News Disney removing plastic straws and more by mid-2019

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
v5FuBJG.png

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
No, they can't. They're fragile. Look at the overreaction to Solo. Look at the overreaction to a slow-ish September.

They are doing OK but doing tons of investing right now. If something doesn't bring in as much money as projected, they can't fund things properly or they can't show expected profits.

It's a fine line between doing OK and not doing OK, and it can turn quickly.

You're saying they are on the edge in terms of reporting as the market expects them. My point was, the other companies told the market what to expect vs reworking themselves to the formulas the street wanted to see. They bucked the trend, and delivered. Their stock reflects their success in THEIR BUSINESS... not what the street thinks business should be.

The stock price matters only to those worried about losing their job due to shareholder intervention. The real market innovators said "we have a model, and it will work..." and their valuation was built on their business.. not just how well someone hits projections.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Not every customer.

Of course - but now you are arguing edge cases as if it's the center of the circle.. which means it's useless to the discussion.

The comment stands - their business is all about customer's enjoying their product and services... they aren't spending their billions on consumables people need.

eliza61nyc

Let's not mince words - Most people are far more stupid these days. They'll do whatever they're told to do, and like it, because some clown on social media told them to do it and told them they would like it. Groupthink has replaced independent thought. So the "well, people flock to this so it must be good" excuse is just that.

?
O kay. just to make sure I'm not misinterpreting things. you're saying the majority of folks who plunk down thousands of bucks to go to wdw do so because they are too stupid to decide if they like it or not?

and that if they keep returning they are some how brain washed by the media to believe they like the place?

Minnie1976

People expect it because in their lifetimes it has been different. Disney always prided itself on being above the rest. Sure, they wanted to make money, but it wasn't at the expense of the customer. Maybe my nostalgia view is completely wrong, but I don't think 25 years ago, if they saw less people coming in for a quarter, their first response was to cut everything they possibly can to lower expenses (again, lower quarter than expected, not losing money).

You are correct, they really aren't doing anything that others don't do. But Disney was never about being like the others. If I wanted to go to a place that acts like all other businesses, I wouldn't go to Disney. People feel a very emotional connection to a place that they thought of as the last beacon of caring for customers and having their best interest at heart, and they are having a tough time watching that wash away. I personally don't quite have the bag outrage here (as I said, I'm not a demographic that would be really hurt by this, and the good outweighs the bad to me), but I don't get how you can think Disney wasn't different or special from other businesses. That's literally why I would keep going back.
Disney had a higher standard than other amusement parks. We were also guests not customers. I guess now we are customers. They were out to please there guests back then. A lot different from when we started going in 1976. I still want a bag for my merchandise I purchase there even a paper bag is better than none. The prices they charge for their souvenirs you deserve a bag. I don't buy there logic at all it is about the environment. It is about greed.

eliza61nyc

Disney had a higher standard than other amusement parks. We were also guests not customers. I guess now we are customers. They were out to please there guests back then. A lot different from when we started going in 1976. I still want a bag for my merchandise I purchase there even a paper bag is better than none. The prices they charge for their souvenirs you deserve a bag. I don't buy there logic at all it is about the environment. That a bunch of liberalism bull. It is about greed.

you will still get a bag and you can still get a straw. they just won't be plastic.

LSLS

Disney had a higher standard than other amusement parks. We were also guests not customers. I guess now we are customers. They were out to please there guests back then. A lot different from when we started going in 1976. I still want a bag for my merchandise I purchase there even a paper bag is better than none. The prices they charge for their souvenirs you deserve a bag. I don't buy there logic at all it is about the environment. It is about greed.

It is completely about saving money. That doesnt negate the positive impact on the environment.

Tony the Tigger

Let's not mince words - Most people are far more stupid these days. They'll do whatever they're told to do, and like it, because some clown on social media told them to do it and told them they would like it. Groupthink has replaced independent thought. So the "well, people flock to this so it must be good" excuse is just that.

Sad but true. Disney doesn't care if they lose a long-time customer because they think they can replace that customer with a new one. They tend to forget that it's easier/cheaper to keep existing customers than make new ones, though... Maybe that wasn't taught at those fancy business schools the Bobs and their legion of MBAs went to?

You mean like the way people who grew up with Campbell's soup commercials on TV still won't try another brand? That kind of "new" groupthink? They still think Campbell's is healthy! They make fun of arugula! They get diabetes and high blood pressure and what not, but good thing they didn't fall for groupthink.

Too bad the kids today aren't as smart as the ones who didn't fall for cigarette ads like this in the 60's:

Doctors prefer Camels

...and then smoke until they die while new reports try to tell them to stop or else they're going to die.

Why should Disney (right now) care if they lose a long time customer if a new one steps in? $5K is $5K. And they seem to be holding the cards right now, because too many people want to go there - thanks to social media groupthink. The longtime customers are "higher maintenance" and have higher levels of expectations.

As I keep telling my husband, we need to branch out more with our trips, anyway!

epcotWSC

How about give people who stay on property a couple of those reusable bags for free? They are dirt cheap to make anyway. Of course I'm sure they'd rather charge you a few dollars for them.

Jon81uk

It's not the fact that it costs dollar it is the fact that in the 40+ years WDW tnever charged for a bag to put your purchase in made from Disney. It's no different 40+ years of no charge parking for resort customers, now they added a resort parking fee. Question is where does it end. it may sound ludicrous but pay toilets in the parks would not surprise me. Is Disney hurting for money-- you would have a hard time getting me to believe that

And 60 or so years ago you wouldn’t have got a plastic bag at a store anyway. Back then paper was more common or you would bring your own bag.

Recently it’s been realised that we don’t really need all these single use bags and countries and states are banning them or bringing in mandatory charges.

This isn’t a Disney thing. This is a worldwide attempt to change consumers behaviour. In the UK single use bags have dropped by 85% since a 5p surge was introduced. In California they have seen the amount of litter of plastic bags drop since the ban.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

That is not what I was told. You had to buy your bag. Also when I was there a few months ago in Hollywood no straw any kind and no top because of the environment. Enivrionment 😂😂😂

I was there last month. I got a bag in MK and Disney springs. can't comment on the straws because I don't use them but I'm pretty sure my kdis got tops and straws at Epcot when we ate there

eliza61nyc

I don't know if this is what the person your asking this to meant.
But
Yes, majority of folks who plunk down thousands of bucks to go to wdw do so because they are too stupid to decide if they like it or not.
Yes, they are brainwashed by the media to believe they like the place.

Well lol I need to open up a store or some thing. because if the masses are that stupid (your words not mine) then I can make a killing.

who knew that if I stopped watching commercials I'd begin to hate Disney.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

And 60 or so years ago you wouldn’t have got a plastic bag at a store anyway. Back then paper was more common or you wouldn’t bring your own bag.

Recently it’s been realised that we don’t really need all these single use bags and women coiuntries and states are banning them or bringing in mandatory charges.

This isn’t a Disney thing. This is a worldwide attempt to change consumers behaviour. In the UK single use bags have dropped by 85% since a 5p surge was introduced. In California they have seen the amount of litter of plastic bags drop since the ban.

And it works. nothing changes consumers patterns than money. although I hate the soda tax in my city with the heat of 20 burning suns since the tax, soda consumption has drop precipitously and now we are seeing a drop in H.S. obesity.

my hairdresser experience a similar pattern. she got tired of paying the fees that the cc companies charge stores for accepting their card so she went to a cash only business. everyone wailed about how they were going to leave and she would lose business . so the first year she offered a 10% discount on all those paying with cash. It was a miracle, lol all those women who said they never carried cash, figured out how to use the ATM. after a year she slowing back the discount down.

We have quite a few towns in Pa around philly that no longer use plastic bags. everyone has figured out how to get their groceries home.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom