News Disney removing plastic straws and more by mid-2019

MickeyMinnieMom

Purchasing bags has been a thing here in Europe for years, sales have not dipped and people bring their own bags, carry the items or put them in their pockets, backpacks or whatever. Why do you need four bags? Either take bags from home so you are ready or buy one (or two if necessary) and just share them amongst you, you don’t need a bag each. Empty them out in your room and take the same bags back the next day. You will not end up with a house full if you do it properly, buy a few and constantly reuse them until they fall apart and then recycle them and replace them. It might take a while to get used to but it certainly isn’t difficult.
There are reusable bags everywhere where I live. It’s inevitable that we’re out shopping, forgot bags and have to buy more. We have A TON at home.

Regardless, it’s a different story in the parks for reasons I mentioned. Some inconvenience we all deal with for environmental causes. This is over the top in parks IMO. We can disagree! :)

zachrupertdsn

My SO and I were buying coffee at the Joffrey's booth outside of AK this last week, and the couple in front of us, and couple behind us were confused why they didn't get straws. The husband of the couple behind us even asked "How am I supposed to drink it?", which I sarcastically responded to under my breath by saying "with your mouth".

I think the no straw thing will catch on eventually, it will just take people time.

I have already seen the difference with the bags when we are shopping at the Disney store's around us locally. They started pushing the reusable bags for 99 cents, and we will either pick one up, or just stuff the object in another bag or our backpack. We found ourselves doing that a lot in the parks the last week, just tossing it in our bag if it was small, otherwise we just held it up front until the end of the day. I think it's all about changing people's habits on these things.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
My SO and I were buying coffee at the Joffrey's booth outside of AK this last week, and the couple in front of us, and couple behind us were confused why they didn't get straws. The husband of the couple behind us even asked "How am I supposed to drink it?", which I sarcastically responded to under my breath by saying "with your mouth".

Its purely ecological political theater to placate the bunny huggers.

Here are the costs from foodservice.com which is an authoritative industry source:
  • $0.12 for soda
  • $0.07 for the cup
  • $0.01 for the lid
  • $0.015 for the straw

note2001

Just tossing out here: Reusable bags are not a new thing, yet people seem to think they are. Back in the 70s my grandmother and many of her clients carried mesh bags in their purses to avoid being saddled with paper bags (which had no handles back then).

...and paper straws... well... the well seasoned folk among us will recall trying to drink shakes with paper straws at some big name burger joints. Paper crown optional.

Last edited:

MickeyMinnieMom

We found ourselves doing that a lot in the parks the last week, just tossing it in our bag if it was small, otherwise we just held it up front until the end of the day. I think it's all about changing people's habits on these things.
But if they get rid of plastic bags in parks, you’ll have to buy a bag every time you want something held up front for pickup. If one does that occasionally, no big deal. But if you do that a lot as you shop throughout the day, that gets expensive AND wasteful because you’d be stockpiling reusable bags over a trip. Are people going to bring ALL of them home or just throw some away?

I just think it’s a poor idea for inside parks, while it works fairly well in other places. I’ll be curious to see what they do... and if they eventually undo anything as time goes on...

MickeyMinnieMom

Just tossing out here: Reusable bags are not a new thing, yet people seem to think they are. Back in the 70s my grandmother and many of her clients carried mesh bags in thier purses to avoid being saddled with paper bags (which had no handles back then).
Not new, obviously. Would be new and a different level of inconvenience in parks, IMO.

I like the use of “tossing out” in this context, too!! :)

zachrupertdsn

Its purely ecological political theater to placate the bunny huggers.

Here are the costs from foodservice.com which is an authoritative industry source:
  • $0.12 for soda
  • $0.07 for the cup
  • $0.01 for the lid
  • $0.015 for the straw

But AK has always either used paper straws or had none, so this difference elsewhere isn't really that shocking to me. I just put the cup to my mouth and drink it.

zachrupertdsn

But if they get rid of plastic bags in parks, you’ll have to buy a bag every time you want something held up front for pickup. If one does that occasionally, no big deal. But if you do that a lot as you shop throughout the day, that gets expensive AND wasteful because you’d be stockpiling reusable bags over a trip. Are people going to bring ALL of them home or just throw some away?

I just think it’s a poor idea for inside parks, while it works fairly well in other places. I’ll be curious to see what they do... and if they eventually undo anything as time goes on...

Couldn't they in theory just put all your stuff together up front to be held in a basket? I saw them doing it in the store in Japan that way.

MickeyMinnieMom

Couldn't they in theory just put all your stuff together up front to be held in a basket? I saw them doing it in the store in Japan that way.
The logistics in one store vs bringing to the front of the park without losing anything (particularly smaller items)? Doesn’t seem like a great idea to me.

And what about those (like me) who send stuff to the hotel? Gonna’ send a basket there as well?

We all want to love the environmentally friendly stuff. Some of it makes sense, some of it doesn’t.

21stamps

Yes, cause the only thing that comes out of fountains is sugary soda. (rolling my eyes)

Anything that comes out of those fountain machines is not milk, water, or real juice.

I’m sure there’s parents who allow fountain drinks for 2 year olds, I just doubt that it’s the majority.. so I think the spill worry there is probably overblown.

21stamps

First, ice water comes in a cup at Disney, not just fountain drinks. Second, MY drink comes in a cup at Disney, and it's on the same table. But thanks for judging our parenting skills.

If you’re using ice and water it might be easier to just bring a sippy cup.. not being snarky, just a suggestion.

zachrupertdsn

The logistics in one store vs bringing to the front of the park without losing anything (particularly smaller items)? Doesn’t seem like a great idea to me.

And what about those (like me) who send stuff to the hotel? Gonna’ send a basket there as well?

We all want to love the environmentally friendly stuff. Some of it makes sense, some of it doesn’t.

I just got back from a trip, I had a couple things shipped to my hotel and they didn't come in plastic bags. Now granted, it was boxed items with more size, but they were just there. Maybe they are already switching to a non-bag delivery option?

MickeyMinnieMom

I just got back from a trip, I had a couple things shipped to my hotel and they didn't come in plastic bags. Now granted, it was boxed items with more size, but they were just there. Maybe they are already switching to a non-bag delivery option?
Not in Aug with non-boxed items. How would they manage that? Aforementioned baskets?

Reusable boxes that they take back? Peapod tried that in our area... boxes with loose grocery items inside (no bags)... they lost so many boxes in the process and apparently received so many complaints about inconvenience that they’ve gone back to including plastic bags!

Not every environmentally friendly idea is a good one.

Last edited:

MickeyMinnieMom

People who care about the environment, which is apparently a bad thing.
I happen to love bunnies (!!) and am not the PP, but I take such terms to mean “loving” the environment without any regard to the facts — to how much any initiative actually makes sense or would actually help. Often reflexively accepting any initiative under the banner of “caring about the environment” without examining it. Some bristle against facts on such issues. That’s just silly.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom