News Disney Riviera Resort announced

cmoliver68

Expect to see more issues similar to this one. We went to the model center about a month ago and the queen size murphy bed in the studio was broken to the point where they couldn't pull it down. Not sure if it was a hinge issue or anchor points but when the model center equipment doesn't work it would seem to be a bigger issue, not just an isolated incident.

mj2v

I know the cool thing to do is hate on anything on the internet.

Having actually stayed at the resort, it is a great addition.

as for theming, I don’t love the outside of the building, but I don’t dislike it either.

The rooms are really nice. Lots of Disney touches that match the theme.

Topolino’s is a great place to watch fireworks.

ToTBellHop

as for theming, I don’t love the outside of the building, but I don’t dislike it either.

How many in your party died due to the beds and Skyliner? Should call it “Disney Oregon Trail Resort”.

ImperfectPixie

If anything, these beds should be overbuilt and "oversecured."
These are spaces that are going to be used by multiple people over and over again.
Kids are going to sit on those beds, and some are going to jump on them.
Adults are going to sleep on them too.
Yup. And combine these factors with what should have been common sense for a contractor and I'm stunned to see what they used to secure the bed to the wall.

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
It doesn’t work for everybody. For us, it gives us Deluxe accommodations at moderate prices and the ability, with points and an AP, to plan a trip budgeting only food costs. It holds its value, so if we ever sell, we may break even or even make a bit of a profit on the initial cost, which means our accommodations only cost us membership fees. Or, if we don’t sell, we had awesome trips and great memories.

As with everything, you have to look at all the variables and decide if it works for you. DVC isn’t for everybody, but it works for a certain group of guests.

As for the resort experience, I would call it “Disney Deluxe Light” depending on what resort you are staying it. DVC is positioning Riviera as a flagship. We’ll see if that works out. There is a lot of uncertainty with how with resale restrictions (resale owners will only be able to stay at Riviera) will affect both Riviera and the rest of the DVC system. Since the average owner holds a contract 7-10 years, resale value is important. If you don’t think you’ll get a good chunk of that $188 per point back, then you may look elsewhere.

I’m in the “wait and see “ camp, though with SSR and CCV in my portfolio, I’m likely done anyway.
Thanks for that information. That really helps.

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
So apparently a murphy bed ripped out of the wall and fell on an elderly guest in the middle of the night. Emergency help was declined/unecessary.

Build cheap, get cheap. Anchors ripped right out of the drywall.

View attachment 434472
Was I the only one hoping to see the mother still under the bed in this picture.

Please don't hurt me for this. I am empathetic to this too as I got stuck in a fold out couch before.

Incomudro

The thing is, Disney used to do more - much more in this segment and the levels below it.
This is a high end resort, themed on the ultra luxury of the Riviera and it's just ok.
Looking at the images of the pools and the water slide outside, all I can think of is; "That's it???"
It's not bad, it's nice... but it's far below what it should be and what Disney used to do.
"Not bad" shouldn't be the Disney standard for their deluxe accommodations.

Incomudro

Yup. And combine these factors with what should have been common sense for a contractor and I'm stunned to see what they used to secure the bed to the wall.

I should add, adults of various sizes are going to sit and likely sleep on these beds with their kids.
Furniture in these rooms should be constructed and secured like prison furniture, safety and durability should be priorities.

mmascari

And then, ??? happened?

Something? 👇
Someone from Disney legal is probably looking at this story right now and starting to track down.
  • What was the installation requirement spec?
  • Was the installation requirement spec followed or not?
  • If not, who made the decision to do it differently?
  • What's the cost to change them all to different anchors?
  • What's the chance it happens again?
  • Can we get away with putting weight limit stickers on the bed frame instead of changing the anchors?

The "out of service" signs means someone thinks "the chance it happens again" is high enough to cause disruption.

Framing design is not part of architectural or interior design scope of services. It is not information that is required to received a building permit. Furnishings and fixtures should be coordinated to avoid conflicts but not to the level of providing specific support for each item. More dense stud spacing may be called out for specific walls, but it’s not typically going to get much more detailed than a note stating the different spacing. The designers may well not know the specific wall attachments depending on the openness of the specifications and this starts to get into “means and method“ which are the contractor‘s responsibility. Blocking will often be a note saying it is to be provided where required, with diagrammatic locations on an elevation being extra information. Shop drawings will be done for the framing but that comes during construction.

A 3D Revit design model is not going to include wall framing studs either. Disney does do full size mock-ups of prototypical rooms, but their intent is aesthetic approval from executives, not approval of construction means and methods. They are done early enough where there is still plenty of time for changes to be made to the interior design, especially specific details of individual furniture pieces. There is also a chance that the room mock-ups are done by Buena Vista Construction Company or another contractor who is not necessarily the contractor for the hotel.

For a commercial project like this, there's going to be a blueprint that details out the specifics for a lot of things. The electrical and plumbing runs between central distribution and the fixtures along with the exact location of the fixtures isn't just left to the contractor to pick a route that looks good at the moment. All those things, including the structural support elements required at specific spots is going to be detailed out. For instance, that wall isn't flat, it's set back the exact dimensions to allow the fold out bed to fit in a pocket.

Thank you. Likely an installation issue but which of many possibilities is impossible to say, including whether the blocking in the wall is missing or faulty. The idea that drywall anchors were planned for or allowable here is nuts.

See the list above that some lawyer and project manager are busy tracking down right now. We'll never know what they find unless it's so expensive it makes the news. For instance, if a lawsuit is filed and a support company goes out of business.

At one extreme, if the issue is the furniture is supposed to be free standing and not tip over. I could see Disney suing that manufacturer for defective product. If they're small enough, it could bankrupt them.

Or, perhaps there are floor bolts we can't see in the pictures and the drywall anchor is just to keep it snug to the wall but not supposed to provide any support at all. Just to keep fingers out from behind the unit. If that's the case, the floor bolts or furniture base may have failed.

At the other extreme, everything was done to exact spec as in the exact design and was just a bad design. We'll never know that, unless someone happens to know the guy who gets fired as a result.

The real story is probably somewhere in the middle.

lazyboy97o

For a commercial project like this, there's going to be a blueprint that details out the specifics for a lot of things. The electrical and plumbing runs between central distribution and the fixtures along with the exact location of the fixtures isn't just left to the contractor to pick a route that looks good at the moment. All those things, including the structural support elements required at specific spots is going to be detailed out. For instance, that wall isn't flat, it's set back the exact dimensions to allow the fold out bed to fit in a pocket.
The construction drawings do not go into the level of detail you are describing. Things like exact locations of concealed pipes and conduit are very much left up to the contractors to figure out. Some small devices could even have their final locations determined by the sub-contractor. Once again, light gauge framing is not structural support. It is not shown in the drawings at the level you describe where studs are shown. Shop drawings prepared by the contractors and suppliers go into such detail, but that is during construction and not during design.

surfsupdon

Really? That’s the low bar we’re falling over now?
I do not believe I gave the impression I was falling over anything. I was more shocked that Disney would offer direct bus service, for such a small number of rooms, to the Parks. This Resort could easily be part of the CBR bus routes.

CBR lost 576 rooms. Riviera added 300 rooms.

cmoliver68

I really hope this one represents “a bridge too far” and people don’t fall for this nonsense?

But I have no faith.

Too many points...to high of a price point...

But whatever...undoubtedly there are people applying for 10% Disney financing on this right now 😳

I am sure you are right about people continuing to apply for financing. However, I gave my credit card for a deposit Monday and was supposed to receive the paperwork in the mail/e-mail Tuesday. As soon as this incident occurred I put everything on hold. It costs too much for poor quality work.

On another note, I did go and walk around the property Monday evening. They did a good job on most aspects. Pictures online do not completely do the resort justice. The fountains with the two mosaics of Tangled and Peter Pan in the archways are amazing. That area is probably one of my favorite places.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I do not believe I gave the impression I was falling over anything. I was more shocked that Disney would offer direct bus service, for such a small number of rooms, to the Parks. This Resort could easily be part of the CBR bus routes.

CBR lost 576 rooms. Riviera added 300 rooms.

You seemed amazed at Disney “springing” for about 10 bus drivers and belchers...

My apologies if I misread that.
Caribbean’a bus service is notoriously bad...they probably figured It was less of a headache to pay for the new lines to the Barbados villas

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I am sure you are right about people continuing to apply for financing. However, I gave my credit card for a deposit Monday and was supposed to receive the paperwork in the mail/e-mail Tuesday. As soon as this incident occurred I put everything on hold. It costs too much for poor quality work.

On another note, I did go and walk around the property Monday evening. They did a good job on most aspects. Pictures online do not completely do the resort justice. The fountains with the two mosaics of Tangled and Peter Pan in the archways are amazing. That area is probably one of my favorite places.

Nothing I’ve seen indicates the place isn’t too bland.

The grounds and pools are not impressive...and while I’m sure the inside is very clean and nice - so’s a Marriott...and you don’t have to pay $35,000 upfront.

And too big...500 more units to flood an already over saturated pond.

You’re buying this? Let me ask: do you have other DVC points? That’s an important question.

And I assume you’re paying that credit card like it’s cash in 28 days for points or something?
To finance timeshares is a bit insane...

nickys

Premium Member
The renovated rooms at SSR have the same wall bed, instead of the sleeper sofa, in the one (and I will assume 2 and 3 bedroom) bedroom villas. I hope Disney is reviewing those units, also.

The bed that fell off though is the single bed, under the TV, like they have at the Poly or BRV. You can see the TV right above it. It isn’t the new new queen size wall bed.

But you’re correct in that Saratoga has both in the living room of the 1&2 bed villas.

Nothing I’ve seen indicates the place isn’t too bland.

The grounds and pools are not impressive...and while I’m sure the inside is very clean and nice - so’s a Marriott...and you don’t have to pay $35,000 upfront.

And too big...500 more units to flood an already over saturated pond.

You’re buying this? Let me ask: do you have other DVC points? That’s an important question.

And I assume you’re paying that credit card like it’s cash in 28 days for points or something?
To finance timeshares is a bit insane...

It’s 300 units, one of the smallest DVC resorts.

Why not let people have their own opinions? I can’t wait to see it for myself and will stay there when I can travel at a low point season. And I fail to see what business is it of yours if he has other DVC points or not.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom