Disney reports largest quarterly earnings in its history

MarkTwain

I can't believe how genius the cruise line really was. It seems so obvious now, but it was a big decision at the time. Say what you want about Michael Eisner, and there is room for criticism to be sure, but that was his baby and he pushed it and it's paid off handsomely.

I've never been on a Disney cruise but am planning on taking my niece and nephew when they are both in high school in a few years. I think a cruise would be best appreciated by them when they are a little older.

I was going to add that to my previous post but I was in a hurry last night. I'm not a huge Marvel fan and I haven't made it out to the new DCA yet (which looks great, BTW), but I can say from experience that the two new ships are worth every penny that Disney paid for them. Beyond just the fact that they're bigger and allow Disney to take more passengers to their signature private island, they really are the benchmark of Disney quality and one of the most high-quality travel experiences to be found. The new ships also allow consistent and high-capacity travel to the Bahamas (always the most in-demand), while the two smaller, original ships are freed up for more exotic itineraries elsewhere (when us DCL old-timers are looking for something new to do)... it's a win-win. :)

Patricia Melton

It is certainly good news for those of us who hold stock, which by the way recently passed $50 per share.

My husband and I have never owned any stock in any company so I don't really know how it works. When you say that it went past $50 per share, what does that mean to an individual?

Say you own 100 shares of stock in Disney. That would mean you own $5,000 worth of stock in Disney in my understanding if it's $50 per share that day. I understand this part of stocks, that if you would sell your 100 shares at the $50 price you'd get $5,000 more or less (not including the taxes and the broker fees).

I also know that stocks pay dividends, but I don't know how much that would be. Using the 100 shares as an example, do you get paid dividends every quarter or is it yearly?

Can someone explain how much you'd get in dividends with 100 shares of Disney stock if it's at $50/share?

olinecoach61

My husband and I have never owned any stock in any company so I don't really know how it works. When you say that it went past $50 per share, what does that mean to an individual?

Say you own 100 shares of stock in Disney. That would mean you own $5,000 worth of stock in Disney in my understanding if it's $50 per share that day. I understand this part of stocks, that if you would sell your 100 shares at the $50 price you'd get $5,000 more or less (not including the taxes and the broker fees).

I'm no expert on the stock market, we have only owned stock in two company's with Disney being one of them. In our situation we bought our stock through the Disney DRIP Plan. (dividend reinvestment program). We purchased the stock, and once a year we get a dividend, however with the drip plan it gets reinvested in Disney for more shares of stock. We get an outline of our dividend and stocks etc at least once per year.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

I also know that stocks pay dividends, but I don't know how much that would be. Using the 100 shares as an example, do you get paid dividends every quarter or is it yearly?

Can someone explain how much you'd get in dividends with 100 shares of Disney stock if it's at $50/share?

So far so good. So if you paid $20/share for that stock, you're up (on paper) $3,000 in your example. Dividends are different company to comapny. That is, a company pays out in dividends whatever it decides to pay out. Of course, a payment of dividends means shareholders get cash and the company has less cash (because it was used to pay dividends). All other things being equal, a company that pays a dividend of $1 per share will see its stock price drop by around $1/share on the dividend date, because it has just paid out cash. The shareholder, instead of having a share worth $50 now has a share worth $49 and $1 in cash.

Decisions on how much dividends to pay are made based on whether the company believes returning cash to shareholders is the best use of its money, as opposed to, let's say, buying another company, investing in new products, or (hypothetically), building a new attraction at a Florida theme park.

Disney's dividend history is as follows (according to the NASDAQ website, if I did this right).

Ex/Eff DateTypeCash AmountDeclaration DateRecord DatePayment Date
12/14/2011 XC 0.6 11/30/2011 12/16/2011 1/18/2012
12/9/2010 XC 0.4 12/1/2010 12/13/2010 1/18/2011
12/10/2009 XC 0.35 12/2/2009 12/14/2009 1/19/2010
12/11/2008 XC 0.35 12/3/2008 12/15/2008 1/20/2009
12/5/2007 XC 0.35 11/28/2007 12/7/2007 1/11/2008
12/13/2006 XC 0.31 11/28/2006 12/15/2006 1/12/2007
12/8/2005 XC 0.27 12/1/2005 12/12/2005 1/6/2006
12/8/2004 XC 0.24 12/1/2004 12/10/2004 1/6/2005
12/10/2003 XC 0.21 -- 12/12/2003 1/6/2004
12/11/2002 XC 0.21 -- 12/13/2002 --
12/5/2001 XC 0.21 -- 12/5/2001 --
12/4/2001 XC 0.21 -- 12/4/2001 --
12/6/2000 XC 0.21 -- 12/8/2000​

Read more: http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/dis/dividend-history#ixzz235Aw2A96

JWG

Kinda puts the doom and gloomer spin to shame. It looks like Disney has capable people in charge of the company.
Not really... the doom and gloomer spin is (at least here) tied to actual work and investment in the parks, not the overall success of the broader Disney Co. and its return to shareholders. It will likely only anger said doom and gloomers.

TP2000

the doom and gloomer spin is (at least here) tied to actual work and investment in the FLORIDA parks, not the overall success of the broader Disney Co. and its return to shareholders. It will likely only anger said doom and gloomers.

There, I added a word for ya. :D

The parks in Anaheim, Tokyo and Hong Kong are getting a lot of love. From all I've read from Bob Iger in the last 36 hours, he acknowledges that both WDW and Aulani are the weak spots in the Parks & Resorts division of the Company. We don't worry much about Aulani on these boards, so the doom and gloomers are most focused on the lack of investment in the WDW parks, or the dubious use of that investment in WDW (NextGen, Dwarves Mine Train, Dueling Dumbos, DVC on top of more DVC, Pandoraland, etc.)

jt04

The parks in Anaheim, Tokyo and Hong Kong are getting a lot of love. From all I've read from Bob Iger in the last 36 hours, he acknowledges that both WDW and Aulani are the weak spots in the Parks & Resorts division of the Company. We don't worry much about Aulani on these boards, so the doom and gloomers are most focused on the lack of investment in the WDW parks, or the dubious use of that investment in WDW (NextGen, Dwarves Mine Train, Dueling Dumbos, DVC on top of more DVC, Pandoraland, etc.)

Unlike the new matterhorn cars, lincoln and your new princessville. Correct?

And you are getting more DVC's, like it or not.

El Grupo

Kinda puts the doom and gloomer spin to shame. It looks like Disney has capable people in charge of the company.

Bit confused by this comment. The so-called doom and gloomers typically are thrilled with how most of the Disney divisions are performing, including TV and theatrical studios (post John Carter), distribution, television nets (ABC, ESPN, Disney Channels + other cable channels), the cruise lines, the reinvigorated DLR, etc. And they are happy that Disney is reporting record profits. Most of these divisions are expanding and taking risks, and it shows.

I believe the issue that troubles some who post here is the process by which WDW is arriving at their bottom-line goals. Their strategy appears to be cut more costs each quarter and take fewer long-term risks to achieve their contribution to the company's performance. Squeezing blood from a turnip (raising rates), while limiting infrastructure maintenance, larger park investments and allowing former attractions/structures to sit empty for years is nothing to really celebrate.

That's why it sounds like folks in both Burbank and at TDO are now showing considerable concern about the future in Orlando. I suspect they are noticing that the strategy eventually has negative consequences. And hopefully some positive changes could be on the horizon.

Bullee

Bit confused by this comment. The so-called doom and gloomers typically are thrilled with how most of the Disney divisions are performing, including TV and theatrical studios (post John Carter), distribution, television nets (ABC, ESPN, Disney Channels + other cable channels), the cruise lines, the reinvigorated DLR, etc. And they are happy that Disney is reporting record profits. Most of these divisions are expanding and taking risks, and it shows.

I believe the issue that troubles some who post here is the process by which WDW is arriving at their bottom-line goals. Their strategy appears to be cut more costs each quarter and take fewer long-term risks to achieve their contribution to the company's performance. Squeezing blood from a turnip (raising rates), while limiting infrastructure maintenance, larger park investments and allowing former attractions/structures to sit empty for years is nothing to really celebrate.

That's why it sounds like folks in both Burbank and at TDO are now showing considerable concern about the future in Orlando. I suspect they are noticing that the strategy eventually has negative consequences. And hopefully some positive changes could be on the horizon.

I love WDW , but I notice how things have not changed in a long time. I go about 4 times a year with my family and I take a youth group every summer. Kids love Disney world, but they are starting to say , what else is out there. When you offer nothing new, nothing that makes people say WOW, I need to see that. Potter Park in Universal made people do that. You hear rumors like Monsters Inc Roller coaster getting nixed , while DLR is getting not only carsland , but probably 2 new rides announced before years end. Its just depressing. I spend 1200 soon to be 1600 a year on annual passes not including all the money spent in the parks, where is that money going. Its not going to keeping the rides up, or getting new exciting , revolutionary rides, its going to boost stock prices , egh. So happy earnings, too bad it means nothing for east coast consumers , unless you are able to travel out west.

JWG

Fair. FL is the weak spot. But, I feel comfortable saying, in 10 years we may feel differently. I feel as though WDW may be on the edge of the resurgence that DL got in preparation for it's 50th anniversary. Just seems to be pending...

And, I feel confident saying that DVC will be making its way to more space at parks outside of WDW. It's impossible to book VGC, so I expect to see more rooms in Cali. And, I wouldn't be surprised to see rooms at an international park if Aulani is able to sell reasonably.

WDW1974

From a business perspective, Walt and Roy could have learned a thing or two from Bob.

Yep ... two visionary brothers, one a creative genius ... they could have learned a lot from a 1990s Wall Street crafted manager.

And people wonder why both WDW and this country are in the crapper (or they just ignorantly believe they've both never been better!)

WDW1974

I think my biggest issue is people having absolutely no idea how TWDC is run, how major media works, its structure, where WDW fits in to both P&R and the larger whole and thinking the company runs on things like the Fantasyland project.

People don't know and either don't ask questions or don't care ... they just want to know if Little Mermaid will be open when they check into the BW on 11/30.

wiigirl

It is certainly good news for those of us who hold stock, which by the way recently passed $50 per share.

Woo hoo! :D

75.gif

Jimmy Thick

I have to ask, why can't Disney make as much money as possible? As a shareholder myself, and a substantial one at that, I DEMAND a return on my investment. If it means raising prices at the theme parks, then so be it, people will continue to pay a higher price or they won't be able to experience the one of a kind thrill Disney World, or any Disney park offers. The doom and gloomers can complain all they want, the bottom line for Disney is not how many E-Tickets they build in California or Orlando, its how the stock, my stock is perceived.

Jimmy Thick- Dreaming of electric sheep...

Lee

Adventurer

I believe the issue that troubles some who post here is the process by which WDW is arriving at their bottom-line goals. Their strategy appears to be cut more costs each quarter and take fewer long-term risks to achieve their contribution to the company's performance.
Yes. This is where folks like myself take issue.
I have to ask, why can't Disney make as much money as possible? As a shareholder myself, and a substantial one at that, I DEMAND a return on my investment. If it means raising prices at the theme parks, then so be it, people will continue to pay a higher price or they won't be able to experience the one of a kind thrill Disney World, or any Disney park offers. The doom and gloomers can complain all they want, the bottom line for Disney is not how many E-Tickets they build in California or Orlando, its how the stock, my stock is perceived
Sure, they should make all the money they can. Absolutely.

But, I adamantly insist that they should not boost profits by cutting quality or raising prices without adding benefit. For the bulk do Disney's history, they made quite a profit by giving more, not by cutting more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom