Disney Quest to close in July 2017

jmancan

Take the blinders off pal, The ONLY reason I know about the gang affiliations was I wore my Celtics cap to my wife's school when I brought her something she needed and the resource officer asked me to remove my hat or leave the building. Asked why and officer said policy was because of gang affiliations being covertly advertised using athletic wear.

THAT's how I know has ZERO to do with racism and everything to do with a local government policy and I live in farm country where gangs supposedly don't exist.

Here's a Link from the NC Gang Investigators Associationon the subject.

www.ncgangcops.org/archives/Team%20Logos.pdf

And another from the NY Post

http://nypost.com/2012/08/26/no-good-comes-from-gang-inspired-sports-apparel/

So if your local team wins the playoffs and your kid is sent home because of wearing something associated with a sports team this is WHY.

"
Our ultimate goal at Walt Disney World is the creation of happiness for others. Were not reformers . . . remakers of the complex human element. We give everyone the same VIP treatment regardless of race, creed. color, politics or color of sport shirt.

We ask that you leave your prejudices at home before you come to work. Within Walt Disney World, you must accept people as they are…not as you might prefer them to be.

We must constantly remind each guest that were glad that he or she is here—with us—as our guest…that he or she belongs in Walt Disney World."

This was in the Walt Disney World employee manual. In 1973.

Get with the times.

Mike730

I hate to be a pessimist but I wouldn't hope for any great Disney-run attractions in DisneyQuest's place. Anything that goes there will only last until a 3rd party makes a decent offer.

freediverdude

Actually I can't really think of anything that would fit well into that building. It's a really huge building, but it's more tall than wide. It's really too tall and thin to be a theater, plus the support structure and elevators and such would be in the way. It really was custom built to be a Disney Quest. It would make a good club, but probably not a good restaurant because of all the levels. It also doesn't have the good flow of a retail space either, lots of small hallways, staircases and elevators. Unfortunately if it was me consulting them, I would tell them to either refurbish and update and keep as a Disney Quest, or tear down.

WDWVolFan

I didn't expect this, but the NBA to me isn't a good it. While there are international Basketball teams outside of the NBA, I really question the popularity of the NBA outside of the United States.
The NBA is VERY popular.
Me being Brazilian born have been following the NBA since cable became the norm in the early 90s down in Brazil. It's extremely popular.
Many folks when they travel to the US, schedule a day or night to go watch an NBA game live.

beast

That goes against the whole reason PI and DTD closed.

The company don't want to pay to operate and maintain. They want third parties to pay them for the privilege.

My suggestion goes against the grain. Puts the Disney in Disney Springs. Doing what I suggested could be accomplished on
a small budget. You would have CMs for merchandise, food/beverage, maintenance, and exhibits. Merch and food/beverage
brings in some money. Make the merch Walt Disney specific (unique merch that can only be purchased at this location).

Disney Springs has Disney operated/maintained shops and food/beverage locations. They're all not third party.

homerdance

So lets get back to the business side of things. ESPN (thats the Disney sports channel) is going to be losing its captive audience and their monthly dollars. Disney is already paying the NFL 1.9 billion a year for Monday Night Football and for 2016 the NBA 1.4 billion. In October they cut 300 ESPN employees just to maintain profitability.

Tell me why the NBA not coming to Disney Springs is a bad thing ? If ESPN wasn't part of a programming bundle its estimated that it would cost ~ $27 by itself to keep the same levels of coverage. You cant find one of the major cable providers that does not lump it in with the top tier packages so customers are forced to buy it.

I think instead of profitability you mean maintain margins.

Rodan75

I am not criticizing it, I am just saying they may have gone with theming that had a low risk of running afoul of the contract with Universal.

Given the amount of Marvel merch in the parks, I think they are pushing against the contract hard already.

Biff215

Disney Springs has Disney operated/maintained shops and food/beverage locations. They're all not third party.
But far fewer than at any time in its existence. I'm sure if they have enough takers, Disney would have no problem bulldozing DQ and putting up smaller shops. They were hoping that the NBA would allow them to keep the building and renovate at the expense of the tenant, all while collecting rent.

I think they'll continue to operate DQ until a better offer comes along (much like Virgin closing and until Splitsville came along). But I agree with others that the current building leaves few possible uses for the space. Better to start from scratch, but probably not what they were hoping as they finally complete the DS project this year.

John

I actually like the theater idea, you can customize any building anyway you want to.....of course with enough money ( I know, something Disney would not likely want to do). But in between Broadway productions why not have maybe some comedy acts, magic acts etc. Make it more upscale.....the price of the tickets would avoid the whole PI thing. Maybe have the Adventures club act there a few times a year. Third party? If there is money to be made I am sure there is one out there. I think it helps to provide some "adult" entertainment" that is needed at WDW.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I think instead of profitability you mean maintain margins.

When you reference Disney beancounters "profit margin" and "profitability" they are synonymous If their ROI isn't hitting orders of magnitude above the red line, its a disaster. Merely paying the bills isn't enough.

beast

But far fewer than at any time in its existence. I'm sure if they have enough takers, Disney would have no problem bulldozing DQ and putting up smaller shops. They were hoping that the NBA would allow them to keep the building and renovate at the expense of the tenant, all while collecting rent.

I think they'll continue to operate DQ until a better offer comes along (much like Virgin closing and until Splitsville came along). But I agree with others that the current building leaves few possible uses for the space. Better to start from scratch, but probably not what they were hoping as they finally complete the DS project this year.

Correct. The point is there are still Disney owned/operated venues at Disney Springs. With the huge expansion there would be no way for Disney to own and operate every store/restaurant/bar/entertainment venue there. To the shock of some, there is only so much Mickey that you can buy.

Disney would definitely have no issues with someone else bulldozing the Disney Quest building. I've never been in DQ. I did watch a walk-through video on Youtube of it. As the building is there is no way to turn that building into a theater. IIRC, there were narrow hallways connecting the different attractions and the elevator(s) were in the middle of the building. The building is simply really ugly. It's nothing more than a box. The fact that there are no windows is scary (in the event of a fire).

I just looked at the building on Google Earth. I don't think the footprint of the building and the backstage area would be sufficient for
a theater. The place for a theater would be in the parking lot north of Cirque du Soleil. As mentioned by someone in this thread we
don't know if Cirque du Soleil has an item in their contract with Disney that would prevent Disney from opening another theatrical
venue at Disney Springs.

If Disney doesn't find another company to reuse the Disney Quest building and Disney doesn't want to refurbish Disney Quest, then I say tear the building down. It's ugly. Start again with a new idea.

Disney Springs will be completed this year. Disney Quest will continue as is. Something will eventually happen with that location, but not
in time for the grand opening of Disney Springs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom