News Disney removing plastic straws and more by mid-2019

daringstoic

I'm curious about how the bag thing will play out. I was just at my local Disney store and the CM who rang me up said that the company as a whole has gone bag-free. No paper. No plastic. Nothing. I was kind of caught off guard because I'd heard that the timeframe wasn't until next year, but fortunately I had enough room in another bag I'd gotten at a different store so I didn't have to hold my tumblers and stuffed animals in my arms while I finished shopping. I honestly would've put whatever didn't fit in my purse back otherwise because I wasn't about to buy yet another reusable bag.

Jon81uk

This sounds very simple but in reality it posses bigger problems then you might think. So they go to all reusable plates and silverware, you now need an industrial dishwasher and staff to handle the load. Maybe the old buildings do not have the space, plumbing, etc to be able to do this. Then there are the different health codes that need to be followed with where they can put the dishwasher and clean dishes. It might be possible in some of the locations but I doubt all of them. They would need to keep on top of the bussing so there is not food left out in the open for the bugs and birds so they will need more staff. It probably is cheaper for them to use the disposable plates. I work in food and we get quite a few people that will order their food to go and then sit down and eat it there. IDK why all of them do it but some say they don't like to eat off of restaurant plates because it "grosses them out". Which of course is silly since we prepped the food there.
They manage this at Disneyland, including having a quick service place in the New Orleans area of the park that is entirely outdoor seating (with many pigeons trying to steal your food) and still use reusable plastic plates and metal silverware. It shouldn’t be difficult for WDW to implement at the value resort food courts at least, they will already have some dishwashers for the kitchen equipment, just need to enlarge that space slightly. In the parks, yes it will be harder to implement as the existing kitchens will be small, but they could make sure all new built kitchens have dishwasher areas and bigger kitchen porter teams.
Satuli Canteen opened serving on real plates and silverware, hopefully the cantina in Star Wars Land will do the same.

Movielover

Can't take credit for this brilliant pic.

starbucks-is-replacing-single-use-plastic-straws-with-papepones-packaged-35061801.png

Jon81uk

starbucks-is-replacing-single-use-plastic-straws-with-papepones-packaged-35061801.png

This is completely irrelevant.
The straws are packaged due to the flavouring, nothing to do with the plastic straws, without the plastic wrapper the flavour would dissipate or pick up flavour from something else.

Its like saying at Disney's Animal Kingdom they sell a souvenir bottle for $12.99 just because they have no lids on the disposbale cups. Both the things exist but there is no connection.

Movielover

The straws are packaged due to the flavouring, nothing to do with the plastic straws, without the plastic wrapper the flavour would dissipate or pick up flavour from something else.

Its like saying at Disney's Animal Kingdom they sell a souvenir bottle for $12.99 just because they have no lids on the disposbale cups. Both the things exist but there is no connection.

Just thought it was a funny picture slightly related to the topic at hand.

Its 3 am and I'm bored at work, sue me...

Lensman

I liked their cookie straws better.

FWIW, I always tolerate at least a little capitalism in corporate America. Take away the free disposable plastic straws in favor of the cheaper sippy lids while still selling flavored straws for a profit (we think)? Where can I invest in such business genius? Tell me where to send my money!

(sorry for the added late-edit @Movielover, I understand if you want to withdraw your like, or I will state here that @Movielover's like is mostly about the cookie straw part! PM me if you want me to remove this commentary. I'm pandering to your like, so let me know what you'd like me to do! It's ironic that I'm pandering for likes while commenting on a post alleging that Starbucks is pandering to an environmental policy. lol)

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

It may not be relevant, but it's certainly ironic.

Jon81uk

It may not be relevant, but it's certainly ironic.

Its not ironic either.

The flavoured straws were already on sale and are a different product.

It would be ironic if Starbucks removed free plastic straws with a paper wrapper and replaced them with free paper straws in a plastic wrapper. As the irony is the plastic straw is replaced with the plastic wrapper.

But for the flavoured ones they are unconnected to the free straws and the plastic wrapper is necessary for them to function.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Its not ironic either.

The flavoured straws were already on sale and are a different product.

It would be ironic if Starbucks removed free plastic straws with a paper wrapper and replaced them with free paper straws in a plastic wrapper. As the irony is the plastic straw is replaced with the plastic wrapper.

But for the flavoured ones they are unconnected to the free straws and the plastic wrapper is necessary for them to function.
2aag0t.jpg

jaklgreen

Fair enough. By nobody I meant 99% of the people. You are the rare 1% :)

We took straws when they kids were younger. Just had a few in the bag we carried so it was not a big deal. Now we go without bags and we drink mostly bottle water anyway. But I can see those with young kids still bringing straws. More so now that every park is going to the paper straws.

jaklgreen

They manage this at Disneyland, including having a quick service place in the New Orleans area of the park that is entirely outdoor seating (with many pigeons trying to steal your food) and still use reusable plastic plates and metal silverware. It shouldn’t be difficult for WDW to implement at the value resort food courts at least, they will already have some dishwashers for the kitchen equipment, just need to enlarge that space slightly. In the parks, yes it will be harder to implement as the existing kitchens will be small, but they could make sure all new built kitchens have dishwasher areas and bigger kitchen porter teams.
Satuli Canteen opened serving on real plates and silverware, hopefully the cantina in Star Wars Land will do the same.

I am not saying that it isn't possible or that they will never do this. But I think there is much more to it then you realize.

21stamps

I'm curious about how the bag thing will play out. I was just at my local Disney store and the CM who rang me up said that the company as a whole has gone bag-free. No paper. No plastic. Nothing. I was kind of caught off guard because I'd heard that the timeframe wasn't until next year, but fortunately I had enough room in another bag I'd gotten at a different store so I didn't have to hold my tumblers and stuffed animals in my arms while I finished shopping. I honestly would've put whatever didn't fit in my purse back otherwise because I wasn't about to buy yet another reusable bag.

What was the price of the reusable bag?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom