News Disney removing plastic straws and more by mid-2019

21stamps

I read the announcement again.. has something new been released since July? The reusable still sounds completely optional, and will remain that way..says nothing about room delivery. It sounds like anywhere else.

I’m curious if anyone here has first hand experience of being forced to buy reusable while at Disney. Why do people think that will happen?

—-
By mid-2019, The Walt Disney Company will eliminate single-use plastic straws and plastic stirrers at all owned and operated locations across the globe, amounting to a reduction of more than 175 million straws and 13 million stirrers annually.

In addition, over the next few years we’re transitioning to refillable in-room amenities in our hotels and on our cruise ships, reducing plastics in guest rooms by 80 percent. We will also reduce the number of plastic shopping bags in our owned and operated parks and on our cruise line, offering guests the option to purchase reusable bags at a nominal price. Finally, we will complete our work to eliminate polystyrene cups across our global owned and operated business. These steps are part of our long-term effort to reduce single-use plastics, and we will continue recycling and responsibly disposing single-use waste that cannot be eliminated.

Last edited:

TOCPE82

If they improved the resort delivery and pickup options... customer demand for bags would drop too.

Unfortunately the resort delivery option is pretty damn crude and not always useful (too long of delivery windows) and bag pickup for the majority of guests would scare me.

We loved and used resort delivery ALL the time when they'd actually take the item to your room... but we go to the lobby / main store so infrequently at our hotel that pickup just isn't worth it unless it's a huge item.

MickeyMinnieMom

I read the announcement again.. has something new been released since July? The reusable still sounds completely optional, and will remain that way..says nothing about room delivery. It sounds like anywhere else.

I’m curious if anyone here has first hand experience of being forced to buy reusable while at Disney. Why do people think that will happen?

—-
By mid-2019, The Walt Disney Company will eliminate single-use plastic straws and plastic stirrers at all owned and operated locations across the globe, amounting to a reduction of more than 175 million straws and 13 million stirrers annually.

In addition, over the next few years we’re transitioning to refillable in-room amenities in our hotels and on our cruise ships, reducing plastics in guest rooms by 80 percent. We will also reduce the number of plastic shopping bags in our owned and operated parks and on our cruise line, offering guests the option to purchase reusable bags at a nominal price. Finally, we will complete our work to eliminate polystyrene cups across our global owned and operated business. These steps are part of our long-term effort to reduce single-use plastics, and we will continue recycling and responsibly disposing single-use waste that cannot be eliminated.
If you read back, posters have said that quite clearly -- this is still an OPTION inside the parks. The discussion about this in parks has all been predicated by IF they do the same in parks as they just started to in World of Disney. Some of Disney's statements sound like this is not the end of their efforts to reduce plastic.

I still think they might worry that it'll result in lost sales inside the parks, and NOT remove all plastic. Just impractical with hotel delivery, etc. Unless they remove plastic and replace with study-enough paper bags -- that would work practically, but not make quite the PR point they're obviously trying to.

Nubs70

—-

Now if WDW makes the reusable bags the quality and appearance of those at Buckingham Palace, that would be a good thing.

I was able to tour Buckingham Palace this summer. The bags sold at the gift shop for around 2 pound. I bought 2 just because they were so good looking.
51PweAMP9YL._SR600,315_PIWhiteStrip,BottomLeft,0,35_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Last edited:

TOCPE82

If you read back, posters have said that quite clearly -- this is still an OPTION inside the parks. The discussion about this in parks has all been predicated by IF they do the same in parks as they just started to in World of Disney. Some of Disney's statements sound like this is not the end of their efforts to reduce plastic.

I still think they might worry that it'll result in lost sales inside the parks, and NOT remove all plastic. Just impractical with hotel delivery, etc. Unless they remove plastic and replace with study-enough paper bags -- that would work practically, but not make quite the PR point they're obviously trying to.
Plus I can only imagine how Loss Prevention feels about the change. Their job is hard enough already, haha. As a CM I couldn't believe how much theft people just simply get away with.

21stamps

Wait, this is all a freak out over “what if they stop allowing plastic bags, even though it hasn’t happened or announced to happen...”?

Oy. Ok.

MickeyMinnieMom

Wait, this is all a freak out over “what if they stop allowing plastic bags, even though it hasn’t happened or announced to happen...”?

Oy. Ok.
No one is freaking out. We're having a discussion. Like people do on these boards about EVERY Disney-related topic. Many discussions on things that may happen -- nothing unusual.

Minnie1976

I hadn’t read the reason. Just went back and read about hotel delivery. Is Disney charging for reusable bags if merchandise is sent to the room? That sounds kind of pointless.
Does anyone know for sure?
I was wondering the same thing. They have to package it someway to keep your items together.
Are they going to charge for those bags?

note2001

I was wondering the same thing. They have to package it someway to keep your items together.
Are they going to charge for those bags?
I can see this new bag policy encouraging folk to use the ship to resort feature more. Problem with that being, not everyone is staying at a Disney owned resort, and there are limitations to the service such as no food items, even if pre-packaged, and not guaranteed to be delivered that last 24 hours on site.

John park hopper

We have so many reusable bags in our closet we sure in heck don't need another one from Disney; which we may use every couple of years When will this stick it to the customer end Disney? To those who say well you don't have to go --you are correct. My long run of Disney Magic beginning in 1972 will end with our May 2019 trip----- as Bob Hope would say thanks for the memories.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
We have so many reusable bags in our closet we sure in heck don't need another one from Disney; which we may use every couple of years When will this stick it to the customer end Disney? To those who say well you don't have to go --you are correct. My long run of Disney Magic beginning in 1972 will end with our May 2019 trip----- as Bob Hope would say thanks for the memories.

If you haven't visited any other Disney parks, may I suggest California or Tokyo, or maybe even Paris, get your vacation dollars next? :) We're also considering other vacation options after our cruise in January. The "magic" has been slowly eroded over the last 12 years, particularly the past 4-5 years, with prices overall ramping up far faster than inflation, income, etc. Not that it's not fun to go, but perhaps many of us have reached a point where we don't need to continue going back like we once did because it's just too damn expensive now.

eliza61nyc

And you know some thing John, that truly is not a bad thing. I know when I make that suggestion I don't do it to be snarky or rude. One thing I've always said, at least for me is vacations are so uber important and if you come back from one, any place whether it's the beach, Disneyworld or anyplace and the overriding thing one thinks to post are negatives then it maybe time to reconsider that place. I have had vacation destinations that my family loved change over time and felt a bit bittersweet about it, especially places that we went when our children were small but it's all good. there is a great big wide world out there and we've had just as "magical" vacation other places as in Disney.

where ever you go, wishing you happy trails.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom