News Disney removing plastic straws and more by mid-2019

willtravel

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features/forget-plastic-straws-paper-cups-are-now-the-latest-target

Just saw this. Not sure if posted but I am confused where it says "This summer, Starbucks made its first move to curb its paper cup use in the U.K. by charging 7 cents more if a customer needed one." Does this mean I brink my own cup?

I am starting to think the airline industry with there up charges has opened a Pandora's box..... I know, Disney has been doing it for awhile for parties,,etc. Maybe other companies have been doing it and I just never noticed it or did not affect me. Wonder what Disney would say if I whipped out my Kroger plastic bag to put my souvenirs in it.

Last edited:

21stamps

Jon81uk

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features/forget-plastic-straws-paper-cups-are-now-the-latest-target

Just saw this. Not sure if posted but I am confused where it says "This summer, Starbucks made its first move to curb its paper cup use in the U.K. by charging 7 cents more if a customer needed one." Does this mean I brink my own cup?

Starbucks give a 25p discount if you bring your own cup. But there is a move towards (and I’m not sure they are doing it in every store yet) charging extra on top for paper cups.
So if coffee is £2 and you use your own cup you pay £1.75, drink in using china and it’s £2, take out using paper and it’s £2.10.

MickeyMinnieMom

We could just be total oddballs, but most are already using reusable bags often.
Again -- so am I -- all the time -- every day!! But in the parks -- given how WE shop -- it would be a huge pain.

Maybe there aren't many of us and I'll be out of luck. I'm fine foregoing some purchases and having others shipped home (with a ton more disposable material, btw) -- but I'm not lugging reusable shopping bags around a 10-day theme park vacation. To each his/her own!

BatStang2000

Maybe other companies have been doing it and I just never noticed it or did not affect me. Wonder what Disney would say if I whipped out my Kroger bag to put my souvenirs in it.

Actually, they won't say anything. We did just that on our last trip. And likewise, Kroger employees almost always compliment us when we bring in our reusable Disney bags to their store.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Bunny Huggers?
People who care about the environment, which is apparently a bad thing.
Isn’t it supposed to be tree huggers...of course that would be for paper bags, maybe those plastic bags were really made of bunnies;)

See, I actually care more about the environment than bunnies. They eat my garden and generally add very little to society. I mean Bugs bunny was pretty entertaining and I suppose Trix was a pretty decent cereal but outside of that I could really live without them :)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If they improved the resort delivery and pickup options... customer demand for bags would drop too.

Unfortunately the resort delivery option is pretty damn crude and not always useful (too long of delivery windows) and bag pickup for the majority of guests would scare me.
Plus don’t they usually deliver the stuff to you in a plastic bag;)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So that raises a key question about the security checkpoints: if I have bags, but they're empty, folded up and in my pockets, can I still go through the "no bags" line?
Classic dilemma :)

I think it depends on how many bags you have and how big your pockets are. I can’t wait to hear about the first time someone gets snagged sneaking into the park without having their empty bags checked.

21stamps

Again -- so am I -- all the time -- every day!! But in the parks -- given how WE shop -- it would be a huge pain.

Maybe there aren't many of us and I'll be out of luck. I'm fine foregoing some purchases and having others shipped home (with a ton more disposable material, btw) -- but I'm not lugging reusable shopping bags around a 10-day theme park vacation. To each his/her own!

I guess I just don’t understand. What’s the difference between plastic or reusable?
How do you shop that would make it undoable or extremely inconvenient?

Sincere question. I’m really trying to think of how it would make a difference.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Purely out of curiosity, what pickup options would you like to see improved? The only thing I would like to see is their ability to deliver packages on your last day of your vacation. Other than that I have had great success with the current process.

The current multiday requirement is the biggest killer. Most people like to pick out souvenirs as their trip is winding up.... which automatically eliminates package delivery.

I’d like to see next morning delivery.
I’d also like the packages delivered to my room, not having to deal with the gift shop hours.

Allow me to mark the package to hold... to allow me to pickup first thing in the morning... or if not... delivery to my room during the next day.

I’m even fine with a cutoff time like 9pm for next day... but this multi day requirement is a deal breaker.

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Starbucks give a 25p discount if you bring your own cup. But there is a move towards (and I’m not sure they are doing it in every store yet) charging extra on top for paper cups.
So if coffee is £2 and you use your own cup you pay £1.75, drink in using china and it’s £2, take out using paper and it’s £2.10.
Costa in the UK do a similar scheme.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
The current multiday requirement is the biggest killer. Most people like to pick out souvenirs as their trip is winding up.... which automatically eliminates package delivery.

I’d like to see next morning delivery.
I’d also like the packages delivered to my room, not having to deal with the gift shop hours.

Allow me to mark the package to hold... to allow me to pickup first thing in the morning... or if not... delivery to my room during the next day.

I’m even fine with a cutoff time like 9pm for next day... but this multi day requirement is a deal breaker.
That’s a fair complaint and one that I wish they would change as well. I feel like they would see a little bump in sales if they were to make that change.

MickeyMinnieMom

Have you turned on an American news network anytime recently? Pick a network. Apparently based on ratings quite a few people do prefer to be told what they should care about. ;)
Yup. Across the spectrum. But I've never been into that. :)

I guess I just don’t understand. What’s the difference between plastic or reusable?
How do you shop that would make it undoable or extremely inconvenient?

Sincere question. I’m really trying to think of how it would make a difference.
I've laid it all out -- don't want to keep repeating. We can just disagree and maybe acknowledge that we don't all "do Disney" the same way. With any change, some won't care and others will find it problematic or dislike it. Vive la différence!

Nubs70

I am starting to think the airline industry with there up charges has opened a Pandora's box..... I know, Disney has been doing it for awhile for parties,,etc. Maybe other companies have been doing it and I just never noticed it or did not affect me. Wonder what Disney would say if I whipped out my Kroger plastic bag to put my souvenirs in it.
The upcharge for cups is simply greenwashing. The price of the cup is already included. The 7 cents is simple bottom line profit.

21stamps

Yup. Across the spectrum. But I've never been into that. :)

I've laid it all out -- don't want to keep repeating. We can just disagree and maybe acknowledge that we don't all "do Disney" the same way. With any change, some won't care and others will find it problematic or dislike it. Vive la différence!

I hadn’t read the reason. Just went back and read about hotel delivery. Is Disney charging for reusable bags if merchandise is sent to the room? That sounds kind of pointless.
Does anyone know for sure?

Jon81uk

The upcharge for cups is simply greenwashing. The price of the cup is already included. The 7 cents is simple bottom line profit.

But they give a 25p discount if you bring your own cup instead (so overall a 30p saving). Also this was only a trial and I don't think Starbucks extended it. Or sit in and use china and its included in the price.
By law in the UK plastic bags must be charged for, at least 5p and the government expects retailers to donate the majority of the 4p (20% is tax) to charities and most large retailers do. I expect if Starbucks does go back to charging for take out cups then the majority of the fee will go to charity as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom