News Disney removing plastic straws and more by mid-2019

LittleBuford

It's not the fact that it costs dollar it is the fact that in the 40+ years WDW tnever charged for a bag to put your purchase in made from Disney.

A lot can change in forty years. We now have a much better understanding of the environmental impact of plastic and are taking steps to reduce its use. As others have pointed out, those who don't want to be charged can simply bring their own bags.

eliza61nyc

Nowhere in my post did I say boycott. It is Disney's right to charge what they want It is my right to point out the ever increasing Disney charges for things that were once provided at no cost.

Hey John,
I think what baffles some of us is this "expectation" that Disney is somehow "different" or "special", that it is some how above the laws of business.
I always ask where people go for vacation that is the same price and value as it was 10, 15, 20 years ago. You are absolutely right, NO one anywhere, would charge for a bag, I actually got into an argument at a department store in June after purchasing a suit for the minion for his graduation. lol, 300 bucks for a suit and a bag is $1.00
I just don't expect Disney to be different just because it's "Disney".

I chuckled back in September when American Airlines announced they were raising baggage fees, which is pure profit for the airlines. I mean literally before the ink dried on that story, Delta, United and Jet blue announced they were also raising their fees.

LSLS

Hey John,
I think what baffles some of us is this "expectation" that Disney is somehow "different" or "special", that it is some how above the laws of business.
I always ask where people go for vacation that is the same price and value as it was 10, 15, 20 years ago. You are absolutely right, NO one anywhere, would charge for a bag, I actually got into an argument at a department store in June after purchasing a suit for the minion for his graduation. lol, 300 bucks for a suit and a bag is $1.00
I just don't expect Disney to be different just because it's "Disney".

I chuckled back in September when American Airlines announced they were raising baggage fees, which is pure profit for the airlines. I mean literally before the ink dried on that story, Delta, United and Jet blue announced they were also raising their fees.

People expect it because in their lifetimes it has been different. Disney always prided itself on being above the rest. Sure, they wanted to make money, but it wasn't at the expense of the customer. Maybe my nostalgia view is completely wrong, but I don't think 25 years ago, if they saw less people coming in for a quarter, their first response was to cut everything they possibly can to lower expenses (again, lower quarter than expected, not losing money).

You are correct, they really aren't doing anything that others don't do. But Disney was never about being like the others. If I wanted to go to a place that acts like all other businesses, I wouldn't go to Disney. People feel a very emotional connection to a place that they thought of as the last beacon of caring for customers and having their best interest at heart, and they are having a tough time watching that wash away. I personally don't quite have the bag outrage here (as I said, I'm not a demographic that would be really hurt by this, and the good outweighs the bad to me), but I don't get how you can think Disney wasn't different or special from other businesses. That's literally why I would keep going back.

peter11435

Disney became Disney precisely because they were different.
1543587630248.jpeg

Tony the Tigger

But Disney was never about being like the others.

But they are not immune from playing by (being judged by) the Wall Street rules every other big company does. That’s what’s new.

They can’t just shrug it off if stock prices tank - it can affect everything, depending on the severity.

It’s unrealistic to have certain expectations of them re: improvements, perfection, etc.

It’s not unrealistic to expect excellent customer service day-to-day.

eliza61nyc

Disney became Disney precisely because they were different.

LOL every thing was different 15-30 years ago so by that analogy

When I get to the parks I"ll ask to skip the security because you know, back in the day we didn't have to have security checks.
When I catch my flight, well I really shouldn't have to pay for the baggage because darn it 30 years ago air travel was so different, and could I get a full meal, because in 1980 when I flew to florida they actually brought you real food.

Please, please please. where do you live that this works. where do you go on vacation that you can say "well you use to do it this way decades ago so can I have it the same way"? because seriously I want to go there.

listen I get it, I really do. 22 years ago Disney was fabulous. it was cheap, they cared about every body and wanted everybody to come. I'm sorry I missed this golden age. I have my doubts but boy, I would have loved to seen it.

I can't imagine me ever being able to enjoy anything if I compared it to decades ago.

And Disney is still different than any place else. I still have gotten excellent service, love my resort and from my experience in todays travel world, food prices are not out of line. I do wish the quality was better but I don't find it terrible

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

When I get to the parks I"ll ask to skip the security because you know, back in the day we didn't have to have security checks.
When I catch my flight, well I really shouldn't have to pay for the baggage because darn it 30 years ago air travel was so different, and could I get a full meal, because in 1980 when I flew to florida they actually brought you real food.

Please, please please. where do you live that this works. where do you go on vacation that you can say "well you use to do it this way decades ago so can I have it the same way"? because seriously I want to go there.

listen I get it, I really do. 22 years ago Disney was fabulous. it was cheap, they cared about every body and wanted everybody to come. I'm sorry I missed this golden age. I have my doubts but boy, I would have loved to seen it.

And Disney is still different than any place else.
I miss the 1996 WDW. But I still enjoy the 2018 WDW... I've just reset my expectations.

Missing20K

I can't imagine me ever being able to enjoy anything if I compared it to decades ago.

And Disney is still different than any place else. I still have gotten excellent service, love my resort and from my experience in todays travel world, food prices are not out of line. I do wish the quality was better but I don't find it terrible

Not at all. It wasn't an analogy. They were different than their competitors. They created feature length animation when no one else was doing such. They practically invented the nature documentary film. They turned the county fair and trolley parks into the greatest themed entertainment experience the world has ever known.

I said nothing about security lines, baggage fees, or some "Golden Age" of Disney 22 years ago. Strawmen taste funny to me.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Logic fail.

Disney was different FROM ITS CONTEMPORARIES. Now, just to today, what is Disney doing? TRYING TO BE LIKE ITS CONTEMPORARIES. What justification is everyone throwing out about things? "everyone else does it..."

I'm sorry, this is looking at the literal and missing the actual message. It doesn't reflect well either.

Because you are creating false analogies that you can easily debunk instead of looking at the actual behavior or attitude driving literal choices.

On your next trip... goto a place like Discovery Cove to get a different perspective on how similar things can deliver very different experiences. It's not about security screening or not...

flynnibus

Premium Member

the 'laws of business' are simply past examples people use to try to steer something into future success. They are 'laws' only in the sense of 'it worked or not before'.

Disney became Disney precisely because THEY DID NOT FOLLOW but instead lead - even against the prevailing line of thinking, or even immediate feedback/critics.

Products like Disneyland were the ANTI-business law

eliza61nyc

the 'laws of business' are simply past examples people use to try to steer something into future success. They are 'laws' only in the sense of 'it worked or not before'.

Disney became Disney precisely because THEY DID NOT FOLLOW but instead lead - even against the prevailing line of thinking, or even immediate feedback/critics.

Products like Disneyland were the ANTI-business law
They still are very much the leaders in the industry. Changing with the time does not mean it's not an industry leader. You not liking the changes doesn't mean a decrease in product.

I have been to discovery cove. I did not think it was superior to any thing. I definitely would not recommend it as anything but a side trip and definitely did not find the quality better.

flynnibus

Premium Member
They still are very much the leaders in the industry. Changing with the time does not mean it's not an industry leader. You not liking the changes doesn't mean a decrease in product.

I have been to discovery cove. I did not think it was superior to any thing. I definitely would not recommend it as anything but a side trip and definitely did not find the quality better.

Did you even get in the water?

Compare the experience of getting gear and food at DC to other places...

This is my favorite... "You not liking the changes doesn't mean a decrease in product."

They are IN THE SERVICE AND ENTERTAINMENT industry... customer satisfaction is literally EVERYTHING. No one flocks to DIsney because they need to.. they do so because they think they want to. The product does not survive without customers liking it

eliza61nyc

Not at all. It wasn't an analogy. They were different than their competitors. They created feature length animation when no one else was doing such. They practically invented the nature documentary film. They turned the county fair and trolley parks into the greatest themed entertainment experience the world has ever known.

I said nothing about security lines, baggage fees, or some "Golden Age" of Disney 22 years ago. Strawmen taste funny to me.

my apologies, my analogy was in reference to the obsession here of comparing every thing through the lens of the previous 3 decades. I fugured since that's the ruler everyone uses I would use it too.

my bad.

eliza61nyc

Did you even get in the water?

Compare the experience of getting gear and food at DC to other places...

This is my favorite... "You not liking the changes doesn't mean a decrease in product."

They are IN THE SERVICE AND ENTERTAINMENT industry... customer satisfaction is literally EVERYTHING. No one flocks to DIsney because they need to.. they do so because they think they want to. The product does not survive without customers liking it

you are 1 customers. I would think with the millions of customers as you say are flocking to disney that would pretty much infer that they like it.

Isn't that obvious? how many folks are return visitors.

And yes I got in the water. and?? I repeat, it was no more superior than the service i get at disney and definitely not as good as the Atlantis .

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

They are one of the biggest companies around - They, like Google or Amazon, can set the trends.. instead of being bullied by it.

No, they can't. They're fragile. Look at the overreaction to Solo. Look at the overreaction to a slow-ish September.

They are doing OK but doing tons of investing right now. If something doesn't bring in as much money as projected, they can't fund things properly or they can't show expected profits.

It's a fine line between doing OK and not doing OK, and it can turn quickly.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Let's not mince words - Most people are far more stupid these days. They'll do whatever they're told to do, and like it, because some clown on social media told them to do it and told them they would like it. Groupthink has replaced independent thought. So the "well, people flock to this so it must be good" excuse is just that.

Not every customer.

Some are unreasonable and/or high maintenance, and therefore expendable as long as they are replaced by other customers.

Sad but true. Disney doesn't care if they lose a long-time customer because they think they can replace that customer with a new one. They tend to forget that it's easier/cheaper to keep existing customers than make new ones, though... Maybe that wasn't taught at those fancy business schools the Bobs and their legion of MBAs went to?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom