News Disney removing plastic straws and more by mid-2019

s8film40

I'm going to stock up on a variety of sizes of Universal merchandise bags. Then when they ask if I want to purchase a reusable bag I'll just hand that to them and say "no thanks, just put it in here". :D

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I'm going to stock up on a variety of sizes of Universal merchandise bags. Then when they ask if I want to purchase a reusable bag I'll just hand that to them and say "no thanks, just put it in here". :D
And then you could really show them by using Universal toiletries whilst staying in a Disney resort ...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
We took straws when they kids were younger. Just had a few in the bag we carried so it was not a big deal. Now we go without bags and we drink mostly bottle water anyway. But I can see those with young kids still bringing straws. More so now that every park is going to the paper straws.
You brought straws because your kids didn’t like the paper ones offered in the park or they couldn’t use them? Or you just carried straws everywhere you went in a “diaper” bag? I would agree if it’s the diaper bag thing. We carried just about anything the kids might need in those bags including I’m sure some straws. They always came in handy if you got milk or juice from a place without straws. When at DAK if we got a fountain drink at the park we’d use the straws they had.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
What was the price of the reusable bag?
From the Disney Website:
Official Walt Disney World Parks reusable tote
6538B639-8118-4697-8704-909CF0FD3CA5.png

Some additional options of various sizes and prices:

BE3C2207-8242-4F71-B312-01CB4D416506.png

0FE80288-4C23-41E5-ABD9-59C44AE92C70.png

33E90639-54BA-4085-A8DF-D10E3DC19250.png

4F4B1975-969E-4C0F-ADFD-163AADC74F13.png

My guess is they will range in price from $3 up to $10 based on size.

s8film40

You brought straws because your kids didn’t like the paper ones offered in the park or they couldn’t use them? Or you just carried straws everywhere you went in a “diaper” bag? I would agree if it’s the diaper bag thing. We carried just about anything the kids might need in those bags including I’m sure some straws. They always came in handy if you got milk or juice from a place without straws. When at DAK if we got a fountain drink at the park we’d use the straws they had.
I mostly take/took straws because we preferred to use bendy straws. Wasn’t even so much because they weren’t offered. A toddler sitting at a table trying to reach for a full size straw in a cup will often pull the cup over.

He’s getting old enough now though we probably won’t need straws too much longer. Honestly all environmental aspects aside I really don’t understand why adults use straws, it’s just silly. A thick shake or slushy I can understand but really by the time your 5 or 6 you should’ve learned how to drink out of a cup by then (disabilities obviously excluded).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I mostly take/took straws because we preferred to use bendy straws. Wasn’t even so much because they weren’t offered. A toddler sitting at a table trying to reach for a full size straw in a cup will often pull the cup over.

He’s getting old enough now though we probably won’t need straws too much longer. Honestly all environmental aspects aside I really don’t understand why adults use straws, it’s just silly. A thick shake or slushy I can understand but really by the time your 5 or 6 you should’ve learned how to drink out of a cup by then (disabilities obviously excluded).
That’s understandable. Bendy straws are the best for kids. They are also cool to connect together and build things with...I got in trouble a bunch of times as a kid for doing that. My mom made me take my inventions apart and reuse the straws:)

To the point of the topic here, if people brought bendy straws for young kids before they probably still will now. For mostly everyone else they will just use the straws offered or just skip the straw completely.

s8film40

To the point of the topic here, if people brought bendy straws for young kids before they probably still will now. For mostly everyone else they will just use the straws offered or just skip the straw completely.
If it’s just one park or even the occasional business then I would agree. With this being implemented across the property and countless other businesses I think there are going to be certain people who start regularly carrying straws. Now how big that number is who knows.

Tony the Tigger

21stamps

I don't actually know, sorry. When she asked, I thought she said $9.95 which seemed ridiculous, but for sanity's sake I'm hoping I misheard and it was something more reasonable.
From the Disney Website:
View attachment 299794

View attachment 299795
View attachment 299796
View attachment 299797
View attachment 299798

I was going to say that I would personally spend up to $5, but not above that. I’d just carry the purchases bagless at $10 😂

21stamps

Bah! I don’t want to carry anything around.

But you can get those, even with characters, at the dollar tree – along with straws and ponchos!

I have so many free and $1or less reusable bags.. I get free ones every time I do a 5k. They all get used a lot though.. birthday parties (to carry decorations or treat bags), get togethers where I have to bring something, school, shopping, etc etc.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Its not ironic either.

The flavoured straws were already on sale and are a different product.

It would be ironic if Starbucks removed free plastic straws with a paper wrapper and replaced them with free paper straws in a plastic wrapper. As the irony is the plastic straw is replaced with the plastic wrapper.

But for the flavoured ones they are unconnected to the free straws and the plastic wrapper is necessary for them to function.
You don't find it ironic that they're going to stop carrying paper-wrapped plastic straws but will continue to carry plastic wrapped paper straws...

I do. And I find your insistence that it isn't ironic ... ironic.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I have so many free and $1or less reusable bags.. I get free ones every time I do a 5k. They all get used a lot though.. birthday parties (to carry decorations or treat bags), get togethers where I have to bring something, school, shopping, etc etc.
Here’s the official language from Disney:
Plans also call for Disney to reduce the number of plastic shopping bags in owned and operated parks and on Disney cruise line, offering guests the option to purchase reusable bags at a nominal price.
So they don’t really say all plastic bags will be completely eliminated but they do specify that the reusable bags will be sold at a nominal price. That could mean $3 or less (but the quality will likely be pretty poor) or it could mean $5+ (but the bags will be a lot nicer). I imagine they could even do both. Offering a cheaper option and a fancy option. Nominal is a subjective term so who knows what that actually means in dollars.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Here’s the official language from Disney:
Plans also call for Disney to reduce the number of plastic shopping bags in owned and operated parks and on Disney cruise line, offering guests the option to purchase reusable bags at a nominal price.
So they don’t really say all plastic bags will be completely eliminated but they do specify that the reusable bags will be sold at a nominal price. That could mean $3 or less (but the quality will likely be pretty poor) or it could mean $5+ (but the bags will be a lot nicer). I imagine they could even do both. Offering a cheaper option and a fancy option. Nominal is a subjective term so who knows what that actually means in dollars.
Will they give us a discount if we bring in our own Kroger or Publix reusable bags?

daringstoic

From the Disney Website:
View attachment 299794

View attachment 299795
View attachment 299796
View attachment 299797
View attachment 299798

Dang. If I'd seen this one, I might've gone for it. It's like they took all of my favorite characters and put them on one bag. If I could just swap Cinderella for Pocahontas it would be perfection - and it gets bonus points for managing to not be pink.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom