Disney Rip-Offs and WannaBes

mburk

I live near Dorney Park, Allentown, Pa and have watched it grow over the years from a free-entry family picnic park to a Disney-wannabe. They have actually made great strides in attraction additions, upkeep, landscaping, atmosphere, etc. They have several awesome roller coasters, not my taste, but top notch. The single greatest thing that keeps them from even being in Disney's shadow: employee attitude. I realize they only have a limited labor pool to draw from, and all seasonal workers at that. But, man, the things they could achieve with the right dose of pixie dust is unbelievable. :D

Terp02

Living in Northern NJ and being able to go to both Dorney Park and Six Flags Great Adventure, I would like to comment on both.

Dorney Park:
I wen there last year for like the 10th time on my Senior Class Trip. Let me just second what MBurk said, they have greatly improved their rides. They have two brand new, high quality coasters, Steel Force and Talon, both awesome, and they have cleaned up the park nicely as well. I personally don't see them trying to even compete with WDW because they are a seasonal park and a VERY local one at that. The water park is great also.

Six Flags:
Last time I went was 2 years ago. I personally don't like the park that much for two reasons: Pricing and Crowds. I went for Physics Day back in Junior year, and it wasn't that crowded which allowed me to actually enjoy the park and look at the surroundings without going bizerk trying to run to all the good rides. What they do have is really awesome coasters. Granted they spend about zero time with theming, they make some mean rides. As for them competing with Disney, they do try to, but will never get therel; they have a frontier themed area that just pales in comparison to Frontierland, it's just plain sad. The park usually looks pretty sad and could use a fresh coat of paint. I haven't been able to try their version of fast pass but my friend used it last year and said u need to wait in line when u get to the park and pick which rides you want it for and pay for it. I don't really know though. One last comment and then I'll stop rambling: Remember Six Flags is run by/in conjunction with AOL/Time Warner which is a company in direct competition with Disney at every level so that's why they have so many damn parks and try to outdo Disney. They never will of course.

FanofDinsey1981

quality or quantity? Well, Disney does have a LOT, but all in one are (florida.) and they have two parks in the US, plus a few over seas. but all at quality.

Six flags has quantity, but quality? not so much. sure, it is "closer to home", and they have thrill rides etc....but bad food, not so clean, seasonal workers, and less theming.

my theory has always been this.... as it is for papers, homeworks, major presentations....

quality over quantity. and as for the THEME PARKS.....

YOU HAVE TO HAVE THEME. EVERYWHERE.

I am really rambling. I think it is the heat here in the room....no A/C is no fun....:cry:

njchris65

I don't compare Amusement parks (six flags) with Disney parks. They are different. I really don't see the competition. It's a different kind of park and always will be. Both can be fun, but they are both completely different. The amusment parks are not going for the "magic", but are really more just places with rides. Disney is a place with imagination and rides and magic.

Why the need to have to put down any park that isn't Disney? *shrug* I can have fun at both, and I know what to expect from both.

mickeyman

six flags great adventure even has a characture breakfast this year. No Joke
And there old fireworks show was very similar to fantasmic. Just a different story line. And not nearly as good.

Nansafan

In 1976 when Marriott's Great America opened, the areas were themed. The employees wore uniforms that matched their particular themed area, (lumber jack outfits, knickers etc) When Six Flags got hold of the park, the theming seemed to go out the window and the employees now wear generic polo shirts/shorts type uniforms. I miss the whole theming atmosphere. With that said, nothing can compare to WDW. Great America is an amusement park and fine for a day. WDW is a lifestyle. As I explain to people who ask how can I go every year, I tell them that once you step on Disney soil, you have left the USA and entered a new country/world. As my brother says everytime we cross the Welcome sign, "I'm Home!"

Terp02

Originally posted by walthimself05
hey someone else liked the nameTower of Terror

Here's where the difference legally is: Disney's is The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror

It shouldn't matter what anyone calls anything because Disney will always outdo the seasonal parks.

Erika

Originally posted by Nansafan
In 1976 when Marriott's Great America opened, the areas were themed. The employees wore uniforms that matched their particular themed area, (lumber jack outfits, knickers etc)

I remember that!!! I was pretty young when it switched hands though. Did Marriot ever own any other theme parks, or was that the only one?

jennifersegrave

I have to say I go to the Six Flags Hurricane Harbor in New Jersey and am glad that they have tried to compete with Disney parks. I really feel like I can pretend that I'm at Typhoon Lagoon ar Blizzard Beach when I am there. It is really that nice. I got the season pass this year and it has already paid for itself and then some. I love this place since it's my Disney water park substitute when I'm not there.:animwink:

mburk

WDW is a lifestyle. As I explain to people who ask how can I go every year, I tell them that once you step on Disney soil, you have left the USA and entered a new country/world.

YES, that's it exactly. Well said, Nansafan. And I want that lifestyle! Maybe even enough to buy into the DVC? :)

>opens wallet...moth flies out...crumbled dollar bill falls to desk...drat, no DVC this year...<

DisneyFreak721

Mariott also owned Great America in Santa Clara, California, but now it's Paramount's Great America. Sadly, I have to call that place my "home park" in terms of coaster enthusiasts because I live 20 minutes away. But we all know that any Disney Enthusiast calls ANY disney park their "home park." But I bet i just confused the hell out of all of you anyway, so it doesnt really matter.

DisneyFreak721

. As I explain to people who ask how can I go every year, I tell them that once you step on Disney soil, you have left the USA and entered a new country/world.

This is very true and i agree with this as well. I went in March and a friend who went too said the thing that they loved best about WDW was how everything was spread out and how you felt like you were in a different city or something.

kevlightyear

Originally posted by SykedOwt
Now Great Adventure has parades also, but since the employees were getting on my nerves when the parade passed I gave the Old, "Stop Ripping Off Disney" Yell, To the dismay of what was probably one of the higher ups he told me to mind my buisness.

I wasn't going to say anything, and I probably shouldn't, but I must express my opinion.

Personally, I would never do anything like what you did. This is a business that you insulted. They work hard to earn money, which I might add you paid to enter that business. Just because they aren't Disney employees doesn't mean they can't be treated with courtesy. Now I am completely on your side about how they treated you. There's no excuse for that. Plus, if I were there, I probably would have wanted to say the same thing. The difference is that I wouldn't have.

Please don't take this the wrong way, maybe my personality is just different. And don't take this as a personal attack on you either. I would also like to mention that no one can beat Disney, if it were a competition. They define the word perfection, and there's no substitute for it.

Just my two cents. . .

Rider

Originally posted by SykedOwt

They Stole That Name from Disney Obviously, But the Actual Ride Was Stolen from the Six Flags in Cali.

Ride was Stolen? HA!

It was built by the same company. The parks had no right to it. Just like RnRC and Superman in Holland are the same ride, they were built by the same company.

Pioneer Hall

I got another thing that Six Flags Great Adventure is taking from Disney.

I go to SF a lot (I live really close) and for anyone else familiar with the place you will know what I am talking about.

If you go to the Houdini Ride by the caroussel you will notice that they are playing some familiar tunes. Songs like Be our Guest, Part of your World (little mermaid), the sorceres apprentice, and other Disney songs are played from Park opening to closing. If you are going to be in Great Adventure anytime soon, I recommend you to stand by the entrance to that ride, and listen you will hear those songs.

Another thing they have in the parks are signs that say Cast Members only. So one day I went up to a "Cast Member" and asked if they know why they are called that. I got a shrug. I just thought it was interesting that they stole the saying, and didn't even tell their "Cast Members" what the signifigance behind their name is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom