that are certain guarantees. Negative overreaction to anything DVC is right up there with death and taxes.

WDWFanDave

Giving this a try - in the Skyliner picture, there's a solid representation of the actual footprint of the resort - I tried to crop the picture to focus on it - perhaps someone with better computer skills can pull this together. Interesting how the footprint is similar, but as @marni1971 told us, the pictures we have are incomplete.

Riviera.jpg

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Giving this a try - in the Skyliner picture, there's a solid representation of the actual footprint of the resort - I tried to crop the picture to focus on it - perhaps someone with better computer skills can pull this together. Interesting how the footprint is similar, but as @marni1971 told us, the pictures we have are incomplete.

View attachment 215805

This drawing provides a good idea of how big it will be and it's location.

upload_2017-7-16_11-16-31.png

WDWFanDave

This drawing provides a good idea of how big it will be and it's location.

View attachment 215806
Yes, it's close, but if you zoom into the picture from the presentation, you can see the actual size, including the waterfront shoreline changes, and that the wing that goes off to the right from this view extends quite a bit, along with the left hand size actually abutting the gondola station. That was really my only point - it's bigger and positioned a bit differently than what we've seen so far, but regardless, we do know the approximates and location.

Daannzzz

Why, when you have a chunk of land near Epcot, would you face the front of your new accommodations facing more east than north? If they are selling this as having views of the fireworks. They have plenty of land to orient the building most any way they want.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Why, when you have a chunk of land near Epcot, would you face the front of your new accommodations facing more east than north? If they are selling this as having views of the fireworks. They have plenty of land to orient the building most any way they want.

The presentation was selling the rooftop lounge as a place to see the fireworks, which also would allow views of the DHS fireworks.

Sir_Cliff

Wait its called Rivera.... Its not about the french Reveria but the Caribbean one? Does that even exist? Huh
There is the "Mayan Riviera" on the Caribbean coast of the Yucatán. This isn't based on that, though, unless they really were modelling this off the generic resort hotels in that part of Mexico.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
"Riviera" just means on or near the river.

There are a few worldwide places which famously have 'riviera' in their name.

There are hundreds if not thousands of lesser known places with 'riviera' in it's name.

I grew up in a suburban development oxymoronically called 'Lake Riviera.'

I did an image search for the the famous 'Rivieras' of the world and I couldn't find one building in any of them that remotely resembled this DVC 'Riviera.'

Banal. Banal. Banal.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I mean, it's not unthemed, they just haven't stated the theme yet. Comes off very 70s Miami/Cuban to me. Reminds me of the Tropicana in AC.
Agreed. It's hard to be critical of the theme not fitting in...when we don't know what the theme is.

I also think they may be intentionally going for a look different from CBR. It's hard to sell a "deluxe" DVC resort at deluxe prices when it looks like a mid-rise section of a moderate resort. I think they probably needed to differentiate it from CBR to sell it as an independent resort. Assuming the outdoor pool area has a tropical theme I think it will fit in fine with the rest of CBR. In the real Caribbean not every resort looks identical and they tend to vary in size too.

As far as the front part facing in the direction of EPCOT, it is yet to be determined how much, if any will be visible from WS. From the concept art I count 7or 8 floors depending if ground level has rooms. That's about half the height of BLT (15 floors). For perspective from inside EPCOT, Beach Club Villas has 5 floors and isn't intrusive from EPCOT. This new resort is only 3 stories higher. The Swan/Dolphin has 12 floors which is 50% larger than Riviera. Tower of Terror is 199 ft tall. This building is likely to be about half that. It's hard to say how this will look from inside WS but it's not a lock to be intrusive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom