News Disney removing plastic straws and more by mid-2019

wdwfan22

What i don't understand is how is it any different to mass produce the Disney reusable bag (that Disney stores charge $1.00 for) over mass producing the regular bag. In the end both bags end up in the trash. Perfect example taken from a friend who works at the Disney store. They stated that 90% of returning Guests don't bring back the bag. So i fail to see the green part. I'm also in the Disney stores quite a bit and I personally have never seen anyone bring the bag back. To me it looks like a quick way for Disney to make an extra buck on purchases while proclaiming to be green.

LittleBuford

What i don't understand is how is it any different to mass produce the Disney reusable bag (that Disney stores charge $1.00 for) over mass producing the regular bag. In the end both bags end up in the trash. Perfect example taken from a friend who works at the Disney store. They stated that 90% of returning Guests don't bring back the bag. So i fail to see the green part. I'm also in the Disney stores quite a bit and I personally have never seen anyone bring the bag back. To me it looks like a quick way for Disney to make an extra buck on purchases while proclaiming to be green.

You don’t have to bring back the same bag; any reusable bag will do. In this day and age, anyone who goes shopping without a reusable bag has no right to complain if they’re not provided with a free plastic bag. Enough time has passed for people to have adjusted their behaviours in accordance with new realities.

Lensman

You don’t have to bring back the same bag; any reusable bag will do. In this day and age, anyone who goes shopping without a reusable bag has no right to complain if they’re not provided with a free plastic bag. Enough time has passed for people to have adjusted their behaviours in accordance with new realities.
Maybe they're too nice looking and people are at first using them for other things? I've used them to hold my stash of reusable bags. Also have used them to stockpile the disposable bags that we use as small trash can liners - at first we would go through them quite quickly but less so now that there's the spectre of the era of free disposable shopping bags might be over we've been using the "liner" several times before dumping them. Other times we've used them as delivery bags for Christmas presents.

All this to say that sometimes it takes a while for the bags to work through the higher order uses. Even then, I agree that it might be rare for a Disney Store bag to end up back at the Disney Store. I mean, does anyone think that anyone will carry a variety of reusable shopping bags so that they can reuse the one that matches the store that they happen to buy something from? That said, I do try to match the reusable grocery bag with the grocery store I'm shopping from.

Also, I wouldn't be harsh on anyone for complaining. Everyone should feel free to go ahead and complain and get it out of their system.

drizgirl

Not necessarily. Not a single store in my area (except the one Disney store in town) doesn't give bags.
Maybe they're too nice looking and people are at first using them for other things? I've used them to hold my stash of reusable bags. Also have used them to stockpile the disposable bags that we use as small trash can liners - at first we would go through them quite quickly but less so now that there's the spectre of the era of free disposable shopping bags might be over we've been using the "liner" several times before dumping them. Other times we've used them as delivery bags for Christmas presents.

All this to say that sometimes it takes a while for the bags to work through the higher order uses. Even then, I agree that it might be rare for a Disney Store bag to end up back at the Disney Store. I mean, does anyone think that anyone will carry a variety of reusable shopping bags so that they can reuse the one that matches the store that they happen to buy something from? That said, I do try to match the reusable grocery bag with the grocery store I'm shopping from.

Also, I wouldn't be harsh on anyone for complaining. Everyone should feel free to go ahead and complain and get it out of their system.
I also use them for trash can liners. Without getting them in stores, I won't stop using liners. I'll just have to buy them instead.

LittleBuford

Not necessarily. Not a single store in my area (except the one Disney store in town) doesn't give bags.

That will inevitably change before long. You can consider it good practice that the Disney Store is making you take a reusable bag when you shop there!

I also use them for trash can liners. Without getting them in stores, I won't stop using liners. I'll just have to buy them instead.

This is a fair point, and I've read that these bag bans are having an impact on those in poorer countries who now can't line their dustbins for free.

LittleBuford

When companies do stupid things people often protest. It's the best way for customers to let businesses know when they have done something stupid because sending letters or emails never works.

Disney is not going to reintroduce plastic straws because some selfish individuals decide to go on a littering spree. Anyone who behaves so foolishly doesn't deserve to spend a moment at WDW. (Sorry, @Lensman, but harsh words are warranted in this instance.)

Last edited:

thomas998

That will inevitably change before long. You can consider it good practice that the Disney Store is making you take a reusable bag when you shop there!
"Good practice"

In the minds of some people it might be but not in the minds of everyone. The reality is this whole ban plastic bags is just another way that Disney is trying to milk more money from guests and has nothing to do with the environment. If Disney wanted to save the environment they might start by eliminating the plastic Mickey ears... eliminating any plastic bottles that are used for drinks and replacing with reusable glass bottles... stop selling stuffed Mickeys and other stuffed items that are filled with polyester and made from polyester... And then we can move over to the other wastes from Disney, lets see why have fireworks, it just pollutes the air, so lets just go to a light show of some sort... and how much plastic do they use in those evil magic bands, probably need to get rid of those too.... All sorts of things that cause more pollution than a thin plastic bag.... but hey go on pretending that its a good practice..

thomas998

I'm British, so dumping tea for any reason is wrong in my book.

I'll leave it to the American posters to comment on the validity of the comparison. My sense is that you're grasping at straws (!) and being absurdly hyperbolic.
Given your ridiculous belief that banning plastic was a good thing, I kind of thought you might be British. America is a disposable society and that's a large part of what keeps the economy running the way it does. I understand the European model with things like houses made to last more than a hundred years... but you switched to a disposable society where you replaced things more often you would create a lot more jobs.

LittleBuford

Given your ridiculous belief that banning plastic was a good thing, I kind of thought you might be British. America is a disposable society and that's a large part of what keeps the economy running the way it does. I understand the European model with things like houses made to last more than a hundred years... but you switched to a disposable society where you replaced things more often you would create a lot more jobs.

Believe it or not, plastic is a thing in Europe too.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer

Aren't paper straws more disposable than plastic? I know it might cost a few jobs at the local landfill, but is that really so bad?

:joyfull:

wdwfan22

Sorry but I disagree. I'm not going to carry a bag into a theme park just in case I decide to make a purchase.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom